Let's talk - Trey answering fan questions in the comments

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Mutilator
Ancient One

Let's talk - Trey answering fan questions in the comments

Post by Mutilator »

[youtube][/youtube]
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Let's talk - Trey answering fan questions in the comments

Post by zim »

reposting some of the comments from that video for morbid angel archive nerdery

What is the significance of watching the Hit series “BATTLEBOTS?!?!?”

Trey: Well, I love BattleBots and first time I ever saw such a thing was hanging out with Erik Rutan and Shaune Kelley in their Crypt in New Jersey. Me and Richard were hanging out there one night back in the day of Altars record. It was an acid place and we were all high and someone put in a VHS of college students making battle robots. I made a song called DEAD based on Battlebots and it was about the left and right guitar being like robots fighting and the left guitar has a vertical spinner blade and the right guitar has a horizontal spinning blade.

Did you like living in North Carolina and do you still have any connection to any places up there? Also, where did you get your green/black Ibanez Universe?

Trey: Moving from Tampa Florida to Charlotte NC was something. I remember telling David something like "Well I dunno about moving like that"
Once me and Richard moved there we all worked at a car wash called AutoBell. It was a cool place and I remember use smoking week in the so called
Work Room Area. The best was when we worked there during the winter and the cars come out washed and the water start to freeze on the cars.

What is your creative process with creating songs? When you write a song do you implement a riff library to pull out ideas from or do you simply improvise the riff transitions and structure?

Trey: It started in the late 70s when I would sit in front of my stereo speakers and listen to Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Frank Marino and whatever.

I would pretend I was getting into a rollercoaster.
Of course I was really high..., I would just let the music hit me with all it’s flows and hard hitting trippy stuff.

That helped me identify with the flows of really cool feeely music. Later when I played guitar and made songs I still came from that place.
I even sometimes see a new song as a new dungeon for Dungeons & Dragons.
When writing I would always think about how the riff pops off the drum beat and for many songs
I used a drum machine to create the drum foundations so the beats would fit my riffing proper.

Trey:
Let's talk about Band Rat Houses.

My first band rat house was with Mike Browning and Richard Brunelle and Johnny Ortega. We had a rat house near Sulfur Springs Tampa Florida.

There we added all this carpet on the living room walls which was our jam room and in kitchen we had a huge 4x8 of plywood with Jesus drawn on it and

we used it as target practice with throwing stars. The Rats loved to crawl around in between the carpet on the walls used to deaden the sound.
We also, back then, we tricked the electric company by messing with the meter and just turn it upside down and then it would count backwards.
User
Metal God

Re: Let's talk - Trey answering fan questions in the comments

Post by User »

interesting :santa:
more metal