Vocal delivery on K.

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Lavabug
Metal God

Vocal delivery on K.

Post by Lavabug »

Fuck.

This may be the best vocal performance on any MA album. Anyone else agree? Steve Fucker is straight vicious.
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: Vocal delivery on K.

Post by vO)))id »

I agree. It's amazing. But unfortunately the only thing about the album I really like.

I was very much impressed by his vocals on Warfather so I had good hopes for this one.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I have not given this enough full depth listens yet, waiting for the CD to show up.

I hear some experimentation on the musicianship, there are drum, bass, vocal and guitar stylings I have never heard before in a Morbid Angel song.

My impression so far is immensely positive. Time will be the judge of how memorable this is.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Steve Tucker sucks. New album sucks. Morbid angel sucks. Worst production of all time. Boring. So dumb. I hate everything.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

jorsh wrote:Steve Tucker sucks. New album sucks. Morbid angel sucks. Worst production of all time. Boring. So dumb. I hate everything.
No you really like the album. :idea:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

i dont believe you
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Lavabug wrote:I have not given this enough full depth listens yet, waiting for the CD to show up.

I hear some experimentation on the musicianship, there are drum, bass, vocal and guitar stylings I have never heard before in a Morbid Angel song.

My impression so far is immensely positive. Time will be the judge of how memorable this is.
Exciting moments :greenie:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i am still in the "what the fuck i don't know what to believe what i think" space

have listened three times

obviously it is better than I, obviously it is a reprieve, i am relieved, it is good
BUT
nothing is grabbing me from it. a few passages. i have put it on a few times in bed and woken up in the morning going "what.... did i listen to the whole thing?"
more metal
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

User wrote: nothing is grabbing me from it. a few passages.
Same here. The loudness of the drums tire me out and it's just too difficult to listen to the whole thing so I get bored with it. :tear:
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

iamgoat wrote:
User wrote: nothing is grabbing me from it. a few passages.
Same here. The loudness of the drums tire me out and it's just too difficult to listen to the whole thing so I get bored with it. :tear:
This. It will not be album of the year for me :tear:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

:tear:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Methinks a lot of you had some pie in the sky expectations for K and are unconsciously looking for faults. I hear nothing obviously wrong with it. It's not F, nothing ever will be.

In the top 3 aoty for I.
Clint Eastwood
Mature Neophyte

Post by Clint Eastwood »

Overall I really like the album! It definitely wipes the floor with Domination and Heretic, but it's not a classic like "Formulas" or "Altars" (my two favs).
Apart from "Radiku....sorry, Declaring New Law" I totally dig it from start to finish.
And Tucker sure as hell is vicious on this one.
Welcome back MORBID ANGEL!
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Tucker :bang:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Tucker definately stepped up to the plate here. I liked his last warfather a lot and hoped this would be an indication of his direction for KD.
And though i hear a Destructos vibe in Declaring New Law his vocals are awesome there.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

yeah, got the cd in the stereo now for a real listen. Fuark. Production is great with my eq off. Guitars are juicy.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Uni777 wrote:Tucker definately stepped up to the plate here. I liked his last warfather a lot and hoped this would be an indication of his direction for KD.
And though i hear a Destructos vibe in Declaring New Law his vocals are awesome there.
:redneck: I caught that, too. I think it was an intentional nod, considering the album's theme.
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

I don't hear any "lisping"--I do hear some intakes of breaths before he sings, though. I think his voice perfectly matches the anger of the music.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Shredlord wrote:I don't hear any "lisping"--I do hear some intakes of breaths before he sings, though. I think his voice perfectly matches the anger of the music.
It's pretty clear in a number of the songs. He isn't lisping himself. It's a hissy sort of high end noise that cuts in his vocals a bunch that sounds like a lisp.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Abzu wrote:
Shredlord wrote:I don't hear any "lisping"--I do hear some intakes of breaths before he sings, though. I think his voice perfectly matches the anger of the music.
It's pretty clear in a number of the songs. He isn't lisping himself. It's a hissy sort of high end noise that cuts in his vocals a bunch that sounds like a lisp.
Indeed. And I'm very happy they didn't edit out the inhales because it makes for a more aggressive sound. Like he's right infront of you
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Guys this isn't really about the inhales. Those could be tolerable and even cool in certain context. Although, the inhales are most likely interfering creating this lisp effect. I mentioned before, either funky de-esser or compression settings. Abzu pretty much said it. Tucker isn't obviously lisping himself, he doesn't have a lisp! But this lisping effect on this album is a by-product. So, I've isolated it for you. I mean it's clear, it isn't quite right. And I'm really shocked how this got by. Everything else is an aesthetic choice but this issue? I don't know man, it's an oddball thing to let slide.

Also to be clear, I think the performance and phrasings and delivery is one of Tucker's best. No question mark against that!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n0nlzo522vnt ... t.wav?dl=0

Transcript with technical error:

They've come to bring uth gifths
They've come to make uth whole
They've come to give uth god
Their gifth of heaven
They've come to make uth thivil
Their gifths as rathom
Their god comths with a coth
We muth give up all
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

They've come to bring us lifts
They've come to make us SWOLE
:squarsh: :squarsh: :squarsh:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

No question, it's one of his best performances.