Dumb question from a non musician

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Paste Human
Metal God

Dumb question from a non musician

Post by Paste Human »

How do you visualize a fret board? I mean just knowing where your hand is supposed to land to make it sound the way it's supposed to. Is it like a code you just kind of figure out? Maybe intuition for some people?

For me I grew up loving music, but playing it just wasn't my thing. I kind of made sense of it on the piano, but never to the point of composition. I think with guitar - which I only ever had around from living with musicians - the sound of me trying something and it sounding horrible was enough to give up pretty fast. I've never been able to get past learning a song off a tab by rote, which I think we all know is the equivalent of data entry.
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: Dumb question from a non musician

Post by vO)))id »

Many years of practise and lessons in different genres for me. I visualize patterns on the fretboard but don’t have to look at it to play what I want. That’s just years of playing. I listen and feel. That’s it really. I don’t think about it, only when I’m figuring out scales or chordprogressions will I think about what I’m doing and relay that back to my theoretical knowledge.

Any musician who is fairly decent will tell you they’re not thinking about it.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

The idea of a chord having a shape fascinates me, but I would never be able to turn it into anything even though I feel like I know where that comes from. Same with music and colors. I've always loved album covers because of it. Especially the metal ones, back when they were painted. On the other hand being totally into something that at its core is a mystery to you is kind of cool too. Really just curious so I asked.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

it's really not that crazy. learning guitar typically takes years before you sound good but during that time you will have learned so many songs (or intros) that you start to develop an intuition of the fret board. you don't even need to understand theory and what not to figure out how to convey different feelings.

don't let any of that hold you back if you want to learn to play guitar, it just takes a long time but it's an awesome journey. it doesn't take away the mystery of the music. sometimes it will give you a greater appreciation for the songs you like when you learn how clever the riffs are, etc.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:idea:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

paste human i thought you played drums that's why your name was ddrum from the previous forum
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

speaking as a very bad musician i very much still have to look at the fretboard to get my bearings a lot of the time :redneck:
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

shadowalk wrote:paste human i thought you played drums that's why your name was ddrum from the previous forum
I went by "Drum Solo" for a while just because the name cracked me up for some reason. Never been a drummer and probably only ever screwed around behind a kit two or three times in my life :santa:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

i am mixing up people's names :alone:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

who was that dude that was cool but then told us he kicked a dog
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

was that delicious beer, did he change his name
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

we need to get after that dude then :ra:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

zim wrote:was that delicious beer, did he change his name
yeah that's the hard-on bearer, more commonly known as cat/rat hallucination i think
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

I'm trying to improve my chess visualization skills. I think I found the way, I hid a chess board for the blind in a box. Now I can solve puzzles on feel and visualization. I think this will work but it's so taxing that now I'm afraid to use it ;)
A bit of a stretch but this might work for an instrument too, hide that fret board and force yourself to visualize :grim: I know nothing of music, but discussing this with my guitar playing fellating lover I noticed we run into the same problems. There might be some parallels :bulb:

One strong parallel is this man, russian grandmaster and concert pianist :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sIj_6eyAoQ
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

:rocker: