third track

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
zim
Zim(a)

third track

Post by zim »

missing solo and some vocals, etc but 95% there. i have problems with this track but i'm sick of working on it and need to move on. feedback appreciated mabb fam. been going through some heavy shit i'm not ready to talk about yet, trying to distract myself.

M.Bison
Ancient One

Re: third track

Post by M.Bison »

Just listening on phone. Your composition skills are awesome mate. The atmosphere is up there with similiar bands and artists for sure. You're such a better and more creative guitar player than me, I could never come up with any of that kind of stuff.

Things to work on; I feel the vocals could use a little more 'fry' and the lows need a touch more power/volume or growl or something for a bit more of a convincing feel. The reverb on vox at some parts is a little loud in the mix too, maybe knock that down a touch.

Me and some friends are working on like a pop metal pop punk hybrid kind of thing. What they listen to mostly, the heaviest being bands like deftones or whatever, hence having to kind of meet in the middle. Anyways, yeah I've discovered vocals are definitely one of the hardest things to pull off and make sound good
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

M.Bison wrote:
08 May 2021, 20:50
Just listening on phone. Your composition skills are awesome mate. The atmosphere is up there with similiar bands and artists for sure. You're such a better and more creative guitar player than me, I could never come up with any of that kind of stuff.

Things to work on; I feel the vocals could use a little more 'fry' and the lows need a touch more power/volume or growl or something for a bit more of a convincing feel. The reverb on vox at some parts is a little loud in the mix too, maybe knock that down a touch.

Me and some friends are working on like a pop metal pop punk hybrid kind of thing. What they listen to mostly, the heaviest being bands like deftones or whatever, hence having to kind of meet in the middle. Anyways, yeah I've discovered vocals are definitely one of the hardest things to pull off and make sound good
thanks man :xx: at this stage i consider all the vocal stuff / mix as placeholders, these are just the rough draft recordings. i don't spend any time on mixing other than adjusting some volume sliders. when the time comes i'll let a professional take care of it. my vocals are kind of weak, i'll need a lot of practice before i enter a studio and what not.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

For some reason I totally missed this...

Fucking awesome once again man. Love the songwriting - like M. Bison said; it's right up the level of the bands you take inspiration from, without being a copy of them. Very well done.

Do you record your vocals with a compressor? I highly recommend it, being one that is a little slow and just doing a little bit of lifting. Like an LA-2A style optical compressor.
It helps a lot in getting a good performance where you might feel you need to push too much. A dynamic mic like an SM7b already helps with that, but still... try it out.

*FYI, you can try the Waves CLA-2A for example. Awesome little plugin.
I use a hardware compressor for it (Inward Connections The Brute).
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

jesus man, this is fucking fantastic. i have to concur with bison -- the songwriting here is excellent! for a rough draft it sounds great imo, if i knew how to make stuff sound this good i'd probably be ready to push it out the door :redneck:

i may have asked this before, but what do you use for composing/tracking your drum tracks?
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

zim wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:43
missing solo and some vocals, etc but 95% there. i have problems with this track but i'm sick of working on it and need to move on. feedback appreciated mabb fam. been going through some heavy shit i'm not ready to talk about yet, trying to distract myself.
go read our feedback and hopefully you'll feel better.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

thanks guys, really means a lot. really struggling to make this stuff happen so getting some positive feedback is motivating. :grim: :xx:
Ostx wrote:
13 May 2021, 22:35
Do you record your vocals with a compressor? I highly recommend it, being one that is a little slow and just doing a little bit of lifting. Like an LA-2A style optical compressor.
It helps a lot in getting a good performance where you might feel you need to push too much. A dynamic mic like an SM7b already helps with that, but still... try it out.
i don't know jack about mixing, i think i have a default compressor on the vocal tracks but it's probably not setup right at all. i need to dedicate some time learning a little. i also promised to get myself a SM7B only if/when i finish all my songs.
jawn galliano wrote:
13 May 2021, 23:16
i may have asked this before, but what do you use for composing/tracking your drum tracks?
using addictive drums 2. not quite as popular as superior drummer and the like which is nice because it's not as recognizable.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Use the compressor while you are recording your vocals.
An LA2A style compressor is super simple to use, just has 2 knobs and use your ears.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

zim wrote:
16 May 2021, 00:45
thanks guys, really means a lot. really struggling to make this stuff happen so getting some positive feedback is motivating. :grim: :xx:
Ostx wrote:
13 May 2021, 22:35
i don't know jack about mixing, i think i have a default compressor on the vocal tracks but it's probably not setup right at all. i need to dedicate some time learning a little. i also promised to get myself a SM7B only if/when i finish all my songs.
jawn galliano wrote:
13 May 2021, 23:16
using addictive drums 2. not quite as popular as superior drummer and the like which is nice because it's not as recognizable.
:interessant:

does it let you create your own patterns/have a piano roll dealie? i have a toontrack drum thingy but as far as i can tell it only lets you use its preset loops which is of no use to me
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

jawn galliano wrote:
16 May 2021, 08:37
does it let you create your own patterns/have a piano roll dealie? i have a toontrack drum thingy but as far as i can tell it only lets you use its preset loops which is of no use to me
the standalone app does let you do that but it's convoluted. using it in the context of a daw (i'm using cubase), it lets you use a drum/piano map to plot everything out.

looks something like this