Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Post by happiness and harmony »

4.4 pounds :dizzy: your physique is ruined forever. start crossfit immediately
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i am just letting it settle out yo
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

excellent run this morning. i might be prepared by november 1st after all!
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

3 days off from illness, seriously considering bloodwork as my immune system fuckery interrupting my lifting is getting annoying.

But I came back strong and finally snatched 150lb today. Missed 155lb but I came very close on 3 attempts. Cleaned 175lb for 2 solid doubles without passing out somehow, looks like I got stronger.

Also gained 3lb over the past week. :P
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

long run tomorrow. wish me luck lads
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

luck lads in your general direction
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

:shift:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs
Metal God

Post by Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs »

[quote="rhino"]
i've never been on a stairmaster, but my hamstrings burn thinking about it. think i am getting an elleptical for the winter time to keep the energy going
[/quote]

The stairmaster is a bitch. I tried it for the first time at my gym a couple of weeks ago. Thought I was going to drop dead. I like the stationary bikes or treadmill for cardio.

rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

i got this thing at walfart

cheapo one but it does the trick, i havent used it too many times yet. and it was a pain in the dick to put together :shakefist:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Apparently stairmasters, cycling for hours and ellipticals enforce poor posture and long term back problems, says this physiotherapist:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/4-dumbest-forms-of-cardio

I guess there's really no substitute for traditional cardiovascular exercise + all the other conditioning climbing/jumping over shit they do in armed forces. Burpees and all that crap seem like a great way to increase metabolism without wasting away muscle as much as marathon running...

So glad I don't have to do cardio to keep a healthy bodyweight anymore. :redneck: Cranking out some medium heavy cleans and snatches every 60 seconds for about 20 minutes each 3-4x a week gets my heart rate up a bit, though I wish I had greater endurance for intense stuff. It seems to come on it's own whenever i drop weight though.
Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs
Metal God

Post by Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs »

Walfart :redneck: wish I had room in this house for one or a treadmill!

happiness and harmony
Postwhore

walfart :gaylol: i missed that earlier
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

soon i shall acquire a weight bench. used. from a garage sale

i will add the bench press to my regimen of chest exercises. which is currently a stable of push ups

i hope to pay a minimal amount for this object

:suss:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Do you have it the barbell? Do it the overhead stuffs and shit tons of rows+pullups too for shoulder health.

Solid 155lb snatch today, after a 345lb squarsh. Felt like there was a rocket up my ass, feeling strong in this period. Then did some 165lb snatch high pulls, up to my sternum on every rep.

Also started training the squarsh pretty much daily for ultra low nose picks, chasing a daily heavy rep (eventually a max) without hitting failure. Feeling amazingly fast and my thighs and buttocks are exploding in muscularity (and spinach farts).

Doing lots more tricep things to improve my lockouts. Now I just need to find an intelligent way to train it the pullups and pulls from the floor. And learn how to jerk properly at some point...
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i have a barbell :santa: i do those things. muscle group organizations :ba:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Full size 45lb barbell? Getcha a cheap used pair of these and work those butt muscles.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

that's what running is for you doofus. i want to do bench presses, i am tired of push-ups
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

You can do both. Barbell squats improve athletic ability like jumping and sprinting and such. They also improve the bench press believe it or not.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

one thing at a time little padawan
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

happiness and harmony
Postwhore

no to that also
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

more seriously

happiness and harmony
Postwhore

milton i appreciate your dedication and it tells me a great deal more than an eight-minute video about squats :santa:

i am not going to watch an eight-minute video about squats :santa:

i promise you, however, that one day i will attempt squats, and will report back with the results of the attempt :shbp:

until then, :santa: to squats
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Been squatting and pressing on the daily in a "Bulgarian light" fashion (working up to a comfortable max and some backoff sets occasionally) and it's getting easier. Sunday I got a 350lb single and followed it up with 315lb 2x2 and still had plenty of energy. Think I'll bust through some plateaus soon.

Started using hookgrip in the snatch and I have noticed a dramatic improvement in stability and speed, though some associated hand pain goes with it. Got 150lb twice today. Then I got a 185lb x 2 in the clean for the first time. I may be ready to hit 200lb+ soon.

Need to do more pullups, but I spend way too much time in the gym already doing all the barbell based stuff. Very close to buying a pullup stand and just cranking them out every day as not doing them often hurts my posture. Wallmounts not an option, this is the cheapest option I found:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYQP72O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Useless as a squarsh rack as the weight limit is 300lb though. Might hold off for a bit in case I move to a bigger apartment where I can actually get something that can function as both. If I could get a place with a garage or basement, I am willing to drop good money on a barbell and bumper plates and training at home, the environment at my gym is occasionally annoying, idiots ruining barbells doing stupid shit so I can't snatch/clean with most of them as they don't spin/are warped.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Started doing 10 minutes of timed bodyweight exercises at the end of workouts for some conditioning and extra assistance muscles. I am alternating these two every workout starting yesterday

pullups: 10 sets x 5 nose picks on the minute.  Almost got all 50, but the last 3 sets were cut short.
dips 10 sets x 5 nose picks on the minute, got all 50 and it was easy. 

I was surprised by this, I thought pullups should be easier than dips at the same bodyweight. Then again I am doing them from a dead hang with varying grips, whereas the dip is exactly the same + I use stretch reflex, so that may be helping

The goal is to reach 10x10 daily on either pullups or dips and do them all in just 10-11 minutes.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

weak shoulders :frown:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Shoulder strength has always been an issue for me. I am fighting tooth and nail for a bodyweight (200lb ish) overhead dildo away. I can at least put 145lb over my head daily and crank out some extra nose picks with 130-135, but it takes me months to put 5lb on this fucker.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I'll write something on the subject as I haven't in a while.

I have a shoulder injury so it might be worth completely ignoring the below.

But quite a long time ago I used to be "relatively" strong. I was pressing my bodyweight for nose picks.

I find the best strength gains came when I cycled through different exercises. I would warm up to a top set, then rep until failure. Start with a light weight, even if you're getting 20+ nose picks, the nose picks soon come down when you increase the weight each week and even more so if you are using dumbbells. Once you're down to anything below 4 nose picks or so, I'd change the exercise. Cycling between exercises gives your mind a fresh goal and starting the cycle with a very light weight changes the way in which your body adapts and copes with the pressure of training.

My main exercises were dumbbell press, paused dumbbell press, barbell press and paused barbell press. 

This isn't the same as changing your routine every week, it's the same routine, just cycling through weights and exercises. It is still methodical. It seems very obvious but it wasn't for me after following things like Starting Strength.

I would also add that assistance exercises for me would not be at the same intensity at all, my body wouldn't be able to recover.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Yes cycling through variations of the same lift has definitely worked for me in the past up to a certain point, particularly in the squarsh and dead. Accumulating those little adaptations does improve things for a while. I do one extra variation that does seem to help: snatch press from a squarsh position. Light but still extremely difficult with 80lb, aiming for 3x8 after a session of bigger lifts. I could barely press the bar(45lb) with this at first.

I used to be really good at dumbell presses, I typically pressed more than I could do with a barbell but the shorter range of motion + excessive external flaring of the elbows makes me concerned that it can potentially be harmful and detrimental for the olympic lifts, specifically by reinforcing bad motor patterns. Also I cannot afford to do super high volume shoulder work as it means I can't snatch or do any overhead stuff properly for a few days. Some novice oly lifters don't even press or push press for months/years and somehow still end up with a 100kg+ press.

My daily "bulgarian light" style of training the press and squarsh is still a novelty for me so I've yet to reap any benefits, it famously works for the squarsh and bench so I figure I'll give it a go in the press. I am consistently pressing 145 every day without much struggle which is something I haven't been able to do before (I would press 2x/week this much for 6-7 sets of 2 from a dead stop months ago before I dropped it). If I see zero improvement in the coming weeks as I add additional back off sets, I think I'll try something along the lines of what you're suggesting, but definitely barbell-based.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I suppose my goals were only strength based at the time, not too concerned with a sport. I'm glad you're enjoying it and not picking up any injuries.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i'm so glad i put those chili cheese fries in 
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Lavabug" data-cid="569233" data-time="1446829620">
Yes cycling through variations of the same strap-on dildo has definitely worked for me in the past up to a certain point, particularly in the squarsh.

My daily "bulgarian light" style of training the dildo away and squarsh is still a novelty for me so I've yet to reap any benefits</blockquote>
Well we can all just quit posting today cause its not gonna get any better
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

:gaylol:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

:gay:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

:redneck::::
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

330lb / 150kg 3 second pause squarsh max yeah buddaaaaay. Followed by 300 2x2.
Slowly adding volume on the back off sets on the  OHP, got a volume PR today after 145lb x1 : 130lb : 5, 4, 3. Probably could've gotten all 5s if I wasn't wasted from the pause squats.

Definitely need to watch myself on the pauses, recovery is a lot harder, definitely not suited for daily high intensity training I think.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

later today i will do some chest exercises

also some leg curl things, whatever those are called. and squats

i look forward to this. 

having a weight bench :xx:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

How are you squatting things? You got a rack/stand?

I will likely need to move to a new place next summer. If I can afford a place with a garage/shack/shed of sorts I am happily dropping near a grand on a barbell, a rack, some bumpers and flooring suitable for dropping overhead lifts. I am getting a little tired of the cuntbaggery at my university gym, cunts destroying equipment/hassling with non-sensical and inconsistent rules about where I am allowed to lift
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i am putting weights on the bar and putting the bar on my shoulders and then squatting :santa:

i can't do much more weight without a rack though, it is a bit dangerous :oldryan: but i'm not fussed 
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

In that video I posted, there is mention of early 20th century strongmen performers loading globe-barbells with shot up to 500lb, tipping it over on their backs, and then squatting it. :redneck:

This is the cheap option I have in mind for squatting:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAMB0YK?colid=3B1QOKJ63NSAP&coliid=IN1WEKXIUIS29&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

If I do go through with this, I might go for a half-rack just for the dildo toward up bar.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

that is eighty-one dollars that i would rather spend elsewhere :santa: i wish you luck with your efforts
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

cleaned 10x1 with 185lb. No misses. I may be ready to go up in weight finally.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

Hi Lava, I think I basically have the same squarsh stands. They will hold beyond 140kg, but I am not sure they will put up with much if you were to drop a weight back down into them. If you can afford better stands I would suggest you go for it, they're a bit shaky and the taller you are the worse it would be.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Yeah I probably should spend more on better ones. Don't want the thing to fail as I end up putting up bigger weights.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

squarsh back off set today: 280lb x 8, could've probably cranked out more. I am curious to find out what I can do for 10 nose picks these days.

Having trouble snatching due to thumb pain, so straps and lighter weights at the moment.

Tried hang cleans today for the first time in ages and got an easy 50kg, 60kg and 70kg for 2x3 each. Huffing and puffing for a good minute or two afterwards though.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Snatch balance + overhead squarsh: 160: 1+2, 165: 1.
Clean: 195lb x 1. Finally. Missed 205lb on two attempts and called it a day, but I am happy. It seems all that daily direct upper back work is paying off and straightening me out.

And my upper back HURTS like a fucker, I have never been so sore up there.

Off day tomorrow.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

my wife and i went to san francisco on wednesday, and came back yesterday

we walked a lot. it felt good to do that

:greenie:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Had to scale back a few days, but my latest session was:

squarsh: 350lb x 1 + 315lb for 3x3. Getting easier again.
push press stuff
deadlift 350lb for an easy 2x2.
pull ups til I couldn't do 4 in a row for about 10-15 minutes. Too tired to count.
skull crusher things for le triceps.

Also started doing behind the neck push presses after reading an article from Greg Everett about BTN lifts daily improving posture in the classic lifts. Did 135lb the last time for 10x3. Adding 5lb every time as I get the feel for this lift, though I need to tape up the knurling as my neck was bleeding near the end. :oldryan: Still doing snatch presses from a squarsh for 3x8, latest weight was 80lb.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

how many syrian refugee skulls did you crush
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »