Pedals!

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
vO)))id
Metal God

Pedals!

Post by vO)))id »

Collecting old or weird guitar pedals.
I like to use them on recording and mixing sessions. We call them poor man's outboard gear.

Anyone got any cool stuff laying around that they might wanna sell?

:santa:
Lavabug
Metal God

Re: Pedals!

Post by Lavabug »

After selling off my multiFX, I've been amassing a few, mostly cheap import stuff. They aren't for sale. :p

Portable pedalboard made from a carpet tile and the zipper-bag that some bedsheets came in :redneck:::

My prized possession is the S&K VHD, it's the preamp section of the Ampeg Vh140C amp (suffo, gorguts, assuck and many bands that recorded in Morrisound used it) in a pedal format. I've never had this much gain and low-end on tap, truly fruital.

Also have a TC flashback mini delay and an EHX Holy Stain that has an interesting pitch shift, tremolo and amazing reverbs(mostly what I use it for). Also has an analog big muff circuit built in that you can turn on/off, full gain only though, sounds pretty weird and psychedelic with the pitch shift turned on.

Then a bunch of those $20 chinese pedals/mini-pedals: a monoprice tuner, a Kokko FOD3 (tiny tubescreamer clone), and recently bought an ammoon looper and a tom'sline modulation pedal. The kokko is a nice low gain pedal that I use for practicing chops with lower gain.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:interessant:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Are those cheap kokko pedals any good?
For that price I'd get a bunch of them.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

yeah, sturdy, true bypass. The delay is maybe not so good from what I've heard, but all their other analog effects like phasers, dirts, boosters, chorus, etc. are most likely copies of well-known circuits.

I was gonna build a clone myself, but I came across this RAT clone... and now I'm tempted:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Cool!! Ok I'm off to ebay today and getting me some of these. Do they work with Euro adapters too? (220 volts/60 hz)

Watching these on ebay now:
Black Rat
Kokko overdrive
Vibe
Phaser
Vibrato

I'm a sucker for delays and fuzz. Any tips for those?
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

9v dc = 9v dc everywhere. They work with any 9v boss-type pedal DC adapter that you already have.

the vibe and vibrato... aren't they kinda the same? the kokko phaser looked cool, but I couldn't make up my mind what mod effect I wanted so I got this one that has all of them :redneck: Though it's digital and not analog like the rest, I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it if you wanna hold off on it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mod-Station-Cl ... SwRkRZ0Is-

For delay, I like my TC flashback mini, it has a usb port and you can modify virtually every parameter in the delay through it (and through the phone app, it makes your phone speaker produce a signal that you put next your pickup and it changes the parameters that way!). Can do 100% pristine delays like a BOSS or do analog filtering, chorusing and flanging too. And you can strum to do tap tempo.

But if you want a cheap chinese delay, there are a million different ones. I think they're all analog-modeling only (the trails lose treble like vintage delays), except for this one which has a selector:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Cool thanks. Yeah the vibrato is off. The vibe is a rotary speaker sim, like a lesley.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I'm also a big fan of the Earthquaker pedals.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I was building a clone of the Acapulco Gold circuit (Sunn Model T type fuzz) that I messed up on, been meaning to finish it. It sounds really good on youtube demos and it's dead simple.

But man I want that rat clone now.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I love the model T. Would love to own it one day.