MORBID ANGEL 'ILLUD DIVINUM INSANUS' EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Anjel
Ancient One

MORBID ANGEL 'ILLUD DIVINUM INSANUS' EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW

Post by Anjel »

Grudge
Metal God

Re: MORBID ANGEL 'ILLUD DIVINUM INSANUS' EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW

Post by Grudge »

5. 'I’m Morbid'

Guess they didn't have Tom G Warrior in mind when thinking about that title track (R U Morbid anyone?)? But this is bound to be Wacken or Hellfest’s next official anthem. Built upon a spontaneous “Morbid! Morbid! Morbid” crowd chant, recorded during one of the band most recent European tours, its lyrics (“We stand invincible not just a dream/Straight from the underground/The gods are screaming”) are like a call to arms. If there's ever a successful ‘mainstream’ death metal song, this is the it.

Hahahah

:tear:
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

My hopes have faded. This album is going to suck.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

For those not wanting to explore the link:

No, the new Morbid Angel full-length album isn’t just eagerly-awaited! Since they set, with their first four records, the kind of standard that 90% of the current death metal scene still works toward, simply put, ‘Ilud Divinum Insanus’ (due on June 6th) is like the second coming of Christ. Except with more blastbeats, guitar wizardry courtesy of Trey Azagthoth and, erm, an industrial vibe. And, trust us, it has a fair share of surprises along the way, which will sure test their long-term term fans' sense of loyalty. Terrorizer’s Olivier ‘Zoltar’ Badin was invited to sunny Marseille last weekend to meet the band's prodigal son David Vincent and have an sneak listen to the band’s new album and give us this exclusive track-by-track preview of a beast of an album. Controversy guaranteed.

1. 'Omni Potens (intro)'

A keyboard-based intro heralds the start of the eagerly-awaited new Morbid Angel album with a medieval twist that could have well been pulled from ‘Blessed Are The Sick”. Intended, says Vincent, to “set a dark and ominous mood” before the guitar kicks in. The first inkling of an industrial direction comes roaring out of the speakers, a preview of what’s coming next. For better for worst.

2. 'Too Extreme'

If few moments on ‘Ilud Divinum Insanus’ are bound to raise more than a few eyebrows, this is most of definitively one of them. Fusing extreme metal with weird robot riffing and a martial beat, à la Laibach, this is probably what Digby (Pearson, Earache boss) had in mind when releasing the ‘Hellspawn’ compilation back in 1998.

3. 'Existo Vulgore'

The first obvious Morbid Angel track. Fast and extreme, just the way we like. With a classic Trey Azagthoth solo too.

4. 'Blades Of Baal'

The first of two tracks that new guitarist Destructhor (ex-Zyklon) wrote. “This is one of the fastest on the record. I think (drummer and session member) Tim Yeung goes as fast as 260 BPM on that one,” says David. The video made available on YouTube last October of Tim in the studio was shot during the tracking of that song.

5. 'I’m Morbid'

Guess they didn't have Tom G Warrior in mind when thinking about that title track (R U Morbid anyone?)? But this is bound to be Wacken or Hellfest’s next official anthem. Built upon a spontaneous “Morbid! Morbid! Morbid” crowd chant, recorded during one of the band most recent European tours, its lyrics (“We stand invincible not just a dream/Straight from the underground/The gods are screaming”) are like a call to arms. If there's ever a successful ‘mainstream’ death metal song, this is the it.

6. '10 More Dead'

Also composed by Destructhor and based on the same kind of sludgy crawling as 'Where The Slime Lives', Vincent describes this one as “another really heavy song with full-on seven-stringed guitar”. This even has a classic thrash break in the middle.

7. 'Destructos Vs. The Earth/Attack'

Back to the techno, or least Morbid Angel’s definition of it. Big beats and all, with some kind of childish backing vocals. An almost, wait for it, danceable tune, with sci-fi lyrics. No wonder EBM Norwegian superstars Combichrist have agreed to remix it for the B-side of the forthcoming ‘Nevermore’ 7”, to be released a month prior to the album.

8. 'Nevermore'

You probably know this one already, as the band have been playing it since summer 2008. Once again, classic Morbid Angel to the bone; fast and furious. The first track written for the album and the first one brought on the table by Azagthoth when the band decided to work on a new record.

9. 'Beauty Meets Beast'

Though this is another heavy monster, when asked if it is the band first openly sexual song (“Oh beautiful child/Come to me moist/I’m the great connoisseur”), Dave answers with a smile and says; “It’s about it time don’t you think?”.

10. 'Radikult'

The album’s sore thumb. Even if Dave says he was influenced by “Dutch hardcore techno, you know gabba” for this one and that in the end, “it’s just extreme music”, it’s hard to know what the Ancient Ones would think of such lyrics as “We’re banging hardcore radical/Maniacal and animal”. This sounds like an unreleased Genitorturers’ track, Dave’s old White Zombie-inspired band, where he played alongside his wife Gen. In the worst case, Marilyn Manson rip-off accusations will fly faster than body parts. If one track on ‘Ilud Divinum Insanus’ is most likely to crystallise the controversy, this is it.

11. 'Profundis – Mea Culpa'

Back to the 'ominous' synth-empowered symphonic vibe of the 'Omni Potens' intro, yet this time with über-weird guitar work by Trey and another martial tempo that all of a sudden switches into overdrive mode. A controversial way to end a controversial album? Definitely!
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Eh?

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I feel like crying.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

Go for it, man. There's no shame in it. We're all friends here.
EtherealMisery
Neophyte

Post by EtherealMisery »

description of track 9 is especially frightening. :oldryan:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Well... I'm going to shut the fuck up until I give it a listen myself, because otherwise I'm going to be crying with you.

And btw; that video of Tim tracking drums wasn't that fast, was it? :huh:
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

i bet they cover brockemoth as a japanese bonus track
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

First of all, understand that this is an album of NINE songs. The intro and outro don't count.

So out of the nine songs, six are proper metal songs and three are techno. You are getting an album with only SIX metal songs that have highly questionable lyrical matter.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

6 real songs, i am beyond sad...

i completely understand taking a long time to write songs, but this isn't even 1 song per year since heretic. :tear:

and wait, thor composed two of the metal songs? trey wrote 4 songs in 7 years? :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Yep... some people on here were correct with their predictions about the actual number of metal tracks.

For me, as a dutchy, having somewhat grow up with all that old gabba music from the early/mid gloryhole era , it definitely feels very out-dated, old and a stab in the back. Not to say that of course they're musicians and should have all the artistic freedom one can have, but after 8 years... this?
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I wonder what Richard Brunelle has to say about all of this
zambon
God of Emptiness

Post by zambon »

WOW!! :huh:

I am shocked right now.

But man, despise the fact I'll probably be very dissapointed with this record I fell like praising these guys for such a courage for doing this.

I mean, this is what true artists usually do. They are not afraid to try.

But thenagain, I am not going to force my self to like it just because it has "Morbid Angel" in it.
zambon
God of Emptiness

Post by zambon »

BTW, still impressed with the childish title "Too Extreme" !!

It would be understandable if was a Suicide Silence song, but from Morbid Angel :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

WTFFFF!
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

[quote name="Void"]Well... I'm going to shut the fuck up until I give it a listen myself, because otherwise I'm going to be crying with you.

And btw; that video of Tim tracking drums wasn't that fast, was it? :huh:[/quote]

no it wasn't; in fact it was rather boring

king of all kings is 260 bpm, by comparison, and i think also sacrifice unto sebek
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

So atleast i am getting 2 good tracks and i want to see Destructhor's work in 10 more dead.
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

R.I.P. Morbid Angel 1989 - 2000
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="Dusto"]
[quote name="Void"]Well... I'm going to shut the fuck up until I give it a listen myself, because otherwise I'm going to be crying with you.

And btw; that video of Tim tracking drums wasn't that fast, was it? :huh:[/quote]

no it wasn't; in fact it was rather boring

king of all kings is 260 bpm, by comparison, and i think also sacrifice unto sebek[/quote]

Proves my point. :santa:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]R.I.P. Morbid Angel 1989 - 2000[/quote]

Wow! Coming from you? Damn...

Anyway, I'd say 2003 :redneck:
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

This is like watching your favorite team lose in the World Cup
Desoppus

Post by Desoppus »

[/quote]
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Fuck. This is terrible.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]R.I.P. Morbid Angel 1989 - 2003[/quote]

:tear: :tear: :tear:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

To put things in perspective, this is what Trey wrote a couple of years ago:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Is the metal scene closed-minded???? Well, is it????

“My purpose with this blog is that I have a desire to create some live performance concerts sometime in the future that include a set of Morbid Angel along with sets of the most extreme representitives of industrial, hardcore, terrorcore, jungle drum and bass etc DJs and groups. EXTREME MUSIC FOR EXTREME PEOPLE!!!! Right???

“Well, so it seems there are certain promoters and so-called ‘authorities of the scene’ who have some idea that such a gig won’t work. Saying that metal people are narrow-minded and hate the various forms of hardcore DJ music for one reason or another. Is this true???

“People who know me know I am already a freaky freak artist and so then such an idea for crossing over such types of music is amazing. Exciting!!! As long as it’s freakin’ HARD-HITTING and SICK!!!!!!

“So… Why not, I ask.

“What is metal anyways???

“For me, ‘metal’ is for those who are bored with the constrictions and ‘safe practices’ of the mainsteam mentality, just like with any other socalled ‘underground’ scene or movement. Metal people wanna get mowed down by vicously sick melodies slamming over an arrangement of beats that twist the body and pull it in all directions. Freak them up. Metal, for me, is also about self-discovery. Not being sheep-like and playing ‘follow the leader’ but rather its about being free to express one’s own ideas without the fear of ridicule. If there isn’t any guts involved to challenge whatever is the current accepted patterns, then there isn’t much in possibility for any new things to arise.

“What are metal lyrics even about if not about either breaking free from the dominion of some slavery-oppression, or the act of rejoicing in the pleasure of what people have passions about? Of course, there are also lyrics about fantasy and mindfuck as well too. !!!=RAWR=!!! ;)

“For me, it most certainly ISN’T about tribal-group mentality nor mainstream behavioral thinking. It’s not about playing it safe either.

“What is the mentality of the mainstream??? Seems to me it’s quite associated with sheepish behavoirs, placing value on ‘fitting in and the approval of others’ instead of the freedoms of self expression.

“What defines the term ‘underground???’ Isnt it when people place what they believe inside of themselves over what is supposedly supported in their exterior mainstream environment???

“What is the difference in fabricating a product and creating art????

“Where does ‘trendy-ness’ surface and what is it to be trendy?? Isn’t it when people cannot find the source of certainties, direction and/or selfworth within themselves, especially as in those times when they are alone and not distracted, so therefore they need to base their certainties on how things reflect off of their external environment, including their peers?? Adjusting themselves to be considered favorable and to attract the approval of others outside of themselves???

“For some people in the world, the only thing ‘real’ is that which can be measured by the five mundane senses. For them, the inner workings are as some mysterious make believe which they sometimes play around with until any serious situation arises and then such things are placed back in the realm of ‘make believe,’ they, of course, fall back to earth and work from whichever foundation they find ‘certainty’ in, no??? Isn’t this a formula based on the dependence of others, and if so, what does this have to do with the freedoms of such a thing as independence??? Where is the ‘strength’ in such a behavoir??? Is it just that maybe it’s considered ‘cool’ and that’s cool enough???

“OK, so the question is, do metal people only enjoy gigs with a metal-only billing??? Or do metal people also enjoy some crossover, as long as it’s freakin’ over-the-top EXTREME???? Does anyone even care??? Please chime in. I wanna hear from you.”
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

See, I 100% agree with what Trey said there. The mixing of industrial influences and his electronic interests with his brand of death metal doesn't bother me. I looked forward to hearing what he does with it. Musically, I still do. It's the shitty cover art, stupid song titles, and David's absolutely mentally fucking retarded lyrics that depress the shit out of me right now. Seriously. Maybe the music will end up killing completely and leaving me a gibbering happy mess, but the lyrics will still suck -- and that's sad. I mean FUCK, how do you go from "Spawn of the ever rolling abyss/Ever espousing unluminous/Charred soul - Burned at rebirth/Quest not save the death of the sun" to "We stand invincible not just a dream/Straight from the underground/The gods are screaming" Th'fuck! :waa:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

“We’re banging hardcore radical/Maniacal and animal”
:waa: :eyes: :puke: :tear:
;,,;
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

“We’re banging hardcore radical/Maniacal and animal”
:waa: :eyes: :puke: :tear:
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

[quote name="pulsar"]See, I 100% agree with what Trey said there. The mixing of industrial influences and his electronic interests with his brand of death metal doesn't bother me. I looked forward to hearing what he does with it. Musically, I still do. It's the shitty cover art, stupid song titles, and David's absolutely mentally fucking retarded lyrics that depress the shit out of me right now. Seriously. Maybe the music will end up killing completely and leaving me a gibbering happy mess, but the lyrics will still suck -- and that's sad. I mean FUCK, how do you go from "Spawn of the ever rolling abyss/Ever espousing unluminous/Charred soul - Burned at rebirth/Quest not save the death of the sun" to "We stand invincible not just a dream/Straight from the underground/The gods are screaming" Th'fuck! :waa:[/quote]

as ive said way back before, David's going to dissatisfy us
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Music and art never dies :frown:

according to me there are already 6 great MA masterpieces, which are immortal, which i am never going to stop listening no matter how worst they go in future
Love of Lava
God of Emptiness

Post by Love of Lava »

i am sooo disappointed i can't put it down in words :frown: :frown: :frown:

R.I.P. Morbid Angel 1984-2003

:eyes: :shakefist: :tear: :tear: :tear: :tear: :tear::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
love of lava.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="Void"]

Wow! Coming from you? Damn...

Anyway, I'd say 2003 :redneck:[/quote]

Haha, if you must 2003 it is...

I'll say my piece because MA afterall was a huge inspiration and spiritual outlet for me growing up.

Yea I think MA has passed away. By that I mean the MA we all knew and loved is gone. Will some of these songs sound like MA?

Will they be successful? Is it not the right thing to do to move on with the times? Respectively I answer: sure, I think they will make good money,

yea it's important to stay relavent. But I also add: the songs will sound like MA but will the spirit be there? No, I think that's what is dead and gone.

Success can come from doing you're thing and being prominent in the public's eye and there's nothing wrong with that. But is this the MA, again, that we

have known to love? I don't think so. Staying fresh and relavent is great! But does one completely revamp themselves in which the ethos, vibe, and spirit is

just something else? Shouldn't it then indeed be something else? When Metallica died after And Justice For All, shouldn't have been named and reorganized as some other

band? The point I'm trying to make is that with anything, the true rendition of itself is always present and growing in its early form. Individuals, groups, artists are all,

and should be , considered power centers. Within that power center all conviction, ideaology, and thought is pushed and delivered through some creative means. But make

no mistake about it, that's what it is all about for them in the beginning. With that there's a certain brutality, harshness, and detachment that comes with it but that's the price

you pay! Who here denies that there was such an engulfing feeling of the true MA spirit back in the day?? Something that removed us from mundane perspectives, even for the

atheist?! MA did that to you; took you to other planes "beyond" yourself with force, feeling, and a pure anger that was justified by the world around it. There was something truly

dark but organic, evil but befriending, maniacal but intelligent, detached but inspirational about the MA we all knew. What I feel now is industrial, more accomodating, more extroverted, more plebian

more - human.

I'm not casting all blame to MA as if this is not some global phenomena that doesn't happen to everyone. It happens every day and it will happen to virtually everyone. The time comes when

a human being comes to an age where conviction becomes simply a means to live and get along not something strong thwarted to destroy and isolate, such as old MA. But that's what we loved.

I mean I get it, money becomes important and living comfortably but here's the irony that kills me and may be you too: I think, I truly believe that the old MA style and spirit would actually have

stood tall amongst modern trends and times as we know it now. A tincture of seriousness, more direct metal (with relavent updates, that's fine), Vincent and co. in fatigues or cargoes, and an

utmost sense of a detached spirtuality without a hot-topic, carnival flare to it. Imagine that, happening now. But forget it, that's what is long passed and it can't come back. It's a falling power

configruation as opposed to when they were younger it was ascending; into more power; into no thresholds; unadulterated complexity that made MA what it was. The symbolism of the change is all there with the departure of Sandoval and the additions of Yueng and Thor and how ironic to say the return of Vincent. (Nothing against them, just illuminating a point). I say that because Vincent's intentions and focus is something else now; less pure and less prolific.

They will most likely be successful but in a different way. Not our way; not what we loved and what shook us at the core. And who knows, may be within that motley disarray the sonority of

the once mighty MA will shine through here and there or perhaps through a song or two. But the disappoint lies within the greater picture. These small details that are dropped on us day to day are mere

symptoms.

Sorry if this is all overly dramatic :redneck: but I'm saying what I think and it's also cathartic at the same time (obviously because you all know how badly I've always wanted to be a vehicle in this band). But even

to that end, I for some time didn't realize, or I realized on a more subversive level, that I wanted to be part of the MA we know and love and that's gone now.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Thanks, Bob. I enjoyed reading that and I agree.

Do you get a salesman vibe from Dave now? I have in all the interviews since he rejoined -- vastly different from before.
;,,;
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="pulsar"]Thanks, Bob. I enjoyed reading that and I agree.[/quote]

[quote name="pulsar"]Do you get a salesman vibe from Dave now? I have in all the interviews since he rejoined -- vastly different from before.[/quote]

True, I have had the same feeling.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Dean - Get your wings! :redneck:

[youtube]AL28FGhZC3g[/youtube]

He sounds and looks like some ex-wrestler! :lol:
Victor Frankenstein

Post by Victor Frankenstein »

On the other hand, being that Morbid Angel has so much musical output (all that Trey's soloing for the last 20 years would leave anybody drained, and the fans always want more imaginative things) I think this is pretty much understandable direction. It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't any solos at all.
"Friends, this is clean-up time and we're discounting all our silent, electric Ubiks by this much money. Yes, we're throwing away the blue-book. And remember: every Ubik on our lot has been used only as directed."
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="pulsar"]"We stand invincible not just a dream/Straight from the underground/The gods are screaming"[/quote]

christ. morbid angel has gone nu-metal. this is just... depressing.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

I will join you all in a good cry. This is disheartening. I don't really listen to much death metal anymore and this album was one of the few dm albums I was looking forward to. This and the new Gorguts. My excitement couldn't be any less at this point.

Of the 6 metal tracks, probably only 3-4 will be any good. Hopefully all of them but I doubt it.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

I'm with Bob on this. I'll still check out the album and maybe it'll be enjoyable musically...but I think the spirit is likely gone. And it was always more about the spirit.

Honestly, that's why Domination never sat entirely well with me. I love the songwriting but even then, the lyrics started sounding very mundane for me. I actually can get behind most of the sentiment, but the way they were written sometimes ("my finger on the button" always sounded mundane to me, for a Morbid Angel song) just seemed...off to me. Around the time of Formulas I asked Trey what he thought of what David was doing in Genitorturers, and the way he put it was "it's very FLESH." At the time Trey was big into talking about flesh over spirit and vice versa (big theme on Formulas), and it seems to me that in the classic days of Morbid Angel, it was mostly spirit, and a little flesh. Hell, even when Trey had Steve Tucker write lyrics, it still had that vibe. But from the little bit that I have read...seems like a lot of flesh.

"Flesh over Spirit, the motivator of the worthless"

And you know what..."Beauty Meets Beast," besides sounding juvenile and stupid, ISN'T their first sexual song. Wouldn't that be Blessed are the Sick? The lyrics in and of themselves aren't super obvious...but once they made that video, wasn't it pretty obvious that it was a sexual song? And while in retrospect the video was pretty corny, borderline embarrassing...the lyrics and the music had integrity. "My touch inhumane, nocturnal beast inside" vs. "Come to me moist." Come the fuck on.

I get that these guys go play in Morbid Angel, then they go home and they're regular dudes. Maybe they wear latex and get whipped (and worse?) by their dominatrix wife. Maybe they drop acid and go out and "bang hardcore radical." But when they did Morbid Angel...all that mundane shit was off to the side and the music came from that deeper place. I don't think David's visited that deeper place in a while, and I think it's probably been a lot of years since Trey's smoked a joint in the Temple of Ostx. Sounds like the Mundane is front and center.

We've got plenty of the mundane to go around. Used to be that Morbid Angel could help us re-connect with something deeper. Once upon a time Trey could take goofy (IMO) Kabbala mysticism and wrap it in much cooler imagery and put a real USEFUL message into it and REACH you (at least me). I don't think he cares to do that any more, but it's all conjecture, I suppose.

Whoever said David gives off a salesman vibe, I 100% agree. He's like your friendly neighborhood Morbid Angel Sales Rep.

Four Trey songs, two Destructhor songs. Hmm. Well...at least Thor seems to give a shit about death metal. I thought the Rutan songs on Domination were among the best, so you never know, Myrkskog is pretty cool.

I apologize for the long message. But their shit has meant a lot to me for like 20 years or more...so this means a lot to me, for better or for worse.

"They shalt become empty like the wind

The emptiest of shells so shall they be"

<!-- m -->http://www.hypgnostic.com<!-- m -->
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i'm still waiting for the press release where they reveal this was all a joke and go 'ok no, here's the real album title which actually makes sense, oh and have some not-completely-retarded song titles too. p.s., dave wasn't allowed to write any of the lyrics on the real album'
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Post by Conservative_Heretic »

In those immortal words :Bring 'em on!!!!

It is going to be a helluva ride kiddies! Kinda suspected something really crazy radical when almost all the newer shows I have seen since David came back, very little gets played from the last 3 albums. Can't explain it, but WOW! Okay, so when will the first leak come out, that is my question.

The write up was a good read. A little bit more of what to expect and others have said it well too: Trey has posted this kind of shit for a few years now, and well, it is Trey. I am not getting on the bandwagon of saying like them just because, but I reiterate what I wrote before - WE LIVE THIS SHIT! To see this much discussion is great.

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]I'll say my piece because MA afterall was a huge inspiration and spiritual outlet for me growing up. [/quote]

Excellent points and post. I think you are spot on with your assessment. :bang:

[quote name="IRONMAN"]I wonder what Richard Brunelle has to say about all of this[/quote]

I don’t know if he is a member yet or not, but I invited him a little while ago, so let’s see. :necro:
Fuck 'em
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah, richard has posted here a bunch of times, last year i think it was. we've had a few posts from members of the MA camp over the years, although never in any official capacity.

iirc one of the main threads concerning him got derailed into a bitchfest about religion or something like that, what with him converting to catholicism and all.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Thanks for your thoughts, I feel the same way about their previous work. Especially on Formulas, everything really touched me and moved me in an incredible way. Everything about that album, and others, make sense. There's a deeper meaning in everything, and not in a phoney wanna-be mystical way.

Even if the music of the new record will be good, the spirit is going to be lost for sure.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Post by Conservative_Heretic »

Void and Slimegod are touching on point that hits home for me as well, and that being the spiritual. As all can tell from my torn posts here lately, I am very torn. This music is really about the spirit, way more so than ever about the limiting of death metal per se, a thought I think gets lost on a lot. Not on this board, as I have found some damned kindred spirits here. Just need to hear, that is the main thing, need to hear the sound.
Fuck 'em
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

This album probably shouldn't have happened if you ask me. If Trey has only written 4 death metal songs in 7 years it's obvious that he's not feeling death metal anymore. And if that's true I'd have more respect for him if he just came out and said it. I'd be sad but not as sad as being presented with something mediocre.

People grow out of things though. Death metal is a raw, angry, and aggressive (and a ton of other things) type of music. You've got to have passion to play this music. I think death metal requires a certain aggressive passion, and if you lose that it's over.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i don't know, i don't think you can really separate the 'spirit' of MA from the music and end up with something good. it is, in my estimation, a large part of what has separated them from the other 99% of death metal that isn't worth listening to.
Syysysyd
Ancient One

Post by Syysysyd »

...and it just keeps getting worse. seriously, how could you still have high hopes for the music at this point?
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

This has to be a trick. They are intentionally lowering our expectations to get a more favorable reaction when the album actually comes out.