Do you jagoffs really think David was responsible for MA's style change

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Grudge
Metal God

Do you jagoffs really think David was responsible for MA's style change

Post by Grudge »

Why don't you pipe the fuck down and get a clue. The more probable scenario is that Trey, being the desperate dude that he is wanted to get laid more and tried to make music that he thought would make him more mainstream and ended up totally fucking it up. That's what really happened splendid mate of mine.
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Do you jagoffs really think David was responsible for MA's style change

Post by zim »

I think you're wrong splendid mate of mine, also fuck you

Trey and David shared writing credit on nearly every song on Illud. I think David brought more to the table than Trey did on that album. Some of the songs on Illud even sound like they are influenced by Genitorturers music.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

The three industrial/techno tracks were completely written bij Trey. David wrote all the lyrics, the intro, Radikult and I am Morbid.
I think the tone and subjects of the lyrics attributed to the weird feel of the album.
I also think that because of the musical direction Trey took on those tracks, Vincent was inspired to go radikult. Not the other way around.

Had Trey wanted to make a full-blown Death Metal album that's what we would have gotten. The man always had a very clear picture in mind concerning his music. Just to quote a recent remark:

"Even if no one liked this idea I was still going to do it cause thats the kinda freaky artist I am"

Remember that Steve was higly disapointed concerning the final heretic mix? That was completely Trey's vision of how he wanted the album to sound.

It is way to easy to blame the whole Illud chaper on David Vincent.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

My guess is that Trey had a pretty good idea of the sound and style he wanted to explore, but never quite got it right (maybe he never would have) before the label pressured the band to put out something for the time and money that had already gone into it.  Even if that isn't the case, I can at least in principle respect what Trey was apparently trying to do. 

I cannot say the same about David Vincent's caroonish machismo, which to me is what made a swing and a miss musical experiment almost unlistenable.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote="Paste Human"]
My guess is that Trey had a pretty good idea of the sound and style he wanted to explore, but never quite got it right (maybe he never would have) before the label pressured the band to put out something for the time and money that had already gone into it.  Even if that isn't the case, I can at least in principle respect what Trey was apparently trying to do. 

I cannot say the same about David Vincent's caroonish machismo, which to me is what made a swing and a miss musical experiment almost unlistenable.
[/quote]
Agreed. The shift in musical style in combination with a complete different lyrical direction sounds kind of clueless. The artwork does not fit the music. Where as in the past it all fitted together.

It feels like a abandoned experiment released to recapture some of the investments.
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

What I dislike the most at IDI are vocals and lyrics, and this is David's part. I also dislike David's style as a frontman, all this macho thing. In my opinion Steve is better vocalist, he seems to be more natural as a human. I can't be sure if album with Steve will be better than IDI, but I'm sure it will be different, and for me that's enough.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I could have dealt with the musical change if not for David's completely idiotic lyrivs and half-assed vocals on that album. This was not the delivery of the man who did Altars, Blessed, and Covenant, nor even Domination. The musical direction for Illud was clearly Trey and I don't think anyone could rationally say otherwise. It also feels rushed and I wonder about attributing some of that to David. I got the impression that he was pushing for a new album to happen and Trey was maybe not as motivated to write one as in the past.

Long story short, if it had been IDI's music with good vocals, it would have been a surprising meh instead of a surprising shit.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

First of all, fuck you splendid mate of mine xD

Then, David was part of it. He gave massive support for the shit Trey was trying to convey (For which I hold him with a higher degree of responsibility than Dave) but still he embraced that shitfest called Illud Anus. If he had some kind of integrity, I think he wouldn't give any type of support to it. If I was him, I would've jump off the fucking wreck that Illud turned out to be.

So yeah, he is involved ergo he is responsible. Just not alone.
Wide open 'til you see God, then BRAKE!

Kevin Schwantz #34 - Team Suzuki Lucky Strike
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

splendid mate of mine, I actually agree with this splendid mate of mine for once, splendid mate of mine.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

[quote="Abzu"]
splendid mate of mine, I actually agree with this splendid mate of mine for once, splendid mate of mine.
[/quote]

You're motherfuckingly wrong, splendid mate of mine. You agreed with me on that stupid motherfucking "Is Trey married" thread, splendid mate of mine
Wide open 'til you see God, then BRAKE!

Kevin Schwantz #34 - Team Suzuki Lucky Strike
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

splendid mate of mine, looks like I did. That's motherfucking two. :shock: :motherfuck:
;,,;
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

[quote="Lt. Conrad Gillett"]
Why don't you pipe the fuck down and get a clue. The more probable scenario is that Trey, being the desperate dude that he is wanted to get laid more and tried to make music that he thought would make him more mainstream and ended up totally fucking it up. That's what really happened cheese dildo away.
[/quote]
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

In all seriousness, I do believe people need to get over the mistake that was the latest album. I believe it was the result of a combination of Trey and Vincent's desires to change.... It happens and is not the end of the world.  Clearly Vincent's departure symbolizes that they recognize the album wasn't their best work.