How do you feel when you listen to your own music?

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Chaos Axe
Neophyte

How do you feel when you listen to your own music?

Post by Chaos Axe »

When I make original songs it's just a flow from boredom and what I would want to listen to, and I usually hate it after listening for hours while making it.
zim
Zim(a)

Re: How do you feel when you listen to your own music?

Post by zim »

i think i asked this question before or something similar, it's an interesting question

i usually enjoy listening to the music i create, i just get infinitely frustrated at the writers block i experience. my soundcloud page is full of short riffs and pieces of songs that never get finished. i do like my own music though, if i didn't enjoy it, i wouldn't bother recording it. https://soundcloud.com/cts
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

i can hear the spaghetti
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

It really depends on where I'm at in the writing or production process. I've got a lot of ideas aa well but am not good at writing complete songs that I'm happy with. I know all the basics and songstructures, harmonies, melodies, rhythm sections and how to write all that and I can work very well with others on music. Especially if its theirs. I hear so many things in my head that could make a song become better than what it is. I'm just too perfectionistic about my own stuff and get bored with it quickly.

A tip is to play it for other people (or just one person) with them in the room with you. You'll become focused on the big picture and also hear things that could be better because you're less focused on all the details. Having someone else there with you during playback is like you listening to the song for the first time again. It puts you in a different mindset.

All the mixes I've ever done I first played for my girlfriend before sending it out to the artist. Because I'll be listening to it with a different approach and always find something that could be better. Or she will say this.

So try that, play it for someone you trust but you need to be in the room with them for this to work. So no internet sharing.

Also let your music rest for a while, a few weeks maybe and then come back to it. You really need to put hard work and time in it and the best thing is to just finish it. Even if it's not perfect or even any good in your opinion. What matters is that you finish it and then LET GO and MOVE ON. You need to get over the fact that you will always hear the mistakes or the things you're not happy with. Someone else won't even notice those. Keep the big picture in mind.

That way you will free yourself from writersblock. It's easier said than done but really, that works. And maybe when you finish the song, fucking delete the entire project from your harddrive so you can't redo anything. Just keep the final mix and be done with it. Move on.

Another thing I've noticed with myself and a lot of other musicians is when they write something, that part is what they use to begin with. Say it's riff A and you want to continue from that. While this idea, riff A, might actually be something you need to build up to. And so riff A becomes riff B or even C and you put that idea later in the timeline of your composition. Then you take elements of that idea and slowly build up to it.
If riff A has a lot of things happening it could very well be the chorus instead of a verse or intro or bridge. Try putting your original idea later in the song and it might open up more possibilities. Don't start with your biggest climax because then where are you gonna go to?

I've got this note in my studio that says:

RESULTS NOT REASONS

THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS WHAT COMES OUT OF THE SPEAKERS
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

mostly what happens is i think i have a decent idea, and i mess around with it and record it and record it a whole bunch

and then when i eventually get it into a shape i kind of like, i realize i have no idea what to do with it, so i leave it. and then i come back to it a couple days later and i realize it's riddled with glaring flaws and i hate it and i give up
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

sounds like life :shbp:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

horse dealies wrote:sounds like life :shbp:
Ich hab kein post :huh:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Anyway I wrote this fucking elaborate reply with my thoughts and tips on the subject. Hope it helps, Chaos Axe.

:santa:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

:ba:
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Elaborate replies :xx:
Arise212
Neophyte

Post by Arise212 »

Usually by the time it's done, I am sick of hearing it because I've been working on it so much. When I start to finally just relax and listen to it, I usually just end up thinking "Maybe I could have made this part better, or maybe I should have added this or taken that out, etc" But I usually am mostly happy with the end result
Ater Mors
Neophyte

Post by Ater Mors »

iamgoat wrote:It really depends on where I'm at in the writing or production process. I've got a lot of ideas aa well but am not good at writing complete songs that I'm happy with. I know all the basics and songstructures, harmonies, melodies, rhythm sections and how to write all that and I can work very well with others on music. Especially if its theirs. I hear so many things in my head that could make a song become better than what it is. I'm just too perfectionistic about my own stuff and get bored with it quickly.

A tip is to play it for other people (or just one person) with them in the room with you. You'll become focused on the big picture and also hear things that could be better because you're less focused on all the details. Having someone else there with you during playback is like you listening to the song for the first time again. It puts you in a different mindset.

All the mixes I've ever done I first played for my girlfriend before sending it out to the artist. Because I'll be listening to it with a different approach and always find something that could be better. Or she will say this.

So try that, play it for someone you trust but you need to be in the room with them for this to work. So no internet sharing.

Also let your music rest for a while, a few weeks maybe and then come back to it. You really need to put hard work and time in it and the best thing is to just finish it. Even if it's not perfect or even any good in your opinion. What matters is that you finish it and then LET GO and MOVE ON. You need to get over the fact that you will always hear the mistakes or the things you're not happy with. Someone else won't even notice those. Keep the big picture in mind.

That way you will free yourself from writersblock. It's easier said than done but really, that works. And maybe when you finish the song, fucking delete the entire project from your harddrive so you can't redo anything. Just keep the final mix and be done with it. Move on.

Another thing I've noticed with myself and a lot of other musicians is when they write something, that part is what they use to begin with. Say it's riff A and you want to continue from that. While this idea, riff A, might actually be something you need to build up to. And so riff A becomes riff B or even C and you put that idea later in the timeline of your composition. Then you take elements of that idea and slowly build up to it.
If riff A has a lot of things happening it could very well be the chorus instead of a verse or intro or bridge. Try putting your original idea later in the song and it might open up more possibilities. Don't start with your biggest climax because then where are you gonna go to?

RESULTS NOT REASONS

RESULTS NOT REASONS - This sentence has Erik Rutan in his studio i think . Also everything you write sounds clever. I would not write it better.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Ater Mors wrote:
iamgoat wrote:It really depends on where I'm at in the writing or production process. I've got a lot of ideas aa well but am not good at writing complete songs that I'm happy with. I know all the basics and songstructures, harmonies, melodies, rhythm sections and how to write all that and I can work very well with others on music. Especially if its theirs. I hear so many things in my head that could make a song become better than what it is. I'm just too perfectionistic about my own stuff and get bored with it quickly.

RESULTS NOT REASONS

RESULTS NOT REASONS - This sentence has Erik Rutan in his studio i think . Also everything you write sounds clever. I would not write it better.
Yeah his mastering engineer told him that once, I thought it was a great quote.
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

i feel great tbh