my friends and i started playing magic again

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

my friends and i started playing magic again

Post by jawn galliano »

first time in like 15 years y'all. after the subject randomly came up while we were out to dinner a few weeks ago, and we discovered that we still remembered all the really bitchin' cards from back in the day and the basic mechanics of the game, a bunch of us decided to go out and buy some cheap decks. turns out it is still pretty goddamned fun, although i have a much more cynical view of the game's overall design now that i can better understand it from a behavioral/learning perspective. this shit is addictive by design

any of y'all hoes used to play them shits
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Re: my friends and i started playing magic again

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Been playing this shit since 97 :chetty:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

do you still play :shock:

i was active from unlimited thru around the time mirage came out. and then i stopped for a very long time
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Magic is something I always wanted to learn and play but never got around to.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura"]do you still play :shock:

i was active from unlimited thru around the time mirage came out. and then i stopped for a very long time[/quote]

Aye. Been playing with the same core group of people too. We try and get together at least once a month and play for like 12 hours :redneck:.
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I started between weatherlight and tempest
Ninny wrote:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

i never had any friends into this :eyes:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Abzu"]Magic is something I always wanted to learn and play but never got around to.[/quote]

On the surface it seems pretty easy. But once you start digging into all the game mechanics and building a deck you'll wanna pull your fucking hair out.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="Abzu"]Magic is something I always wanted to learn and play but never got around to.[/quote]

it's fucking rad and you should learn it

you can buy an intro pack. it is a prefab deck with a couple of booster packs for $15; it replaced the old starter decks which were like a tenner and completely random outside of the basic compositional structure (e.g., X number of lands, X number of rares/uncommons/commons, and a rulebook which was very small but dense with information). it also comes with a foldout poster containing the basic rules of the game which are super easy to pick up. it can get pretty hairy once you start trying to figure out how everything resolves when everyone's activating 20 abilities in reaction to each other though

[quote name="Nick"]I started between weatherlight and tempest[/quote]

that means you probably started right around the time i quit :redneck: i had to look up the chronology of the sets, and the last one i remember buying anything from was visions. that block was when they introduced the phasing mechanic and probably a couple of others, and i had largely lost interest at that point though.

do you keep current or stick to a particular format? pretty much everything i've got right now is from the most recent block so it's all pretty fresh. i just ordered the mono black event deck from born of the gods because someone told me it was a good counter for green creature-heavy builds :chetty:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

And if you are even remotely competitive it can get a bit expensive. Whichof course me and everyone i play with are :oldryan:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh yeah, that was always the case though. i reckon the only way to keep it reasonable, cost-wise, is to play the current block where boosters are cheap and plentiful.

i checked up on the prices of some of the old killer rares i used to have and it made me want to cry because i dumped them when the market was pretty much bottomed out. i sold a stack of dual lands back in the day for a couple hundo that would no joke fetch probably $15-20k right now at retail rates.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura"]

it's fucking rad and you should learn it

you can buy an intro pack. it is a prefab deck with a couple of booster packs for $15; it replaced the old starter decks which were like a tenner and completely random outside of the basic compositional structure (e.g., X number of lands, X number of rares/uncommons/commons, and a rulebook which was very small but dense with information). it also comes with a foldout poster containing the basic rules of the game which are super easy to pick up. it can get pretty hairy once you start trying to figure out how everything resolves when everyone's activating 20 abilities in reaction to each other though[/quote]

They sell sets with 2 pre fab decks too if you think mini abzu could handle it.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh yeah them duel deck thingies. two complete decks that are tuned to be good matchups for each other for like $25 :bulb:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura"]

[quote name="Nick"]I started between weatherlight and tempest[/quote]

that means you probably started right around the time i quit :redneck: i had to look up the chronology of the sets, and the last one i remember buying anything from was visions. that block was when they introduced the phasing mechanic and probably a couple of others, and i had largely lost interest at that point though.

do you keep current or stick to a particular format? pretty much everything i've got right now is from the most recent block so it's all pretty fresh. i just ordered the mono black event deck from born of the gods because someone told me it was a good counter for green creature-heavy builds :chetty:[/quote]

We play vintage with some house rules. We all have cards from damn near every set. Ain't gonna start over every time a new block comes out. I'll post up one of my decks when I get home.
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Hey stormy use the gatherer :santa:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i have seen this thing and it is wondrous

i eagerly await the posting of your decklist :greenie:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Edh is what really fucked up some card prices
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura"]i eagerly await the posting of your decklist :greenie:[/quote]

one of my current favorites to play is a black/blue mill deck :goner:

instant

brain freeze x 3

dream twist x4

grisly spectacle x2

dark ritual x2

counterspell x2

quash x2

sorcery

foresee x2

traumatize x2

temporal mastery x1

haunting echoes x2

memory sluice x4

artifact

ensnaring bridge x2

feldon's cane x1

creature

ravenous rats x2

hedron crab x4

drowner initiate x3

wall of souls x2

land

dimir aqueduct x4

bad river x4

swamp x6

island x6
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

what is this edh you speak of

also i will look at the feasibility of reconstructing that deck sometime next week after i get back from the weekend's wedding trip
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

EDH is a format for playing Magic the Gathering. The general idea is that each player starts with a 100 card deck with only one copy of each card at most. You have a commander, (a legendary creature) all cards in your deck can't be any color your commander isn't. Your commander starts in your command zone outside of your deck. You may cast it normally the first time, but each time after that it will cost an additional 2 colorless mana to produce for each time it has been casted before. If your commander deals 21 combat damage to a player over the course of the game that player loses the game.

:fuckoff:
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Off the top of my head it'd probably be north of $40 to build
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

ensnaring bridge prices skyrocketed. them shits is up to $20 or so a piece :shock:.
Ninny wrote:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

a buddy of mine worked for a big magic distributor - <!-- m -->http://www.trollandtoad.com/<!-- m -->

he's told me some crazy stories about some of the corruption and bad security practices they had going on, some of it even involved the fbi :shock: :oldryan:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

troll and toad are one of the biggest online retailers for ccg stuff. ordered from them a handful of times. but i prefer to go with the local stores if its an option.
Ninny wrote:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

according to my fellating lover they were at one point storing sensitive customer information in plain text, i assume they have corrected these issues by now though.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I'd certainly hope so. I can honestly say Ive never had any issues with them in the past 15 years.
Ninny wrote:
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

I have a pretty damn good zombie deck from the onslaught block, with a couple mirrodon cards thrown in. Also it contains no rares.

It's never won, but it did pretty well in some tournaments back in its day. I recently bought a set of two pre-cons because they both had a planeswalker card in them, but I have yet to actually play the planeswalkers....they look pretty cool and they add an interesting dynamic to gameplay.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Holocaust
Metal God

Post by Holocaust »

Always thought this was kinda gay but then I remember how much money I've spent on drugs so :brushteeth:
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

Faghole.

jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="Nick"]ensnaring bridge prices skyrocketed. them shits is up to $20 or so a piece :shock:.[/quote]

piecing it together, i came up to $45 before the ensnaring bridges, although there were a couple cards they didn't have in stock. only two bad rivers and one wall of souls. not bad altogether, if there's a viable substitute for the bridges i might put that together sometime when i have some extra cash to throw around, it looks fiendishly annoying to play against which is my favorite style of deck to use :redneck:
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

The only Magic I have played was on Xbox live. It was called Duel of the Planeswalkers or something like that. I got it for free. Very addictive.
Humor ist nichts nichts Normales, also niemand der normal ist, braucht Humor...Humor braucht man nur, um von sowas tief in einem drin abzulenken, so dieses Gefühl von Unausgeglichenheit, diese nagende, kratzende Leere, die man so in sich spürt.
scunt.
Metal God

Post by scunt. »

itt: pizza burgers
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jorsh">
Omg Ali is so hot I want to fuck both nostrils, earholes, even his armpits and elbows. Basically I want to fuck him everywhere except his ass and mouth.

To jizzfinity and beyond
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura">
also when you exit an unsuccessful interview you should just leave them with: 'if you can't slam with the best, you'll just have to jam with the rest'
</blockquote>
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Get back on your incowagon and depart this thread, infidel.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura"]
[quote name="Nick"]ensnaring bridge prices skyrocketed. them shits is up to $20 or so a piece :shock:.[/quote]

piecing it together, i came up to $45 before the ensnaring bridges, although there were a couple cards they didn't have in stock. only two bad rivers and one wall of souls. not bad altogether, if there's a viable substitute for the bridges i might put that together sometime when i have some extra cash to throw around, it looks fiendishly annoying to play against which is my favorite style of deck to use :redneck:[/quote]

Crawlspace immediately comes to mind
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

If you work it right between the brain freeze, crabs, initiates and memory sluice you can fucking ruin them
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i was actually laughing to myself looking at the descriptions on those, just imagining how demoralizing it would be to get a few of the more potent mill effects off in a single turn.

that crawlspace looks like a fine substitute. and really it would go well in any of my decks because all of my friends like playing creature-heavy shit, and none of my decks really deal with that well. my blue/white is based on the detain mechanic, so it can definitely stall pretty well, but it lacks strong removal options so a lot of the time it just amounts to delaying the inevitable.
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

I hate playing blue, as or against. It seems so cheesy to counter everything your opponent does.

Also a buddy back in the day (onslaught block) had a white soldier deck, and we played a huge group game with like 9 people and he was such a douche with it, he had complete control over the whole board and Just complete douche shit, like keeping us from attacking each other and shit. He was a really good player though and really knew how to build decks.

Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

I mistook "magic" for "music" so I'm not as excited for you as I would have been :oldryan:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura"]i was actually laughing to myself looking at the descriptions on those, just imagining how demoralizing it would be to get a few of the more potent mill effects off in a single turn[/quote]

Let's assume its a few turns and you've got 2 crabs in play. Play your land this turn and mill 6 cards with the crabs. Cast memory sluice and tap both creatures to copy it for 8 cards. Let's say for shits and giggles you play a dream twist for another 3 cards. Now would come brain freeze for 12 cards since you played 3 spells before. So for 4 mana you can take 29 cards and pretty well fuck them over :redneck:.
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura"]that crawlspace looks like a fine substitute. and really it would go well in any of my decks because all of my friends like playing creature-heavy shit, and none of my decks really deal with that well. my blue/white is based on the detain mechanic, so it can definitely stall pretty well, but it lacks strong removal options so a lot of the time it just amounts to delaying the inevitable.[/quote]

Crawlspace is great if you have nice big fat meat shields who can survive. Wall of souls is one of my favorites cause well no one wants to eat the damage they were trying to throw out.

[quote name="TamPron"]I hate playing blue, as or against. It seems so cheesy to counter everything your opponent does.[/quote]

Sure that's what the bulk of blue is but it can fucking wreck shit now as a mono color if you know how to really build.
Ninny wrote:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

wow, who would have thought there would be so much magic love in here

i played it a few times when i was a kid, i remember it being fun. never spent any money on it though. i think the last time i played would have been in 1997
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="TamPron"]I hate playing blue, as or against. It seems so cheesy to counter everything your opponent does.[/quote]

personally, i like them just because completely mindfucking your opponent as soon as they start to build momentum and begin feeling confident is really satisfying. flustering them means they're less likely to exercise their best options after you fuck up their day. counter style decks are cheap and effective in terms of mechanics, but their real strength i think is really in that metagame aspect.

obviously, the relative strength of that style is heavily dependent on the matchup, both in terms of deck composition and the person you're playing. i can say for sure though that i am the perfect kind of person to use that style of play against; it's just lucky for me that my friends all prefer certain styles of deck construction rather than going for whatever works best :redneck:

[quote name="User"]wow, who would have thought there would be so much magic love in here

i played it a few times when i was a kid, i remember it being fun. never spent any money on it though. i think why so serious machine last time i played would have been in 1997[/quote]

i definitely did not expect a two-pager, i am pleasantly surprised

also we stopped playing around the same time
Holocaust
Metal God

Post by Holocaust »

Adulthood? :redneck:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

1997 was my freshman year of high school, so not quite
scunt.
Metal God

Post by scunt. »

old ass secretary of state
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jorsh">
Omg Ali is so hot I want to fuck both nostrils, earholes, even his armpits and elbows. Basically I want to fuck him everywhere except his ass and mouth.

To jizzfinity and beyond
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura">
also when you exit an unsuccessful interview you should just leave them with: 'if you can't slam with the best, you'll just have to jam with the rest'
</blockquote>
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

1994 was mine :oldryan:
;,,;
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura"]
[quote name="User"]wow, who would arrears thought there would be so much magic love in here

i played it a few times when i was a kid, i remember it being fun. never spent any money on it though. i submit why so serious machine last time i played would arrears been in 1997[/quote]

i definitely did not expect a two-pager, i am pleasantly surprised

also we stopped playing around why so serious machine same time[/quote]

I could get this bitch up to a bunch of pages :chetty:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i ordered the underworld herald deck from amazon since i had a bunch of credit on there and nothing else to spend it on.

it arrived today and i did some test draws and it seems really fun

but i've got nobody to play it against until maybe tomorrow if not the weekend :eyes:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Those pre con decks are great for starters. But ultimately they won't do shit if you play with anyone who has any experience.
Ninny wrote: