Programmers?

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
vO)))id
Metal God

Programmers?

Post by vO)))id »

I know some of you work in computer tech in one way or another.

I just started learning Python and was wondering if there are any other programmers here. Maybe also using Python?

I was never a huge fan of programming but figured this might be handy to learn for the future so just starting as a hobby with YT tutorials.

When I have a solid base in this I might want to also learn JavaScript but we'll see how it goes.

If you do use any of these languages; how are you using them?

:santa:
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Programmers?

Post by zim »

i've been working as a programmer for about 10 years now and have a degree in computer science :suss: sorry for the incoming wall of text..

when deciding to learn to program it's best to have some kind of goal in mind. a lot of people want to learn how to code but don't actually have a real use case for it. python is a good general use language that can solve a lot of problems. for example, i had a request recently where a client had a PDF which contained a few hundred pages and they wanted to sell this PDF to customers. to discourage unauthorized sharing, the client wanted each pdf to be watermarked on each page with a unique code. that's a lot of fucking work to do by hand. with python i was able to write a script that automatically applied a unique watermark to each page, the whole process now only takes a few seconds.

i had a music professor who did a creative experiment where he cut up the tape of a recording and then mixed it all up and taped it together randomly to get a bizarre song structure. i replicated that with python. i had a program read an audio file, randomly slice it up into intervals of a few seconds, and then randomize those slices and piece it back together. a silly program but it was fun.

so programming really kind of depends on what you want to do. the language doesn't necessarily matter, i hardly know python but i can get things done with it because programming concepts are more or less the same across languages.

a lot of "coding" has become synonymous with "web development" since that's where a lot of employment is these days. it's relatively easy to become a web developer now. javascript is mostly used in web applications but it has expanded far beyond its original use. javascript is used on websites to do things like animations and changing elements on a page. but javascript is also used to make programs like discord.

speaking of discord, if you're familiar with discord bots, you can use python to make a bot. so you can have a python program 'listen' on your discord server for a specific command like '!play morbid angel' and it will pick up that command and deliver a morbid angel song in the chat. :interessant:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Nice! Great info :xx:

I have no idea yet in what kind of application I will or would be using my knowledge. I'm totally new to it so I'm an über n00b...

The reason I am learning it is because it interests me. It's not because I am looking to get a job as a web developer or a software engineer. I am not even sure I'd be the person for such a thing... but who knows what I come across in the future.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

did vahmpy become the internet yet
more metal
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Nnnnnno.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

all the major tech companies have been laying off thousands of employees recently :oldryan:

it does make me wonder how there is enough work at these companies for so many people. like Facebook fired over 10,000 people, what the hell were they all working on. they still have over 50,000 employees
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

maybe someone smarter than me can chime in but I once read that during the cold war the us made it a priority to make sure every citizen had a job just to 'flex' on russia. the problem though is that a lot of those jobs were actually meaningless but it stuck.

:stormysignal:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Not all of them are programmers but yeah... that's a lot of fucking people.
However, so many countries have their own Facebook, Google, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc. companies. So would that be 50,000 people over several countries and offices?
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

yeah that number is probably worldwide but still god damn you know
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

i recommend the mitx course thats called something like "intro to computer programming with python", and the follow-on one course to this
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i recommend you import deez nuts gleeso
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

aw gay
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

how are you getting on with this?

I've been studying SQL and completed a data analytics course that touched on R. I am not sure I need to learn much programming just yet but I think Python is a something I'll look into in the future :grimsanta:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

my mate in seattle had his project nixed by bezos but amazon is rehiring him to do something else starting jan 1, so he lost his job but only his job, most of his teammates lost their job jobs, ya know
more metal
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

bills bro wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 00:40

I've been studying SQL and completed a data analytics course that touched on R. I am not sure I need to learn much programming just yet but I think Python is a something I'll look into in the future :grimsanta:
python would definitely be useful going into data stuff. a fellating lover of mine is actually interviewing for a data analyst spot today using r and python
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

zim, do data scientists of data analysts or whatever get good pay, and why dont you do that?
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i think the pay is pretty good

also i didn't do great in my only stats class in college so i am scared of it :redneck:
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

yea, but couldnt you just program the computer to do it
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

you'd think so
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

cant you just do machine learning to it
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

zim wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 12:16
bills bro wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 00:40

python would definitely be useful going into data stuff. a fellating lover of mine is actually interviewing for a data analyst spot today using r and python
Studying Python now. I started with a general book on Python but I wasn't very motivated and I felt very dumb. I've now gone specifically to learn about Python for data manipulation and analysis. I am much more motivated to learn this as it's clear how I would apply it to my life.

From what I read, Python is a bonus but definitely not required for some of the roles I'll be applying for. While I have the time however it seems useful to learn.

Python, R and stats is more useful for Data Science roles, and while there's a bit of overlap it seems there's definitely two separate areas of employment and roles in both fields can be quite broad, the responsibilities of each can be wildly different depending on the company, industry. Also, salaries are much higher in the US versus here in the UK :(
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

Verbal wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 23:50
i recommend the mitx course thats called something like "intro to computer programming with python", and the follow-on one course to this
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

You should be good at SQL for data analyst / science roles as well. Not just Python. Some Machine Learning as well.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

is there anyone here who works in data science?
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I have a masters in business analytics and my wife works in data science.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

what is a typical starting data science salary and what would one need to be able to do to get such a job
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Type Data Scientist Salary Glassdoor on Google for UK salaries.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

and what would one need to be able to do to get such a job
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

Are you being serious? I'd check out some job postings , there'll be trends (degree in a STEM field, SQL, Python/R, statistics), just jump on LinkedIn.

You're recommending a course for Python, do you know this stuff already?
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

I took those courses a few years ago. i recommend them. however i haven't used any of that stuff since those courses. i am curious as to what various "data science" jobs might actually require one to be able to do before being a realistic candidate. hence why i asked to you all here if anyone happens to know the answer. i presume the field is very broad, and so the requirements will vary, but if someone here happens to be in the field, their summary of the types of entry level job, the requirements to get such a job, likely subsequent career and salary progression would be appreciated
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

Well they vary from place to place, industry to industry, etc. I would check out LinkedIn, to get an idea, speak to a recruiter if it's of interest.

Data Analytics is much easier to get into, but if you have the skills and interest then Data Science is better paying. Like many roles though, it can go from entry level to board level.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

isnt linkedin just a place where people post their cv?
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

It a social media website for the career side of your life? Basically Facebook for work. There is a section for job postings.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

can you get me a job where i get paid a lot for very little work
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

government
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

got a job as an analyst, mostly excel, Power BI/DAX, but it's experience in a job with "analyst" in the job title and more money so I'll take it and build :redneck:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

good to meet another analyst, i was an analyst for a while, i'm an ex-analyst
more metal
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

But you're still an analist.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

vO)))id wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 00:59
But you're still an analist.
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.