Home Studios

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Home Studios

Post by M.Bison »

Post y'all home studios and list equipment.

Building mine for first time. Just got a Presonus Studio 24c interface today to start off with. Alesis ekit, various drum libraries on PC I need to figure out how to setup with. Waiting on some cheap Presonus Eris monitors next and should be good to go.

Decorating and sound proofing will come in the future, but for now I'm happy to finally have a way to work on stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: Home Studios

Post by vO)))id »

Nice :xx:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

At my "second home studio" and what I have here at my own home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

very cool all around
more metal
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

small recording setup

gear:
axe fx 2 xl+
shure sm58 mic
mackie HD1221 powered loudspeaker (this is for jamming the axe fx)
focusrite scarlett 2i2 (i think it's 1st gen?)
krk rokit monitors (i actually bought these because i saw vahmpy using them a long time ago :redneck:)

using cubase and addictive drums :xx:
axe.jpg
desk.jpg
speaker.jpg
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Christ vahmpy, looks like something from star trek! Awesome.

What would you guys say are some essential items that I can save for in the future?

My needs are basically for guitar recording and some vocals. I now have the basics; interface, monitors, drum samples, some impulse responses. I guess SM57 mic is the staple in mic'ing cabs, so that's on my list. I know nothing of anything else really.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

SM57 is fine for micing a cab. I would spend your first money into treating your room acoustics. No matter how much you spend on gear, if what you hear from your monitors suck, it doesnt matter.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I read back your OP and see you're getting monitors and will wait on room treatment. I would advise against that.

Get those monitors and treat your room. Even cheap studio speakers will sound much better and you will thank me later.

I built my own broadband and basstrap absorbers so there are plenty of cheap ways to go about it if you're a little crafty. Many youtube tutorials about it too.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

there are plenty of new bands with good/interesting production these days. heretic production really was not good. i liked the rawness of it but it didn't sound far off from someone recording an album in their bedroom.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Trust me that it doesn't come down to the choice of a Shure SM57 microphone if you're going to sound like 99% of the rest or not :redneck:

Gear has absolutely nothing to do with that. It's all in the musician's hands, the songwriting and the production.

I mean Billy Jean was Michael on an SM57 for the backing vocals.
Bono always uses an SM58 in the control room for his vocal takes.

Don't worry about your choice of microphones when just starting out. Especially if you're only going to record yourself/electric guitar.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Yes those are definitely fair points.

Pitten, Burzum's producer for the first few albums, actually used a headphone to record the guitar parts. :redneck:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

you could probably argue that a lot (if not most) of vargs fame comes from him murdering euronymous and being a part of the early black metal scene

also, what you're saying is silly. there's more music today than there ever was before and a lot of it is really good. if you're only paying attention to the popular names then you're missing out
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Also true zim.

But Burzum's early sound was definitely inspiring to many of the 90's BM bands, even before the whole Euronymous thing.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Billy Cranston wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 20:19
zim wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 17:44
you could probably argue that a lot (if not most) of vargs fame comes from him murdering euronymous and being a part of the early black metal scene

also, what you're saying is silly. there's more music today than there ever was before and a lot of it is really good. if you're only paying attention to the popular names then you're missing out
i dunno, probably. call me old fashioned but i still haven’t heard anything new that sounds interesting to me. there are ok new bands but in like 5 seconds i can realize who their influences are.
so you're just done with music? only the oldies huh?