looking for honest critique on my music

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
zim
Zim(a)

looking for honest critique on my music

Post by zim »

so i'm slooooooowly working on my "album" but i've got mad writers block lately and i need kind of a reality check

these are a few very short intros/clips of songs i'm working on. they are all rough demos, etc, but i would really appreciate some real, honest feedback. like tear my shit down and tell me if it sounds anything north of amateur or if i should give up. does any of this sound remotely legit and do i even have a chance

https://youtu.be/zF_q_cQ1U_Q
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: looking for honest critique on my music

Post by vO)))id »

I will definitely listen to this seriously tomorrow.

If you’re open for tips, I can PM. :santa:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

me: hey do you like this riff
mabb: :krinor:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Good thing you reminded me :redneck: I was sick :homework:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Those are fucking killer riffs brother!!! :bang:

Not listening to the mix or whatever, just purely to the material and all I can think is: why the fuck are these intro’s so short?! I WANT MORE!!! :waa:

Seriously. It has some real fucking potential!

Love the open string dissonance. Reminds me of Ulcerate and the likes. Seriously packs a punch and a lot of energy.

If it would’ve been shit I would tell you. But I definitely want finished songs now!
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

zim wrote:me: hey do you like this riff
mabb: :krinor:
:santa:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

that means a lot, seriously it does, thank you. i really want to put a whole album worth of material together but it has been such a struggle. i'll get 10 seconds of something i like and get stuck for what seems like months when trying to come up with the next part :homework:

but seriously, what you said is motivating and helps me think i'm on the right track :xx:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

zim wrote:i'll get 10 seconds of something i like and get stuck for what seems like months when trying to come up with the next part :homework:
Go for it dude.

I know how tough it is to write songs, especially in this genre. A simple A-B-A-B-Bridge-B won't really work or be interesting.
Plenty of ideas to go around but finishing a song is hard work.

Here's a tip though... sometimes you have an idea or a riff that sounds so fucking cool you want to open the song with it. Well, sometimes it might be wiser to build up to that part and have it be the climax or chorus. To do that, you take ideas, melodies, chords, riffs, etc. from the part you came up with. Piece by piece building it up. The possibilities are endless and that's exactly what makes it difficult.

So in other words, work backwards instead of chronologically. This can relieve stress or writers block. Not saying it's a magic tool but it helped me many times.

Please keep sharing and please find people (if possible) to work with, in real life... not online. That makes so much difference when it comes to finishing songs.
Z's bouncy tits
Oklahoma

Post by Z's bouncy tits »

Really like the third one that begins at 0:44.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

The first one is also fucking crazy. MADNESS I TELL YA
Z's bouncy tits
Oklahoma

Post by Z's bouncy tits »

Madness indeed.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Really good Zim! Especially that first opener, insanity as music :bang:
I can hear though all of them have a common thread, and that's a good sign. An album is concocting there.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

i enjoyed these :xx: the first one in particular, it grabs one's attention :bang: :twisted: :bang:

however you owe the world your book of poetry first
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

The mix is good, although the highs on the drums are kinda harsh on the fast bits like at 0:50, kinda gets mushy.

I like the slower riffs with tons of reverb, reminds me of brutality's screams of anguish which is 100% a compliment. Vocals are good.

Definitely does not sound amateur, I'd sooner listen to this than many "professional" bands on nuclear blast or whatever.

Would probably touch your peen after a gig/10.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

I could be wrong, but not sure if it's about the quality of mix and production more than it is about the music at this juncture. But as I said, could be wrong. Only Zim can say.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

thanks for the feedback guys, it was super motivating to read and i really appreciate it :xx: :xx: :xx: :jugcheers:

regarding the mix, this is all just demo stuff, i hardly know what i'm doing when it comes to production. i don't currently do much more than tweak volume levels and very minor eq stuff. when the time comes i would really like to go to a legit studio and have everything recorded professionally, i'll deal with that when the time comes.

long term goal, it's kind of my dream to release a real album, get some label to pick it up, and do a tiny bit of touring. i can die happy if i'm able to accomplish any of that
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

These clips are good but they are also just clips. If you want real honesty that can even hurt feelings you've got to bare the songs in their full naked glory.

As far as production mix goes, it sounds good.
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

sounds good dude