New gaming desktop ideas thread

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
Grudge
Metal God

New gaming desktop ideas thread

Post by Grudge »

Hey guys, now that I'm going to be making a little more money with my new job that I start on next week, I can stop living like a cheapskate. Well, I'm still going to live like a cheapskate but it's been 13 years since I built my last PC, and that was a mid-range one because I was still a student then.

After doing some research on PC Parts Picker and looking up various reviews and pricing, I have come to the following general specs. I'm thinking that since I'm 34 years old, I should enjoy video games for a few more years and then quit when I'm 40. So this will be the last PC I get. Might as well make it top of the line and quit in style. I should be able to sell it to recover the costs when the time comes.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger when the new line of nvidia graphics cards is announced in late August and prices drop as a result on the current line. Here are the core parts.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 or intel equivalent. Undecided.
GPU: Geforce GTX 1080 ti
Memory: G.skill 16 GB DDR4 3200 mhz
Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27 inch gsynch 1440p 144hz.

Throwing in an ok compatible motherboard, an sdd and hdd, a 750w gold power supply, case, keyboard and mouse, this would put the price at roughly $2,000 with discounts and rebates. A fourth of that cost can be financed through Amazon. I'd be ordering from various places.
Grudge
Metal God

Re: New gaming desktop ideas thread

Post by Grudge »

The monitor is expensive as fuck though upwards of $500. I sure could cut down if its not a big deal to get more than 60 fps on games. Getting a 60-75hz monitor would cut down cost by $200. I'm sure as fuck not interested in competitive gaming.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Okay the last PC I built was back in 2010 so I’m not that up to date but are i7s and more than 8 GB of RAM really that necessary for gaming nowadays? Seems as if it’s more or less 70% more about the video card (and the PSU required to power it) nowadays, correct me if I’m wrong. Though, I do understand that people in industries like IT, media production or in engineering will need high end machines and more than 8 GB of RAM. I’ve heard good things about them Ryzens though.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I'm open to challenging notions that 16GB is needed. I was going off of recommended specs. I don't know for sure that I need more than 8 GB or even a 144hz expensive monitor. If it saves me $300 bucks I'm all for it if doesn't gimp my system.

Also maybe I should wait for Black Friday to possibly get deals on these specs.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

would not recommend going under 16GB honestly, lots of ram is good for regular day to day shit like leaving your browser open for three months at a time without having to restart it
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

Hitoshura wrote:would not recommend going under 16GB honestly, lots of ram is good for regular day to day shit like leaving your browser open for three months at a time without having to restart it
https://www.theonion.com/accidentally-c ... 1819579454 :redneck:
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

The Ultimate wrote:I'm open to challenging notions that 16GB is needed. I was going off of recommended specs. I don't know for sure that I need more than 8 GB or even a 144hz expensive monitor. If it saves me $300 bucks I'm all for it if doesn't gimp my system.

Also maybe I should wait for Black Friday to possibly get deals on these specs.
stormicus is right, 16gb is about the standard these days for a good gaming pc. i would skip on the expensive monitor if it were me. i actually use cheap asus monitors and i have no complaints but i'm not a snob about monitors quality
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

The idea behind the 144hz monitor is that if you are able to produce more than 60 frame rates per second your monitor would be able to show that. If you use a 60hz monitor then your framerates are capped at 60 per second. A lot of people say that framerates higher that 60 are a noticeable improvement.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

If you have enough cash for a fancy monitor, why not just use that extra money for a better video card/CPU/etc.?
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

shadowalk wrote:If you have enough cash for a fancy monitor, why not just use that extra money for a better video card/CPU/etc.?
shadowalk knows what's up. i'd rather get a cheaper monitor and either save the extra money or spend more on the actual pc
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

I spent £2300 on a Pc last year, best money I've spent, just got that exact monitor you quoted last month for £440 on prime day, and god damn you need to get a 1440ps or 144hz monitor. this shit is insane
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

I CANT FUCKING READ THIS FORUM THE TEXT IS SO SMALL I LOVE IT
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

:krinor:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Move closer to the screen
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.