Hey Svartmetall

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Ninny
Metal God

Hey Svartmetall

Post by Ninny »

Are you a doom fan? :huh:
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: Hey Svartmetall

Post by vO)))id »

I think more of a Blackmetall kinda dude :redneck:
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Oh fuck yeah :) I've been into Sabbath since 1980, 'Warpigs' was the second song I learned to play (Priest's 'Beyond The Realms Of Death' being the first), and only today I was driving around town treating the locals to 'Elephant Star' from Candlemass' 'From The 13th Sun' at War Volume™ whilst appropriating groceries.

So yes, you could say I have been a tad partial to a soupçon of Ye Olde Doom from time to time :D
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:xx:
Z's bouncy tits
Oklahoma

Post by Z's bouncy tits »

Candlemass is the good stuff.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Oh, and if you like Doom then you need to get a Behringer SF-300 Super Fuzz pedal, it does a perfect reproduction of the sound Electric Wizard got on 'Dopethrone' and is only like £20 :) Also recommend is the Mosky Mini Muff pedal.
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

Do you ever listen funeral doom, like, Esoteric, Evoken or Skepticism?
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Dr. Gonzo wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 10:06
I've actually been into Esoteric since 1994, when I was sent a copy of 'Epistemological Despondency' for the radio show I was doing back then in Wales. Not heard of the other two, but then there's just so many damn bands these days; will investigate when I get a chance.

666MrDoom's channel on YouTube is a goldmine for new Doom stuff, by the way.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Ostx wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 22:08
I think more of a Blackmetall kinda dude :redneck:
Oh I loves me some black metal too...I'm pretty much a musical sponge, I can get something out of almost anything. Obviously rock & metal are the main course, but I love prog and classical music, electronica & ambient too and I'm currently exploring bits of jazz to try and get the hang of it.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Same here man. :idea:
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

Svartmetall wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 14:02
Dr. Gonzo wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 10:06
I've actually been into Esoteric since 1994, when I was sent a copy of 'Epistemological Despondency' for the radio show I was doing back then in Wales. Not heard of the other two, but then there's just so many damn bands these days; will investigate when I get a chance.

666MrDoom's channel on YouTube is a goldmine for new Doom stuff, by the way.
I follow that channel.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

All the time I was teaching guitar for a living (I did this for 15 years in Wales), I used to encourage my pupils to listen to the widest possible range of stuff on general principle.

It went something like this: find someone who's seriously into a form of music you know nothing about, and get them to lend or at least recommend to you 4-5 albums that represent the absolute pinnacle of that genre. if you still don't get anything from it, then that genre's just not for you - but you've not lost anything by giving it a chance, and if you do get into it, you've just opened up a whole new menu of musical flavours (or added a whole new bunch of colours to your palette, depending on which analogy I was using).

From my dabblings in jazz over the last year or three I know I don't like the Nina Simone-type jazz-singer stuff at all, and that big-band stuff leaves me kind of cold although I can appreciate some of the harmonies that happen; however I really like the smaller 4- and 5- piece type ensembles - Miles' 'Kind Of Blue' is already a real favourite - and also some of Coltrane and SonnyRollins' stuff in a similar setting. I also enjoy Miles' late 60s / early '70s acid-jazz stuff like 'Bitches Brew', 'Dark Magus' and 'Pangaea'/'Agharta', those are really fun.

So, yeah - try everything. You never know :)
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

you into the 70s jazz fusion stuff at all? i've been rocking a shitload of return to forever lately
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

jawn galliano wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 23:30
you into the 70s jazz fusion stuff at all? i've been rocking a shitload of return to forever lately
Bits of it; I have the RTF live album, and I love the Colosseum stuff (especially with Gary Moore, who's a massive influence of mine) and anything with Holdsworth playing. If there's good jazz fusion stuff you'd recommend, I'm all ears though :)
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i wish i were a bit more knowledgeable about it but mostly all i know is RTF and mahavishnu orchestra :redneck: check out romantic warrior & where have i known you before from the former if you're not familiar. mahavishnu's essential output is with the original lineup, innermounting flame, birds of fire, and trident sessions (which was shelved for like 30 years before it finally saw release)
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

God, I totally forgot about Mahavishnu - I am indeed a fan, and that shows how long it must be since I've listened to them. The version of 'Dream' on the live album is just amazing.