MORBID ANGEL 'ILLUD DIVINUM INSANUS' EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Uni777
Ancient One

Re: MORBID ANGEL 'ILLUD DIVINUM INSANUS' EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW

Post by Uni777 »

Und so weiter. danke schön. :santa:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="pulsar"]I thought about trying to get the lyrics to Nevermore but I kept thinking I was deciphering a Domination track. Some lines even sounded identical to me :redneck:

I'm not scared for the music; I'm really not. I think it will be weird but cool. It's the lyrics and vocals... the lyrics and vocals are going to be another Domination... but worse!!!!!! from the examples given in the preview.

"stroke me, for i wish to orgasm"... I do hope the guitar tone is better than Heretic. I did not like it as much. Leads sounded good but rhythms were all blech kkhhhkhkhhhhh[/quote]

My english is not good enough to get it. Just tried again. I only hear some words standing out.

I'm realy curious for the guitar sound. When punchy came hanging out in our dressing room he told me Trey was really happy with the guitarsound of H.
xpocalypse

Post by xpocalypse »

for me it still has a chance.

At the moment I don't give a fck about stupid titles and lyrics, I need to hear it to believe it.
http://www.lastfm.pl/user/TorturePainKill

"Kill. Kill them all. Pigs written in blood on the walls..."
Vooder
Mature Neophyte

Post by Vooder »

From David Vincent's FB

«OK friends. Back from press conference at the home of Season of Mist in France. There was a listening session followed by interviews that lasted for several hours. In attendance were journalists from France, Germany, Sweden, Italy, Spain and UK. The outcome: Everyone had a different opinion. Perfect! They all liked it but they all liked different songs for different reasons. This is going to be an amazing release!»
If it bleeds, we can kill it...
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="pulsar"]I thought about trying to get the lyrics to Nevermore but I kept thinking I was deciphering a Domination track. Some lines even sounded identical to me :redneck:

I'm not scared for the music; I'm really not. I think it will be weird but cool. It's the lyrics and vocals... the lyrics and vocals are going to be another Domination... but worse!!!!!! from the examples given in the preview.

"stroke me, for i wish to orgasm"... I do hope the guitar tone is better than Heretic. I did not like it as much. Leads sounded good but rhythms were all blech kkhhhkhkhhhhh[/quote]

My english is not good enough to get it. Just tried again. I only hear some words standing out.

I'm realy curious for the guitar sound. When punchy came hanging out in our dressing room he told me Trey was really happy with the guitarsound of H.[/quote]

The guitar tone isn't the problem, it's the bass that is lacking
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Agreed, the bass is missing, but there is something lacking in the guitar tone department too.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="uni777"]I'm realy curious for the guitar sound. When punchy came hanging out in our dressing room he told me Trey was really happy with the guitarsound of H.[/quote]

Do you agree it sounded too khkhkhkhkhkh or dvvvvvvv
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

He recorded the guitars with his marshalls as usual, and added tracks recorded from a solidstate fender (combo i think it was). Solid state and the RAT is not a good combo... It just sounds to fuzzy. The opposite of the warm round distorted MA tone..
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

I wonder what Vincent thinks of the Tucker era... is his opinion still all like "the other hard-on bearer" and seemingly ignoring an awesome part of MA history, or has he came to accept it??
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

[quote name="uni777"]He recorded the guitars with his marshalls as usual, and added tracks recorded from a solidstate fender (combo i think it was). Solid state and the RAT is not a good combo... It just sounds to fuzzy. The opposite of the warm round distorted MA tone..[/quote]

fender and death metal :alien: :alien:

weird :huh:
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

ever watched Karl from Nile back in the day? :redneck:

.....if you haven't, he always played a fender strat.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

the initial fender guitar tone can be converted into a death metal tone with amps and effect units ?

but fender amp for death metal :frown:
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

i think he used marshall amps during said era
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="lavaGhoul"]the initial fender guitar tone can be converted into a death metal tone with amps and effect units ?

but fender amp for death metal :frown:[/quote]

We used Fender Roc Pro's in Divine Rapture. With RAT in front and also modified the tube with sovteks. Great round tone!
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Verbal"]i think he used marshall amps during said era[/quote]

[quote name="uni777"]He recorded the guitars with his marshalls as usual, and added tracks recorded from a solidstate fender (combo i think it was). Solid state and the RAT is not a good combo... It just sounds to fuzzy. The opposite of the warm round distorted MA tone..[/quote]

he added the fender to get a clearer tone. Which backfired imo.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="lavaGhoul"]the initial fender guitar tone can be converted into a death metal tone with amps and effect units ?

You're sure you know what you are talking about?

Obituary play fenders... A strat with a humbucker is awesome.

And a good amp is a good amp regardless of brand. A fender bassman sounds awesome. And there are plenty more in the line.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Those Fender basses are fucking awesome!

Great tone and clearity. They tend to punch through all the low tuned fast picking in metal, just like some of the Yamaha bass guitars.

Fender definitely has good instruments and amps, also for metal. It's all about the player in the end.
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

[quote name="uni777"]

You're sure you know what you are talking about?

Obituary play fenders... A strat with a humbucker is awesome.

And a good amp is a good amp regardless of brand. A fender bassman sounds awesome. And there are plenty more in the line.[/quote]

so any type tone can be made from any amp(good one) ??

i am weak at these technical things :frown:
anubis211
Neophyte

Post by anubis211 »

Morgan from Marduk also plays a fender Image
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

ESP more nowadays but yes, another example!
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I have a Fender Princeton Chorus combo for gigs.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Love of Lava
God of Emptiness

Post by Love of Lava »

[quote name="Skincision"]
[quote name="IRONMAN"]
[quote name="uni777"]

I'm realy curious for the guitar sound. When punchy came hanging out in our dressing room he told me Trey was really happy with the guitarsound of H.[/quote]

The guitar tone isn't the problem, it's the bass that is lacking[/quote]

while lack of bass certainly didnt help things, treys tone on heretic was pretty :oldryan:[/quote]

i like the tone on heretic its different and fits the album imo
love of lava.
Love of Lava
God of Emptiness

Post by Love of Lava »

[quote name="M.Bison"]I wonder what Vincent thinks of the Tucker era... is his opinion still all like "the other hard-on bearer" and seemingly ignoring an awesome part of MA history, or has he came to accept it??[/quote]

i asked him about that but he always said that he has nothing to do with it and didn't wanted to talk much about it ...
love of lava.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

“We’re banging hardcore radical/Maniacal and animal”

Listen carefully:

...whoooosh....*splosh*

That was the sound of Morbid Angel, jumping the shark.
Uros

Post by Uros »

I for one like Heretic sound, it's pretty original. I think Trey used some Behringer amp tho?

Agreed about lack of bass guitar in the mix.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Love of Lava"]
[quote name="M.Bison"]I wonder what Vincent thinks of the Tucker era... is his opinion still all like "the other hard-on bearer" and seemingly ignoring an awesome part of MA history, or has he came to accept it??[/quote]

i asked him about that but he always said that he has nothing to do with it and didn't wanted to talk much about it ...[/quote]

When I saw them in 2005 or 2006 I asked Tony Norman if they were going to break out the F/G/H stuff again. He didn't exactly say "Dave doesn't want to do it," but he said something like "maybe we'll eventually be able to talk Dave into doing a few." I got the clear impression that he wasn't interested in doing those songs.

Back around 1997, some friends that went to see Genitorturers talked to David about Formulas. He said he wasn't into it because it had no hate. And he said that "you can't get some no-name hillbilly to replace me." I don't know if he resented that they went on without him at all, or that he had been replaced by a newcomer. But he was pretty anti-Tucker. Granted, that was really early on. But I can't imagine that they're only doing classics because that's what Trey wants to do.

Re: Heretic rhythm guitar sound, I really hate it. It just sounds THIN. From what I recall Trey wanted every note to be intelligible, and every note pretty much is. But it doesn't sound heavy. It just lacks balls. Sounds like flies buzzing, to me. You could add all the bass guitar you want to the mix and the guitar would still sound that way. And by all accounts, Trey LOVED the way the guitar sounded on Heretic. I don't get it.

It's also the one Tucker album where I don't think Steve sounds fruital. Sometimes he reminds me a little of Mike DiSalvo in Cryptopsy, where there's a shout component to it more than a guttural approach.

Honestly Heretic sounds like a demo to me. I guess the drums sound OK. Trey's lead sound is OK, I guess. Seeing them play some of these songs live just made me more disappointed in how the album sounds, because some of the songs are really good. The fact that they did guitars with Punchy scares me, although I get the impression that the guitar sounds exactly the way Trey wanted it to sound.

Ironically, even though I'm dubious about the supposed "industrial" approach on Illud, that might be what ends up making the guitars heavy. I've rarely heard any boring industrial band's recording where the guitars sound really thin.

<!-- m -->http://www.hypgnostic.com<!-- m -->
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Uros"]I for one like Heretic sound, it's pretty original. I think Trey used some Behringer amp tho?

Agreed about lack of bass guitar in the mix.[/quote]

I asked Punchy what was used and he said Marshall and Fender. There was a behringer V-amp (POD clone) on his console though. Maybe thats where the misconception came from.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

What puzzles me the most is the INDUSTRIAL approach. Trey said he did not like industrial and thought D sounded too industrial because of Bill Kennedy's background.. :huh:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

this is really, really, really disappointing. i also feel like my initial impressions of the album have been tainted by the prior knowledge gleaned by reading this review.

like if i had listened without reading anything my reaction would be different, but now... i have a lens. i have bias.

to clarify, i am not disappointed by the musical direction. electric stuff, whatever. six tracks, whatever. it'll be a unique whole.

i am always fascinated and interested by morbid angel's music and i am sure that this album will be no different.

it's just the gloss that really gets to me. the new image of the band. the track titles, the themes, the package. the ... attitude.

change is always good. but i am conflicted.
more metal
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

change isn't always good ;)
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Uros"]I for one like Heretic sound, it's pretty original. I think Trey used some Behringer amp tho?

I asked Punchy what was used and he said Marshall and Fender. There was a behringer V-amp (POD clone) on his console though. Maybe thats where the misconception came from.[/quote]

I remember reading one of Trey's interviews form that time, and him saying about using Behringer, but I guess Punchy is right.
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

[quote name="uni777"]What puzzles me the most is the INDUSTRIAL approach. Trey said he did not like industrial and thought D sounded too industrial because of Bill Kennedy's background.. :huh:[/quote]

I read a interview with Trey from CoC where the interviewer asks Trey why they where recording Heretic with a metronome and such a digital sound while he was saying in the past that he hated that kind of stuff, but Trey simply answered that change was a big part of his nature and also a big part of Morbid Angel. But he's always been disliking the lyrical content of Domination I guess.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Uros"]
[quote name="uni777"]

I asked Punchy what was used and he said Marshall and Fender. There was a behringer V-amp (POD clone) on his console though. Maybe thats where the misconception came from.[/quote]

I remember reading one of Trey's interviews form that time, and him saying about using Behringer, but I guess Punchy is right.[/quote]

I thought so too, but i specifically asked him about the behringer and he said no.

I agree on liking heretic. I think the lack of bass is wrong and the guitar sound is too fuzzy but i prefer H over G.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="Maze"]
[quote name="uni777"]What puzzles me the most is the INDUSTRIAL approach. Trey said he did not like industrial and thought D sounded too industrial because of Bill Kennedy's background.. :huh:[/quote]

I read a interview with Trey from CoC where the interviewer asks Trey why they where recording Heretic with a metronome and such a digital sound while he was saying in the past that he hated that kind of stuff, but Trey simply answered that change was a big part of his nature and also a big part of Morbid Angel. But he's always been disliking the lyrical content of Domination I guess.[/quote]

Pfff... :necro:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Well people do change.. and lets not forget we know a band from a bunch of albums and the occasional interview. We do not live with them on a day to day bases and see the development and expansion of one's personality. I know i changed and started to appreciate stuff i did not care about years ago.. The same with artist you THINK you know because of their releases.

I must admit i get dissapointed when bands change and their new stuff doesn't hit me like before. But for them it might be an evolution of years. It's easy to call them sellouts for such a change.

Maybe he had this imprint of industrial from kowing a few bands or what not. And lateron he discovered a whole bunch of stuff he did like but did not know off at the time... I know i had the same experience with blackmetal.
Ancient One

[quote name="Void"]
[quote name="Maze"]

I read a interview with Trey from CoC where the interviewer asks Trey why they where recording Heretic with a metronome and such a digital sound while he was saying in the past that he hated that kind of stuff, but Trey simply answered that change was a big part of his nature and also a big part of Morbid Angel. But he's always been disliking the lyrical content of Domination I guess.[/quote]

Pfff... :necro:[/quote]

Pfff to what? :huh:
Ancient One

The interview: <!-- m -->http://www.jensmetalpage.com/interviews_morbidangel.htm<!-- m -->

That's just something I remember, you made kind of a point of not using a click track back when "Formulas Fatal to the Flesh" came out. Whose idea was it to go back to using a click track?

It was mine. It's just all about the different types of music. Morbid Angel creates all kinds of stuff. So in this whole idea of contrast, we move back and forth. We're always changing, you know, change is the only thing that's real. Change is what's always happened. The dynamic of living things. So we change. And we're not worried about what we said before, that's just for humans to ponder. So basically, we're always growing. It's like a belief, you know, for anyone to think that a belief is real and permanent, I don't know, that's kind of a limited view, in my opinion. It should be updated just like, say, Windows is updated. What got you to this point might not get you any further. As we grow, our paradigms and beliefs should grow right with us. So basically, yeah, we're just always doing different things.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

"Pfff" to metronome, no metronome, metronome... so called paradigm shifting.

it gets rather old imo.
Ancient One

[quote name="Void"]"Pfff" to metronome, no metronome, metronome... so called paradigm shifting.

it gets rather old imo.[/quote]

Yes, I agree.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

5. 'I’m Morbid'

Hahahah
Love of Lava
God of Emptiness

Post by Love of Lava »

[quote name="uni777"]Well people do change.. and lets not forget we know a band from a bunch of albums and the occasional interview. We do not live with them on a day to day bases and see the development and expansion of one's personality. I know i changed and started to appreciate stuff i did not care about years ago.. The same with artist you THINK you know because of their releases.

I must admit i get dissapointed when bands change and their new stuff doesn't hit me like before. But for them it might be an evolution of years. It's easy to call them sellouts for such a change.

Maybe he had this imprint of industrial from kowing a few bands or what not. And lateron he discovered a whole bunch of stuff he did like but did not know off at the time... I know i had the same experience with blackmetal.[/quote]

thats a good point uni ! yeah i always wonder how they are today i mean in normal life.. e.g. if all these drug and disco abuse is true and stuff like that it could help to understand their current ways and decisions.
love of lava.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Back from press conference at the home of Season of Mist in France. There was a listening session followed by interviews that lasted for several hours with journalists from France, Germany, Sweden, Italy, Spain and UK. The outcome: Everyone had a different opinion. Perfect! They all liked it but they all liked different songs for different reasons. This is going to be an amazing release!

David Vincent
;,,;
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

On SoM's facebook pic of the box:

Scott Frank seems a bit excessive.

14 minutes ago · Like

Season of Mist no, it's just Morbid Angel!

about a minute ago · Like
;,,;
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:redneck:
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Post by Conservative_Heretic »

[quote name="Junkyard God"]Image[/quote]

I like the shirt

[edit] duplicated a picture. Corrected :redneck:
Fuck 'em
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

yeah the promo shirt is cool :idea:
Ninny