Weird guitar question

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Weird guitar question

Post by Olden Polynice »

A fellating lover asked me to teach her kid how to play some stuff on guitar which I agreed to before being told he's left handed and doesn't have a left hand guitar. He's using it like Hendrix. This is probably a stupid question but could I try putting the strings on the opposite way you normally would? As in, he's still holding it upside down/reverse normal ways but I just switch the strings around so he's playing the low E first as opposed to the high E first. I feel stupid asking this quite frankly.

I told her I could probably just learn chords backwards ect and teach him the Hendrix way...Started fucking around playing left handed/guitar wrong way last night and it was like I had never played guitar before all of a sudden :oldryan:

Trying to take the least painful route here.

Any advice is appreciated.

Zim??
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Weird guitar question

Post by zim »

some people learn left handed with the strings upside down, it's kind of weird but can be done, dick dale famously played that way. it would probably be difficult to teach him to play like that though. if he's already started learning like that just cut it out early and have him flip the strings in the normal order, it'll be easier in the long run

it's completely fine to flip the order of the strings, same thing hendrix, iommi, and cobain did

*you will need to flip the nut around (or buy a left handed version) and adjust the action of the strings though
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

and if he's young enough he might even be able to develop ambidextrousness!
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

zim wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 09:12
some people learn left handed with the strings upside down, it's kind of weird but can be done, dick dale famously played that way. it would probably be difficult to teach him to play like that though. if he's already started learning like that just cut it out early and have him flip the strings in the normal order, it'll be easier in the long run

it's completely fine to flip the order of the strings, same thing hendrix, iommi, and cobain did

*you will need to flip the nut around (or buy a left handed version) and adjust the action of the strings though
Dan Swanö did that as well. Fucking weird.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »