Trey commented on Illud recently

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Paste Human
Metal God

Trey commented on Illud recently

Post by Paste Human »

"It just shows how David and I are in different worlds these days," he said. "He is, for sure, an artist and great in his own way, but was becoming so very different than what I was into. It was a confused effort and that is why I changed the lineup."

"I already knew the result was gonna be off during rehearsals and recording," he added. "Some of it turned out cool, but David made his vocals too loud — like usual — and the rhythm guitars got subdued in the mix. Then David flew to L.A. to finish some vocals with the engineer that mixed the record. And it seems he influenced how the mix was gonna turn out. Before I heard the final mixes for the record I thought it was gonna sound a lot more heavy. But nothing could save a silly song like 'Radikult', which I just tried to ignore. I had nothing to do with that thing."

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/tre ... ecent-past

----------------------------

I don't recall ever seeing any interviews with him leading up to Illud or immediately following it, and this is definitely the only coherent thoughts on that album that I've ever read from him :santa:
GMDN

Re: Trey commented on Illud recently

Post by GMDN »

Trey is talking out of his ass and trying to blame it on david, he is the one who APPROVED of the songs and wrote many of the shitty songs on that album.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

The overwhelming presence of David's lyrics and persona definitely made parts of it impossible to enjoy, and exact details of the collaborative dynamic between him and Trey will probably never come to light. Trey doesn't strike me as at all business savvy, so it wouldn't surprise me if he forfeited some creative control as a condition of keeping David on board.

I didn't care for Trey's experimental tracks, but in that case there was an underlying feeling of disappointment because I got the impression that he put a lot of effort into exploring new areas he could take his craft to, but never quite figured it out. Or it got to be too late in the game when he realized that his idea simply wasn't practical.

Either way the thought of someone as wildly creative as Trey attempting to merge some aspects of electronic music with his brand of death metal looks good on paper to me. Unfortunately it was a failure.
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

"How’s the new album coming along? Do you have a title yet and what can we expect it to sound like? Any new tricks up your sleeves? —Bryan Memes

Things are going really well with the material. We’re exploring many new things, pulling from a lot of new musical inspirations and such. There are new kinds of beats, arrangements and, of course, riffing. I think with every record there are always some new structures to be explored."
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

GMDN wrote:Trey is talking out of his ass and trying to blame it on david, he is the one who APPROVED of the songs and wrote many of the shitty songs on that album.
I have to agree with this.

Trey knew DAMN well the direction of Illud Anus. How do we know? Because if you recall, before the album was done and released, in 2009, 20010 he had made a preemptive post on MySpace at the time entitled "Is the Metal Community Closed Minded?"

Come on, who remembers this??

Basically created a psychological ploy to persuade the fan base to turn to this "new sound" by stating - WITHOUT APPARENT AGENDA since the album wasn't released yet - that metal heads should be more open. haha it was a clever preemptive strike against the coming backlash to that disaster album. He knew. He may have very well been convinced by certain parties, even himself internally, that they may no longer be a force in the death metal world, so let's at least cash in with a mediocre and mainstream approach. I could just envision the unfolding and sequence of events. I think ultimately Trey had underestimated himself; that he actually could still make killer Trey-ism Death metal. K album proved it.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Of course he knew. He was all into that dutch hardcore/hardstyle scene. It could actually have been a cool album if that part was done nicely. I've grown up with that stuff here in my country and there was a lot of really heavy, evil, noisy shit that was borderline deathmetal/grindcore in an electronic way. But the songs on Illud that want to touch that genre are done very poorly and sound weak as fuck.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

It's also an insult to Laibach to compare the electronic elemens on Illud to what they've done.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Taurean Mixing wrote:
GMDN wrote:Trey is talking out of his ass and trying to blame it on david, he is the one who APPROVED of the songs and wrote many of the shitty songs on that album.

Trey knew DAMN well the direction of Illud Anus. How do we know? Because if you recall, before the album was done and released, in 2009, 20010 he had made a preemptive post on MySpace at the time entitled "Is the Metal Community Closed Minded?"

Basically created a psychological ploy to persuade the fan base to turn to this "new sound" by stating - WITHOUT APPARENT AGENDA since the album wasn't released yet - that metal heads should be more open. haha it was a clever preemptive strike against the coming backlash to that disaster album. He knew. He may have very well been convinced by certain parties, even himself internally, that they may no longer be a force in the death metal world, so let's at least cash in with a mediocre and mainstream approach. I could just envision the unfolding and sequence of events. I think ultimately Trey had underestimated himself; that he actually could still make killer Trey-ism Death metal. K album proved it.
How would you critique Illud's mix?
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

IMO: Illud's mix is really generic and flat. It has a more open sound than Kingdoms but the drums lack depth and heaviness. It's also very triggered sounding. But you can hear every instrument so that's good. It doesn't sound like a Morbid angel record to me. Kingdoms does sound more like an MA record to me.

Drum wise I think Tim is amazing but Scotty really fits Morbid Angel's style better.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Ninny wrote:
Taurean Mixing wrote:

How would you critique Illud's mix?
I usually approach my critiques from two sides. One is from an aesthetic side and the other from a technical standpoint. Right off the bat, I can't say there is anything technically wrong with Illud's mix, I just can't. We already know the technical issues with K. Aesthetically, Illud's guitars are probably less Morbid Angelish compared to the other classic albums but in true level matched comparison, I can't say it's any worse than K since K is off technically, it is also by virtue the most far off in tone. I have a good level matched comparison session and I have to say that Illud mix is not so offensive to me where I can't listen to it. Just most of the music, vibe, and spirit of it is offensive :redneck: I will say though, the aesthetic choice regarding the drums mix, probably wouldn't have been my choice. Except in rock, I tend to like drums meld with the guitars in most metal, especially fast metal. On Illud, the drum replacing and the fact they were also mixed "on top" makes them sound rigid and fake. Might be a Vincent thing, since it reminds of drum dominated Blessed, since Vincent historically had a lot of input for the production and mix on that just as he did for Illud. It's funny, I think what happens with the old school cats mixing is they adopt modern techniques like drum replacement (which although I use, I'm not a fan of) and perhaps too exuberantly while retaining their approach to the other instruments. So overall, I can listen to Illud from a sound and mix standpoint versus K. I really can't listen to K for too long.

I know you asked about Illud, but I've been pleasantly surprised to see that, well at least in my opinion, compared to different modern mixes, I found Formulas to probably be Morbid's best sounding record. Although if you wanted a bit more weight in the drums, Domination is actually trailing closely and may be trumps it if that weight is important to you. Covenant too is super vibey and unique but never falls short because of technical issues - of course though right, it's friggin Rasmussen.

Well, I'll get to this comparison video sooner or later, just been caught up busy lately.
Eric
Mature Neophyte

Post by Eric »

I met Trey after a Summer Slaughter show in 2014 and he said some things that were in line with these comments.

He said the sound/mix was bad, especially the drums. He didn't say anything negative about the music, but probably didn't want to w/ Dave still in the band.

He was really cool, answering fans' questions and all. Talked about metal that influenced him in his younger years. He specifically mentioned 'Captor of Sin' by Slayer - he liked the 'swing' it had. Also mentioned a band called Confessor.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:interessant:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Confessor is awesome.