Raspberry Pi?

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
Z's bouncy tits
Oklahoma

Raspberry Pi?

Post by Z's bouncy tits »

Any of you dabble in said?

Waiting on a delivery of some pieces, then next week, ordering the Pi 4 8gb for all things retro gaming. Why next week? Car stuffs first.
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Post by zim »

yeeeeeees

i have a few raspberry pi's. used them for retro games, security cameras, linux servers, etc. they are really cool, lots of potential for projects and what not. you can use them as a fully workable computer which is nice as a backup.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Not really interested
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Ostx wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 03:59
Not really interested
you ever looked at ardunio's? those are more hardware related, you can do pedal/midi things with them, good to learn about embedded electronics and stuff.

vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Yeah I know arduino's but don't really like them either :P I prefer my pedals to be simple and analog.
It's cool what you can do with them but not really for me.
AgonyBag

Post by AgonyBag »

When I saw this thread I was like mega confused. Then my school ended up giving me one and now I have one. Not sure when I will exactly need it but I'll put it together soon. It's basically like a mini motherboard?
User
Metal God

Post by User »

yes but with more circuits and less power, for extended OS supply and core cycles
more metal
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

AgonyBag wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 22:07
When I saw this thread I was like mega confused. Then my school ended up giving me one and now I have one. Not sure when I will exactly need it but I'll put it together soon. It's basically like a mini motherboard?
it's basically a computer - you can load an operating system on an sd card and run it the same way you would any other computer. the pins give you the ability to connect to circuits, you can control those circuits through the operating system. some common projects are weather stations, plant irrigation, etc.

a lot of people use them as retro gaming systems - https://retropie.org.uk/

they are also good for learning linux
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

you could actually use one for a local webserver, those can be useful when you work in web dev and need a specific environment to test in
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

youre such a nerd
AgonyBag

Post by AgonyBag »

zim wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 00:18
you could actually use one for a local webserver, those can be useful when you work in web dev and need a specific environment to test in
Makes more sense. When you say a "specific environment" is that referring to like a different operating system or?
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

AgonyBag wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 02:35
zim wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 00:18
Makes more sense. When you say a "specific environment" is that referring to like a different operating system or?
one of the problems you'll run into sometimes is software living on different operating systems or the same operating system you have but setup in a completely different way. you might develop your project on a server that has one version of a software but then deploy to a server with a completely different version and it doesn't work. the solution to this is something called containerization but it's more advanced

so say your client is running their app on a debian linux server with a bunch of specific software packages, you could mimic that environment on a raspberry pi. a different 'environment' isn't always a different os, sometimes it's just the collection of software on a system
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

this can actually be an annoying lesson to learn because it's not always obvious. for example, you might write some code with the help of something you found online but it doesn't work when you deploy it and you get no error. what happens a lot is the code you've written is newer than what's supported on the server. or you might use something old that has been replaced and again, no error message. fun!

:homework:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

depends a lot on where you work though - i work in a really small office so i don't have the luxury of delegating the server environment bullshit to someone else. more sophisticated/normal offices will have someone in charge of that stuff and you won't have to worry about it but it's good to know
AgonyBag

Post by AgonyBag »

zim wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 03:11
this can actually be an annoying lesson to learn because it's not always obvious. for example, you might write some code with the help of something you found online but it doesn't work when you deploy it and you get no error. what happens a lot is the code you've written is newer than what's supported on the server. or you might use something old that has been replaced and again, no error message. fun!

:homework:
oh lawd...am i ready for this? :rofls:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

you should be okay haha but there is a lot of unexpected weird shit you can run into. there's more to learn than just the code. code is the easy part most of the time