hey zim

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

hey zim

Post by Verbal »

or anyone else who knows about laptops.

i need some assistance please.

i need a new laptop. i want it to be a windows laptop. and i want it to be max 500 euro. and i want it from this: http://www.pcworld.ie/category/windows-laptops/396.0.0 site, because they are a nearby shop, and so i can get it quickly, and can call back to them easily if there is a problem. so i dont want to hear about how i should order one online, or build my own, or something

i would appreciate any recommendations please on what would be a good choice from their list in that category. id like a decent hard drive size. and i want it not to not be terribly slow. i also will be staying away from any touch screen ones, or ones that are sort of laptop/tablet combos

danke
Grudge
Metal God

Re: hey zim

Post by Grudge »

I bought a Dell XPS 13 two weeks ago from Amazon for $821 to be paid over 12 months in monthly installments at zero interest. This had strong reviews.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

I will attempt to answer this today
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

also is there a specific kind of work you need to do or basic things like web surfing and office stuff, etc
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Doctoring
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

I scanned through the laptops that were < 500, I like these two. I will look more a little later

http://www.pcworld.ie/Mobile/Product/de ... 23/396.0.0

this one has 1TB of storage but uses a mechanical hard drive which is slow and won't last as long in a laptop. since mechanical hard drives actually have moving parts, it's more likely to get knocked around and damaged. solid state drive don't really have that problem.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Mobile/Product/hp ... uctDetails

this one has a solid state drive which is light-years faster than a traditional hard drive but the trade off is space. this one only has 256gb but it's worth it imo, it's exactly what I have in my PC.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

Thanks. I'll have a look at them. I guess I'm looking for the same as everyone who's looking at laptops. Speed, storage space, battery life, not to be too noisy, have reasonable speakers, and to have a nice keyboard/mousepad.

I heard these SSD were supposedly better because of the "lack of moving parts". Is there really that much of a difference? Because I was hoping for closer to a TB or disk space.

I use the laptop for streaming and downloading videos. I'd like to keep a decent amount on the laptop harddrive. Although I guess this isn't critical. What I really want is decent speed. And battery life. I also need to be running things like Python, MATLAB, Mathematica. But on my current laptop, it takes a few minutes from the times I click on them until they finally start. Just opening an internet browser takes longer than it should.

I see on that site, the laptop prices seem to go from 200 up to 3000 euro. So I really don't know where the best amount to fork out is. I was hoping to go for about 400. But if something around 600 or maybe 700 was much better, then maybe I'd go for it.

Am I right that basically the speed comes down to 1. the processor, 2. the RAM, and 3. the harddrive? So basically the highest numbers I can afford for each of those three things. But with an SSD instead of a mecahnical one.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Verbal wrote:Am I right that basically the speed comes down to 1. the processor, 2. the RAM, and 3. the harddrive? So basically the highest numbers I can afford for each of those three things. But with an SSD instead of a mecahnical one.
yes :idea:

You definitely want a solid state drive, they will give you a huge speed boost all around, probably the most noticeable. I have them in all of my computers at home and work. They are also silent. Spending more will always get you a better machine.

If you want to post some of the laptops you're interested in I'd be happy to look at them.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

the difference between an SSD and a mechanical is night and day, it's without a doubt the biggest real-world performance boost you'll get for the money. with an SSD, the boot sequence takes seconds from a cold start.

i use a 256GB SSD for my primary/boot drive and then i use internal & external mechanical drives for storing anything that doesn't care about drive speed (backups, media files, most games, etc.)
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i love my laptop, dell inspiron 15 7000

so far so fucking good
more metal
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Don't lose it on a stupid boat
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

thanks, zim

stormy: so you have essentially just software stored on your computers hard drive. and anything like videos or music or whatever on an external hard drive?
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Hitoshura wrote:the difference between an SSD and a mechanical is night and day, it's without a doubt the biggest real-world performance boost you'll get for the money. with an SSD, the boot sequence takes seconds from a cold start.

i use a 256GB SSD for my primary/boot drive and then i use internal & external mechanical drives for storing anything that doesn't care about drive speed (backups, media files, most games, etc.)
i have a single 256GB SSD in my machine, i boot from it and have games installed. i can only have a few big games installed at a time though, gets annoying sometimes but meh

don't actually have any music / videos stored on my pc anymore, not since youtube and spotify became good
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i still have loads of weird/niche stuff that will never get licensed on streaming platforms so they will never supplant the good old mp3/aac/flac library :chetty:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

:judge:
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people