Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Re: Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Post by jawn galliano »

went on a short run this morning, 50s and 60s for the next week so maybe i'll finally get back into a routine
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i drank four litres of beer last night and now i feel like poop
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

poop is physical
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

At my new place, I built this in the back yard:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj3UHMUFGGL ... efreeworld

beyond happy :squarsh:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

the cinderblock outbuilding or the weight rack
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

went for a good solid run this morning. only the second since moving last month :shock: and only the second this year :eek:

it rained in the night and conditions were even soggier than usual. the park we live by runs along a creek in a floodplain, so the fog was dense and the humidity heavy. an absolute swamp :ickface:

i somehow managed about three miles at a touch over nine minutes per mile. i will accept this result :beer:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i went for a run in the afternoon yesterday, during the heat

it was going well but then i took a new trail and wound up back on a different road than i expected

and then i thought i was turning back onto the right road. but, no, it turns out that road has two different independent segments

so i spent the next 45 minutes thinking i was running (and walking) closer to home when i was actualy getting farther away :homework:

good exercise though
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

been gradually increasing my exercising for the last two weeks

no longer feel like puking after every lift due to total lack of fitness after a month off

knee also holding up without any major discomfort or pain :ba:
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I've taken a month long break. A lot of it has to do with a shoulder pain I've been experiencing. Don't know what it is, probably a sprain but it's been bothering me for a month. It hurts slightly when I move my arm over to the other side, and definitely hurts when I lift.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

went for a good three and a half-four mile run this morning

also i have some new ideas about more routes for local runs

:suss:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i put on 5kg in germany :oldryan:
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

three good beer shits
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i ran 5k this morning. not a race, just that distance

and at a nine-minute pace :gay:

getting my wind back, feeling good in this period
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

went for about a six-mile run this morning. it was probably a bit less than that but the great majority was in a park & i can't map it so who knows

anyway it was a good long run to do after being sick for a week, i am pleased :serenity:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

began a proper program yesterday, first high volume workout in which i didn't feel like death nor my knee felt aggravation

snatch 5x3 67.5kg
snatch push press 3x5 65kg
snatch pull 3x5 90kg
pause back squarsh 5x5 120kg
20-30 chinups and dips

beginning to feel healthy :ba:
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

I got back to the gym after a two year hiatus. First month behind, I am glad to be back. Fucking finally.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I been making me some personal bests in different exercises, mainly because I'm doing rep ranges I never do with them.

hang snatch 70kg 5x3
clean 95kg 4x3
behind the neck split jerk (2nd day doing them) 90kg 3x3
front squats 115kg 3x4, should be good for 120 next week

my squatting is not as strong as it should be tho
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

The Ultimate wrote:I've taken a month long break. A lot of it has to do with a shoulder pain I've been experiencing. Don't know what it is, probably a sprain but it's been bothering me for a month. It hurts slightly when I move my arm over to the other side, and definitely hurts when I lift.
Two months later this pain is persisting. What the fuck.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I've got shoulder and knee pain from lifting/cycling, had them both for years now :|

we aren't as young as we once were
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

The doctor said it was an inflammation of some tendon, something like that, bursitis. Isn't that supposed to heal up? I got an Xray done I don't have a fracture. So why should this pain last so long...
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

The human body is complicated I guess. I've had x-rays, ultrasounds, MRI's, massages, physical therapy... no better.

I just train around my injuries now.

Unsolicited advice:
1. Benchpress, if you can - find a variation that works for you. I can only do flat bench with a wide grip, I do 1-5 sets per week with a heavy weight and no more than that. I still get stronger when I put the effort in.

2. When I do train shoulders I don't do overhead pressing movements, I just can't do these without pain. Instead I do the following for high volume:
a. Side raises on a cable machine, I lift the weight handle only slightly to the side of my body.
b. Upright rows with a wide grip on a bar, sometimes I also do these with a heavy dumbbell (20kg or so)
c. Lying face pulls. These feel great for me, much better than rear raises. I go somewhat slow/controlled and do sets of 12+ repetitions.

3. Pull ups or any rowing movement, if arms overhead hurt then do seated rows instead but lots of volume.

We're not all built to have the most balanced physiques, there's always something you can train with things are repairing themselves, even if my injuries don't seem to do that.

If any of the above seems too much for you then I'd go see a physical therapist for some exercises and further advice.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Some cases of bursitis involve draining the fluid sac that builds up around the area. Swimming is supposed to help with shoulder injuries like that if it doesn't aggravate it. And training around it and doing other lifts that don't aggravate it is a good idea, promoting circulation.

Joints/connective tissue are avascular so they don't heal nearly as fast as other things due to the very low blood supply. Certain injuries won't improve at all on their own without surgery like meniscus tears or full tendon ruptures.

My knee injury happened in Feb/March and I've only been lifting approximately fully pain-free for the last month, squatting 130kg now hurts less than 45kg did about 3 weeks after the injury. Pain barrier was raised gradually, my PT says it's a process of pushing until you find it and retreating, repeating. It takes time. Probably would've taken longer if I did absolutely no exercise.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I did me a heavy thing yesterday

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlmHPw5lOHl ... efreeworld

Knee started to hurt a bit after that, but I still managed to squarsh 130kg pain free. Just in time for a deload.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i am still doing no exercise whatsoever
i think in this period if i lived right nextdoor to a gym i might

if it was cheap
and open at convenient times
maybe
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

User wrote:
if it was cheap
and open at convenient times
maybe
Literally why I bought my own equipment and moved to a place where I could lift without noise complaints. Paid for itself already basically. Not being able to do stuff past 8-9pm at my regular gym got really annoying.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i ran a footrace yesterday, for the first time in many months

it was a trail run and i was inadequately prepared. this resulted in my slowest-ever race time

also i tripped on a root in the 6th mile and fell into a barrel roll and bruised my back and knee pretty good

however finishing was quite a satisfying thing :beer:

onto the next race
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

I ran! For the first time in years. 3,1 km, took me about half an hour :redneck: My legs got sore before I ran out of breath. If I do this once a week will that improve my condition? :huh:
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

https://www.freemaptools.com/measure-distance.htm
With this site you can measures distances :cool:
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Circling the westerwijtwerdermaar
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i am eager for autumn to truly arrive, the cool temperatures will allow me to discover the extent of my summer training’s success :twisted:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Yesterday I did squarshes with 135kg for 5x5. No pain, and I wasn't totally exhausted afterwards. Was kind of ecstatic that I'm handling these tonnages again without my knee giving me shit, I am pretty sure this matches my lifetime PB for 5x5.

I did aggravate it last week with some 90kg pushpresses here weirdly, but 2 days later I was fine. Sucks cause this is my favorite upper body exercise, but I have plenty of other options.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn5FLEXBd75 ... hare_sheet
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i was running pretty good & then stalled out for a couple weeks & then a race i’d signed up for weeks earlier kicked me right back into it a couple saturdays ago :god:

last week i ran 20 miles without a half marathon to stagger the total for the first time in i don’t know how long :xx: feeling mighty good in this period
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Been doing lots of squatting and pulling, continually setting a bunch of lifetime personal bests. Over the past 2-3 weeks I set these, basically a PR on almost every training day.

4x6 dips with 15kg on a belt
135kg paused front squarsh x1
130kg paused front squarsh x2
120kg non-stop front squats 4x4
140kg back squats 5x5
125kg x 4 front squats the day after
85kg push press from front 4x4 (mostly cause I went behind the neck for the last year or so and made it up to 91kg)
145kg no hook/no strap romanian deadlifts 3x5 grip still sucks

Not really a PR, but I've been doing 100kg split jerk doubles and triples immediately after push press, matching my best doubles from the front done fresh. Which means I should be able to jerk for nose picks way over that comfortably done fresh.

Bit of neglect towards the snatch cause my wrist has been feeling weird and cause it's fucking cold outside. Need more form-fitting winter clothes so the bar doesn't get snagged during fast movements close to the body. Will be interesting to see where my snatch and clean and jerk will be after I attempt to peak them.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

nice. i have been doing nothing but walking for the last month
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I drive to work and consequently have dogshit cardiovascular endurance :redneck: I have the gf's elliptical at home, I may decide to make a habit out of getting a few minutes a day if it starts to bother me.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i joined a gym three days ago, went first day, break second day, went this morning.

i don't know why i joined really, just one month. i hate doing weights it's so fucking boring. consequently i use the treadmills which have big screens and youtube and just metal the fuck out and run for 45 minutes, it's mad fun but the problem is i am already lean, so i don't know why i spent the money. like people are doing weights for their quads and hamstrings i mean ... why the fuck would i want oversized quads and hamstrings ? so i have been doing some pec stuff, like three nose picks of light weights, because i guess i would like a big chest and shoulders -- err, yeah this is my way of saying i just spent US$50 and i want to get my money's worth but not sure how. i guess a month of watching lyrics videos and live concerts while running and air guitaring is worth the money on its own actually
more metal
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

stfu and get buff
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Paying to use a treadmill seems like a waste when you have perfectly good floor outside for free. :redneck:

There are less immediate/obvious pay offs from strength training beyond vanity and just being stronger and being able to carry things without others' help. Bone stuff like delaying and even reversing osteoarthritis and osteoporosis from age. Strong back muscles and abdomen protect the spine and probably have a correlation with less back pain. There's some research about muscle mass' and grip strength's positive correlation with life expectancy and anti-correlation with dementia and stuff, although probably not a strong case on its own to do it. If you play field sports like footy or whatever, there's a strong case for having developed hamstrings and quads because leg injuries are far less common in athletes who strength-train and you'll be able to kick a ball really hard and take a hit a lot better.

Ultimately do it only if you enjoy the process of increasing absolute strength markers. That means prioritizing big lifts over small-muscle/isolation bodybuilding type exercises and continually increasing weights and nose picks on a very long term basis. Doing it motivated only by the mirror is imho how you get bored of it really fast or potentially becomes an unhealthy endeavor. I can't explain in words how gratifying it is to go from not being able to pick up 90kg off the floor to easily throwing 110kg over your head in one motion.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i can get on the board the health side of things but the buffness which i think we agree on is just weird to me
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Look into strength sports like strongman, powerlifting or olympic weightlifting instead of just doing the typical bodybuilding workouts. IMHO they're a more enjoyable and time-efficient way to spend time lifting weights than chasing an ever-moving subjective aesthetic goal, all the while still making favorable (and often faster) changes in physique.

Also, inconsistent training recently cuz of work but I squeaked out a 90kg snatch this week without really preparing for it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq8nyH9lRxV/
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Heavy metal while lifting the same :xx:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

temple of void is heavy shit :xx:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I need to get into weight lifting. Not for my physique alone but also for my lowe back (pains), balance and posture. It also has a lot to do with mental health.

Like Lavabug said, paying a gym here is very expensive and not a place I’d like to go to often. Rather have things at home to use.

I’m a newb when it comes to this so looking for info.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

5. Should be “rest” ;
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Lavabug wrote:squeaked out a 90kg snatch

story time
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

It's literally in the video below it.

I did it again yesterday too:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvpSnx2FknO/

Also recently set some lifetime squarsh, strict press, and push press PR's, most of which are on my IG. Getting in pretty strong shape despite my erratic training schedule:

strict press 70kg/155lbs x 3
power clean+push press 90kg/200lbs 4x4
muscle snatch 60kg/132lbs x 3
front squarsh 135kg/300lbs x 3

Repping 150kg/330lbs in the back squarsh again too, heaviest I've gone since my knee injury. Been climbing with the weights pretty fast over the last 3 months and I'm quite happy with it.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i was making a sex joke and you did not reciprocate :frown:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »