MORBID ANGEL's Setlist For U.S. Tour Will Not Include Any DAVID VINCENT-Era Material, Says STEVE TUCKER

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

MORBID ANGEL's Setlist For U.S. Tour Will Not Include Any DAVID VINCENT-Era Material, Says STEVE TUCKER

Post by Mesarthim »

The setlist for MORBID ANGEL's upcoming tour will not include any material from the David Vincent era of the band, it has been revealed. Speaking to lummo's cowtown Weekly, MORBID ANGEL's current frontman, Steve Tucker, who is back for his third spell with the group, was asked if the trek — which kicks off on May 23 in lummo's cowtown, Florida — will see the band performing any songs from its recently completed new studio album. "Probably one or two new songs; the album's almost done, but we don't want to put out too much with YouTube putting it up the next day," Tucker explained. "The setlist will be different, too — in the past, we've covered all of MORBID ANGEL's discography, but this time we went with the discography between Trey [Azagthoth, guitar] and I. I'm really excited about the fact that every song we play is a song I was a part of. There are some MORBID ANGEL classics that aren't there, but we made our own classics."

MORBID ANGEL's new disc was recorded at Mana Recording in St. Petersburg, Florida with producer — and former MORBID ANGEL guitarist — Erik Rutan. Tentatively due in the fall via UDR Music, the LP will mark the band's first release with drummer Scott Fuller (ANNIHILATED, ex-ABYSMAL DAWN) who joined MORBID ANGEL last year following the departure of Tim Yeung. It will also be MORBID ANGEL's first album to feature Tucker since 2003's "Heretic".

Tucker told "The Metal Magdalene With Jet" show about MORBID ANGEL's approach on the upcoming album: "It was really just about writing music — it was just about writing a MORBID ANGEL album. Nobody said, 'Hey, we wanna go in this direction,' nobody said anything. I mean, there's obvious things there. I've said it before — I'm a death metal hard-on bearer, so, for me, it's gonna be a death metal album; if I'm on it, it's death metal. So it was just about making a MORBID ANGEL album. It was really about coming in with something new, something fresh, but yet it still being MORBID ANGEL. Really, honestly, we didn't approach this any differently than any of the other albums I was involved in except for maybe [1998's] 'Formulas Fatal To The Flesh', which 'Formulas', Trey wrote all the music, all the lyrics and things like that. But this was done more similar to maybe [2000's] 'Gateways To Annihilation', where everybody had their contribution. Trey wrote a bunch of songs, I wrote songs, Scotty contributed some ideas. There was a lot of back-and-forth. In the end, it has to become a MORBID ANGEL song. And at this point, I feel that it's very much a MORBID ANGEL album."

MORBID ANGEL in January announced the addition of Dan Vadim Von (guitarist/frontman of the American death metal band VADIMVON) to the band's lineup on second guitar. He joined the group as the replacement for Norwegian guitarist Destructhor (a.k.a. Thor Anders Myhren), who left the band a year and a half ago.

MORBID ANGEL's first U.S. tour of 2017 will feature support from SUFFOCATION, REVOCATION and WITHERED.

The tour will commence in lummo's cowtown at the Beachum and continue around the country until June 27, in New Orleans at the House Of Blues.

Former MORBID ANGEL frontman David Vincent recently joined forces with several other musicians — including Yeung (drums) — to perform classic MORBID ANGEL songs under the I AM MORBID banner.

MORBID ANGEL's controversial 2011 album, "Illud Divinum Insanus", marked the group's first CD to feature Vincent since "Domination".
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Re: MORBID ANGEL's Setlist For U.S. Tour Will Not Include Any DAVID VINCENT-Era Material, Says STEVE TUCKER

Post by Mesarthim »

GOOD. :bang:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Grudge
Metal God

Re: MORBID ANGEL's Setlist For U.S. Tour Will Not Include Any DAVID VINCENT-Era Material, Says STEVE TUCKER

Post by Grudge »

This is good because I was burnt out on Vincent era live tracks long ago. Morbid Angel will sound fresh.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

F/G/H only?! holy shit, i need to go to this
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

My prayers, answered!
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

Hitoshura wrote:F/G/H only?! holy shit, i need to go to this
Plus a couple new songs!
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

holy shit, that is a truly bold choice

i celebrate this news :bang:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

The amount of butthurt from the dogmatic vincent-era loyalists in the comments section makes me chuckle. Fuck em.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

well they've been playing the same set list for like 10 years, anyone complaining can get fucked
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

it's true

also it's not like he said "we are not ever playing anything from A-D ever again, and also fuck those four albums, and fuck you if you like them and finally fuck your mother's pizza-shaped cunt for birthing you"

though maybe he did, i didn't read any of the first post except the subject line. it would be interesting if he said all those things
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

when I first read this article yesterday a lot of the comments were actually positive - as people are tired of hearing the same greatest hits from A-D and in general seemed to like the idea. I guess once the news got around the haters and trolls decided to come out of the woodwork.
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i would rejoice if there was any likelihood of me seeing them soon
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

zim wrote:well they've been playing the same set list for like 10 years, anyone complaining can get fucked
13 years. :oldryan::: 13 year of nostalgia touring is enough, time to move the fuck on and either dissolve the band or try something different.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

couldnt care less about this since they aint coming anywhere near me. give me the new fucking album
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

jorsh wrote:couldnt care less about this since they aint coming anywhere near me. give me the new fucking album
not ideal but they are playing 3.5 hours away from Fargo in Minneapolis.
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

i know this but that 3.5 turns to 7 hours round trip and my concert buddy wont go see ma, so....
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

Gdansk concert is more interesting now. F-H live is something I want to see
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

It would be nice if they would cover at least a few "I am Morbid" tracks, but a large dose of F-H is long overdue. I'll definitely buy a ticket to see them, and almost certainly go. They're playing in kind of a strange venue that might require public transportation for me to be able to drink at the show.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

I got super excited because I saw a date for Nashville but it's only suffocation and not ma, what the fuck

I even hit up my fellating lover and offered to pay for the entire trip MEH
:paw: :tear:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

actually, might get to see them in cleveland on june 1st. waiting on confirmation from my buddy but we'll see

Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

:gay:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

That's a good move, it's almost like a jibe at Vincent for starting I am Morbid.

But this means nothing to me currently because i'm across the atlantic.
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Nonetheless I'm really looking forward to the new album. Even if it is standard MA relatively speaking it will still sound fresh after these stupid long gaps between albums and the nonsense that was "I"
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Phantoon wrote: Even if it is standard MA relatively speaking it will still sound fresh
With the amount of talented metal bands out there I'm not so sure it would sound fresh. Hopefully it stands out among the vast amount of material out there these days. I'd hate to see a Gateways Volume 2 happen.
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

True, i guess fresh wasn't the word I was after, maybe stately is a better adjective. The vibe I'm getting is they're going to put out a cross between Formulas and Gateways. It would certainly be better than an album full of mediocre Existo Vulgore level songs with Tucker on vocals.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Phantoon wrote:True, i guess fresh wasn't the word I was after, maybe stately is a better adjective. The vibe I'm getting is they're going to put out a cross between Formulas and Gateways. It would certainly be better than an album full of mediocre Existo Vulgore level songs with Tucker on vocals.
agreed.
This might be the last album, would be nice for Trey to go out with a classic MA spirit/sound than with album "I" which was anything but that.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Phantoon wrote:True, i guess fresh wasn't the word I was after, maybe stately is a better adjective. The vibe I'm getting is they're going to put out a cross between Formulas and Gateways. It would certainly be better than an album full of mediocre Existo Vulgore level songs with Tucker on vocals.
I actually think the album will be a mix between Gateways and Heretic. I thought a good amount of riffs on I sounded Heretic'ish.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

tucker is another variable
more metal
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

zim wrote:
I actually think the album will be a mix between Gateways and Heretic. I thought a good amount of riffs on I sounded Heretic'ish.
Yeah "I" had many heretic'ish parts but i think Tucker being back and a sort of 'lets go back to what we do best' vibe within the band might have made them want to recapture the fury on Formulas (F itself was Trey's reaction to the staleness of Domination) and Gateways being that center of the 3 Tucker albums that joins them together musically.