Souls Games

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
neckred
Ancient One

Souls Games

Post by neckred »

who else besides stormy and I enjoys these?

Though I do own Dark Souls and have checked it out, I've actually only really played Demon's.  Just beat Old King Allant, I'm at soul level 81.  None of my stats are very high individually, I have more even boosted stats.  As-in Magic at 32, Strength at 22, Dex at 31.  not a bad thing, as the game still retains difficulty, but it's not impossible.  I've only done a little bit of soul farming at 4-3, currently use Quality Uchigatana +4 and find myself slicing through fuckers and making them bleed!  Because of my enjoyment of difficult games, I think I'm doing pretty well for my first playthrough.
ImageImageImageImage
Abzu
Postwhore

Re: Souls Games

Post by Abzu »

This is a series I intend to explore.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I've got Dark Souls on console. The main issue I have with it is the inability to find decent weapons and armour during the start of the game. Would it be wise to just farm for xp to become stronger in the categories that would help fight some of them tough battles instead of relying on fancy armour and what not?
Humor ist nichts nichts Normales, also niemand der normal ist, braucht Humor...Humor braucht man nur, um von sowas tief in einem drin abzulenken, so dieses Gefühl von Unausgeglichenheit, diese nagende, kratzende Leere, die man so in sich spürt.
scunt.
Metal God

Post by scunt. »

been meaning to hit these games up for the longest time. i haven't touched my ps3 in like three months :homework:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jorsh">
Omg Ali is so hot I want to fuck both nostrils, earholes, even his armpits and elbows. Basically I want to fuck him everywhere except his ass and mouth.

To jizzfinity and beyond
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura">
also when you exit an unsuccessful interview you should just leave them with: 'if you can't slam with the best, you'll just have to jam with the rest'
</blockquote>
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

soul level in demon's doesn't make that much of a difference i found, although i didn't focus much on casting where it can have a stronger impact (e.g., attunement slots). it's not very make or break, stats generally don't have a huge influence in that game. just don't upgrade luck as that doesn't really give worthwhile returns. don't think i messed much with the uchigatana, but i had very good results with the upgraded crescent falchion. meat cleaver is good fun too, if you've cleared adjudicator. it's pretty slow compared to the 1h weapons, but it staggers pretty much everything in a single hit, it's pretty OP if you can get the hang of it from what i remember.

[quote="Dr. Gonzo"]
I've got Dark Souls on console. The main issue I have with it is the inability to find decent weapons and armour during the start of the game. Would it be wise to just farm for xp to become stronger in the categories that would help fight some of them tough battles instead of relying on fancy armour and what not?
[/quote]

boosting str/dex if you're playing melee/physical is useful early on, just to increase the variety of weapons you can equip and experiment with. soul level won't really do much for survivability, you just need to get good at blocking/dodging/parrying for that. if you have any cheap long/shortbow and a few dozen arrows, you can get a drake sword early on which is very strong in the early game. it'll tide you over until later when you can equip something stronger with good scaling, like the black knight weapons.

whatever you do, don't ever put anything into resistance in DS. it's completely, 100% worthless.

i never worried much about fancy armor, i just kept my endurance high enough to wear a full set of light armor + weapon + 100% block shield on. i didn't like heavy armor builds in that, if your equip burden goes over 50% it makes your rolls suck, and that makes the game way harder.
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

I'm on the NG+  Didn't do all the side missions in the first, but I did a ton of them.  Black Phantom Scirvir was harder than any boss, until I found a way to kill him with the theif ring and poison cloud.  It was worth it to get the Talisman of Beasts.

I suppose the hardest regular bosses for me were Maneaters and Old King Allant.  The 4's had ridiculously easy bosses, but maybe the hardest levels.  Especially since I've just completed them on NG+.

yea Soul Level doesn't mean much, but it lets me know how many points I've used.  Especially since I started at 1 with the Royal class.  Soul Level 113 currently.

my current main weapon is the Crescent Uchigatana+5, it's been fun killing my fair share of invaders with it.  Especially since I don't wear any heavy armor, they probably expect me to be easy.

I was going to start playing Dark Souls after my completion, but I couldn't stop now that I have so far to go!

A fellating lover of mine just bought the game recently, he's on his first NG.  somehow he can't set Sage Freke free, hahaha I have no idea how.  I remember just setting him free during the course of the level, without doing anything more special than finding the key.  But he's completed that level, has all the keys and can't set him free.  He has bad luck with games.

but yup, this is like my dream RPG.  I think the only thing I've dug this much is KOTOR, but I much prefer the live action fighting in Souls.

Hey stormy, should I check out the Tales series on ps3?
ImageImageImageImage
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i'm guessing he probably just missed the key for freke, it's in the room above fool's idol. you don't need to do anything other than retrieve that to free him.

tales games are fun, but they're not for everyone. more often than not, i tend to find the story/character aspects to be severely lacking in tales, but that's balanced by the combat systems which are generally very good. for perspective, i think i put 80+ hours into graces and after things got going, i really began to detest the non-gameplay aspects (and they never really improved either). as long as you can stomach boring/cliche anime presentation, it's worth a try.

xillia seems better story-wise from what i've played of that thus far, and it's a much better looking game (graces is an HD port of a game that was made for the wii), but there are a fair few characters that are utterly grating.

shame you didn't ask earlier though, graces was on sale on PSN over the weekend for $10 -- not my favorite game in the world, but certainly worth checking out at that price.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

ALSO. interesting you mention tales in a souls thread, because there's a weird link between the two.

motoi sakuraba has been the main composer for tales more or less since its inception. he tends to do a lot of lively prog-rock styled tunes and light instrumental themes. he reminds me a lot of devin townsend; the sheer volume of his output is staggering, but his style between games tends to lack in variety -- after you've heard a few of his soundtracks, they all tend to blur together.

i was shocked to learn he actually did the entire dark souls OST -- which only has one or two tracks that have his usual flourishes, and even then you probably wouldn't notice unless you knew he was responsible. i know i didn't at least, and i can usually pick his stuff out instantly.

DS is worth playing for the music alone, IMO:

neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

the music is pretty awesome in Demon's too, though used very sparingly.

so I just figured out the Stockpile Thomas item dupe exploit :redneck:

I actually plan to get into the Tales series pretty soon, but right now I'm digging the hell out of Souls and I have Nier on the way!  from what I've heard, I'll probably play that one on hard mode.

the most annoying thing I'm trying to find in Demon's is Pure Darkmoonstone.  I know where to get it and all, but haven't had any luck yet.  It's all I need to upgrade my Crescent Uchigatana to +5.  That sword is very awesome for a high magic character.  I love raiding people, it's especially funny since I'm a chick with the Binded cross dress and three-cornered hat.  I like to toy with them, pretend like I don't know what I'm doing.  they probably expect me to be weak because of lack of heavy armor.  Then I'm all "firestorm" they're on the ground and I stab them to make them die :idea:.  It's so funny when they run away from you.  One hard-on bearer ran away and fell off a cliff in 4-2.
ImageImageImageImage
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah, some of the pures in demon's are a bitch to get. they're not all guaranteed per playthrough like the upgrade items in dark, so if you're attached to a particular upgrade tree or trying to max trophies, it can get pretty frustrating.
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

started messing with Dark Souls a few days ago, killed 4 bosses so far.  Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, Capra Demon, and Gaping Dragon.  Gaping Dragon and Asylum Demon were easiest.  Killed the asylum one the first time you see it with the black firebombs, Gaping Dragon was just pretty easy to figure out.  When he dropped his head down, he was going to charge.  Just moved to the side and literally attacked his ass when he went by me.

Actually digging the Uchigatana even more in this, because it's attacks are closer to real katana combat.  I've got it to +7 so far.
ImageImageImageImage
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

that is a pretty short path to capra demon, most people don't tackle that one until a fair bit later on. if you're feeling saucy, go down the depths route to make your way through the front entrance of blighttown :fonz:
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

with a non-upgraded long sword I fucked the Capra Demon!  no wonder this one seems harder to me than Demon's.  but believe it or not I killed Capra in my 2nd try.  first time I died right when that fucker jumps right at you and the dogs got behind me.  Actually did start to head toward Blighttown when I quit last time :idea:

I think it's hilarious and awesome that in order to be really good at Souls, one must abide their game rules and mechanics.  However, they do not enlighten one about these mechanics and rules.  One must discover it on their own, it really respects the intelligence of the player.
ImageImageImageImage
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

not done with Dark Souls at all, but I ordered Dark Souls II the other day!

It's fun to be a forest invader and disguise myself as a lonely tree, only to emerge as my victims pass me by unknowningly!
ImageImageImageImage
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah, the forest covenant is worth leveling even if you dont care for PVP. there's a really useful ring and i believe that's the only way to get it, i think it's the stealth one.
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

oh I traded a Skull Lantern to the crow for that one, but it's fun to be able to invade without needing to use an item.  plus it gave me the ability to buy a washing pole from Shiva at Blighttown.
ImageImageImageImage
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

Hey stormy, how's Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Folklore, and Resonance of Fate?
ImageImageImageImage
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

haven't played a single one of them but valkyria is very highly regarded. it had a couple of sequels that will never be released in the US
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

sheets, guess I'll have to give some a try and report my findings!

Valkyria and 3D Dot have most of my interest, the latter being a lovingly silly parody of classic Zelda from NES and SNES with intentionally bad dialog.

it's not an easy decision sir
ImageImageImageImage
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

Dark Souls II is a lot better than I expected, but unlike Dark Souls and Demons's some of the bosses are absolutely pointless, beyond just getting more souls.

Great atmosphere and locations though.  At first I thought the movement was wonky, but I've got used to it and dig the extended variation in movement speeds.

I actually dig a lot how they handled humanity in this one.

It was pretty funny how I killed the first 5 people I invaded, the first hard-on bearer ran.  It was extra funny because at that point I felt I sucked at the game, I quickly changed my opinion.  Haha it wouldn't be a Souls game if they didn't change just enough stuff (leveling, weapon upgrades, etc.)  to make you go :huh: for a while before you figure everything out.

Valkyria Chronicles is pretty awesome, supremely challenging after a few battles.  Almost to the level of a Souls game, only they tell you absolutely everything about everything.  But for the type of game it is, if they didn't do that I'm afraid most people would be pretty lost.
ImageImageImageImage
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i would revise 'some' to 'most' because there are maybe 4-5 in the whole game that require more strategy than 'circle the boss and swing from behind'.

i've heard the DLC expansions are very good though, but i don't generally buy DLC so unless it goes on a fire sale at some point i'll probably skip that stuff.
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

For me it's mostly just blocking when I can, rolling, running, casting magic. 

But what I mean by pointless is many of them there's not much of a useful reason to kill them.  Such as Executioner's Chariot.

Only a few are needed to gain access to new areas.  Areas like Belfry Sol have little point beyond invasions.

It's a cool game, just everything doesn't seem to have it's place like Dark Souls and Demons.
ImageImageImageImage
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

Recently got heavily into Dark Souls pvp, it's pretty addicting to try to get better and better at it.
ImageImageImageImage
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i never particularly enjoyed PVP. i came into the game late enough where i just got steamrolled at every invasion and i didn't care to spend the time researching PVP builds and then have to potentially reroll just to have a chance at my character being viable. plus the sheer number of times i had someone roll facefirst into my shield and then somehow land a fatal backstab was enough to turn me off of it.

i pretty much didn't play in anor londo unless i was in offline mode or hollowed because progression was honest to god impossible otherwise.
djonni greazo
Ancient One

Post by djonni greazo »

[quote="Hitoshura"]
i would revise 'some' to 'most' because there are maybe 4-5 in the whole game that require more strategy than 'circle the boss and swing from behind'.

i've heard the DLC expansions are very good though, but i don't generally buy DLC so unless it goes on a fire sale at some point i'll probably skip that stuff.
[/quote]

the DLCs are probably the best levels in the Souls series ever (particularly DLCs 1 and 3, didn't care all that much about 2, but 2 has by far the best "big humanoid with big weapon" type of bosses). i didn't like the base game much (very few fun bosses, although unlike the previous 2 Souls games it also has almost no super shitty boss, very very few notable locations that aren't just pretty, shitty world design, shittier art direction, blander NPCs, the list goes on...), but it's more than worth it just for the DLCs and PvPing (easily the most balanced Souls game to date... even though it's not even remotely "balanced" :P)

anyway, From are pretty much dead to me after all these shenanigans with the "Director's Cut" edition barely a year after it originally came out and backpedalling on many other decisions
:xx: Image :xx:
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

There is a slight lag on the server, even if it doesn't seem that way.  Tis why people get all those backstabs. 

I've learned to work with it, though.  I have a backstab punisher build, where I play unlocked and swing a Dragon Greatsword or Demon Great Machete around me and slap a sword in their face when they try to backstab.  I still die, but I win about 8 out of 10 battles :idea:

I tend to go to places where people duel but don't heal.  Such as all the way back at Undead Burg, but at a much higher level.  Plenty of jerks who gang up on invaders and spawn camp, though.  But you really just have to sort of take it, no other choice.  If you're lucky, you can run away and use black separation crystal.  I tend to block those jackasses on PSN and never see them again.  I've killed a few of them too, which is always amusing.
ImageImageImageImage
Eric
Mature Neophyte

Post by Eric »

Got Dark Souls for Christmas. I'll play it once I beat RE: Revelations.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i wouldn't lay too much of the DLC/GOTY stuff on from, i'd bet good money that's largely coming from the publishing side. scummy behavior has become the norm across the board since the industry has become so consolidated over the last 10 years, and there are very few developers that have the clout or power to push back against it.
Sunbather
Neophyte

Post by Sunbather »

I have horror stories concerning DS1 and 2.

Haven't played Demons, however.

DS1 and 2 messed me up good. Really looking forward to Bloodborne in March. Just about the only PS4 game I care about right now.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

aye i am in on that shit day one

if you've never played demon's it's worth your time, right up there with DS1 in terms of quality.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

clocked about two hours on bloodborne so far and i fucking love it. much more compelling than my early experience with DS2.
rocknrolla
God of Emptiness

Post by rocknrolla »

I got Dark Souls 3 paid for. Bring it on
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

steam version unlocked early so i've thrown a fair few hours in tonight, holy jesus this game is off to a glorious start

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=663985064

~5 hours in, one observation is that bonfires seem to be more scarce compared to DS2, which is a major improvement. encounter design seems a lot better thought-out in comparison as well. at least from initial impressions it eclipses DS2 in pretty much every capacity, though that was the low point of the series so i guess the real question will be how it stacks up against DS/DeS.
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Got through Dark Souls 2 and now on my second run. Easily best game I've played since 1990s . The rage and torment versus the feeling of success when you finally beat a boss, it's wonderful.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

have you played any of the others? it's certainly not a bad game, but DS2 is the weakest of the series by a significant margin. if you have a PS3 i'd highly recommend giving demon's souls a go, i still think it has the tightest level design of any game in the series. if you're strictly PC, you should get the original, but you'll need durante's DSFix mod/patch to make it worth your time. or just get DS3 if you have a relatively new GPU and can't be bothered with that
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i am just getting into the dark souls series as well. i'm starting with ds2 because a fellating lover bought it for me but i want to go back and play demon souls, ds1, and ds3.

this game is fruital.. i managed to get Dragonrider to charge off the platform and felt bad ass but after that i realized i should probably start in Forest of Fallen Giants to get a feel for the game.

playing a knight right now and using the Heide Knight Sword, seems good so far
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i can't remember what weapons i used in DS2 or what was good :huh: that probably all changed though because i'm pretty sure they made a lot of balance changes when they released scholar of the first sin

i'm not sure if they ever fixed/changed how durability works in that game, but in the original release it was much, much lower compared to every other entry in the series. to the point where having multiple reinforced weapons or repair powders were necessary on a lot of runs. which i found to be very annoying
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Heide Knight Sword is viable weapon through the whole game imo. I used it 90% of my first run and still do (along with other weapons), +10 upgraded of course. I am not playing Scholars though. Which is weird because Alana was my last boss but I do NOT have the DLC.

I am aware people think DS2 is the weakest of the series, but I'm on PS3 and can't be bothered to buy more games, I'm happy with this.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i switched to the bastard sword last night, it does a lot of damage but it's slow.
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

fair enough. if you change your mind and decide to branch out, demon's souls is 100% worth your time if you can find a cheap copy. at least here it maxes out at $20, no clue what the price of games is like in your neck of the woods though.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

did some co-op last night for the first time with some dude from brazil. decided to touch a summon sign for the hell of it to see what would happen. we ended up killing belfry gargoyles and lost sinner. how the fuck would you do that gargoyle boss alone :oldryan:

i also got invaded by another player in belfry luna, that was a first. dude came out of nowhere but i somehow managed to kill him. dumbass fell through a hole in the floor and then i caught him when he was trying to turn around. :bang:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

hmm i honestly can't remember if it changed much in DS2, but it's a pretty easy solo in the original dark souls. you just need to blitz down the first gargoyle ASAP, unless you get really unlucky it's possible to have it mostly dead before the second one comes down.
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Okay nevermind earlier, got PS4 and DS3 as early christmas present from my lady. 3 hours in and gotta say this is pretty damn much better than DS2. Vordt was so much fun to beat, did my best rolls ever in that fight. Only minus is that the lock on doesn't work as effectively as in DS2.

I missed the Gargoyles on my first run and came back later with killer gear, it was pretty easy. On NG I tried it at the proper time and got fucked. It is pretty nasty.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah, the bosses in the other games are so much better it's wild. i could've forgiven a lot of the aggravating design choices of DS2 if there were a worthwhile payoff, but 90% of the bosses could be beaten by circle strafe > swing > repeat > win.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote="Hitoshura"]
yeah, the bosses in the other games are so much better it's wild. i could've forgiven a lot of the aggravating design choices of DS2 if there were a worthwhile payoff, but 90% of the bosses could be beaten by circle strafe > swing > repeat > win.
[/quote]

i'm definitely seeing this pattern but i am loving the game so far. can't wait to play the others.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

motherfuck the ancient dragon, i keep getting one shotted  :wall:  :waa: 
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Use the toe method, should work.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote="diabolik"]
Use the toe method, should work.
[/quote]

i have been but sometimes when he lifts off to do the fire aoe i lose track of him and don't get out of the way in time :oldryan:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

ancient dragon + whatever was in throne of want were the only things i never finished in DS2, i have nothing helpful to offer here :redneck:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i decided to do the dlc before going to the throne as it's supposed to make the final boss easier. the first dlc area is fucking harder than most of the base game