INSTAGIB Guitar

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
M.Bison
Ancient One

INSTAGIB Guitar

Post by M.Bison »

I've wanted to build an accurate clone of Instagib guitar for ages, but everytime I found a suitable Ironbird on eBay they are going for stupid prices, even if they are absolutely junk models or extremely beat up... So I found a Chinese guitar factory and emailed them back and forth to build me one. They have done a real good job from the photos. The guitar is in shipping right now, so we will see what the quality (or lack of) is like when it gets here :redneck:

If it's a decent enough guitar, I'll install the proper bridge and pickups for more accurate replica :xx:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zim
Zim(a)

Re: INSTAGIB Guitar

Post by zim »

that's awesome but also :redneck: i've read that those aliexpress guitar builders will basically clone anything if you email them which is kind of interesting

i'd fully expect all the hardware/electronics to be absolute garbage but supposedly the bodies/necks can be decent. i've considered ordering a les paul copy and replacing all the parts
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

wow, i didn't know you could do made to order bootlegs like that. interested to hear how the build quality is, keep us posted :idea:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I'm gonna laugh so hard if this turns out to be a miniature replica :redneck: but hope it'll be good
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

:redneck:

you can actually find peoples custom requests being sold if you dig around

i'm not sure who this ironbird belonged to but it's cool https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... -recommend

and this is an erik rutan signature copy
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 3af5Rc3SFp
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

zim wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 10:13
:redneck:

you can actually find peoples custom requests being sold if you dig around

i'm not sure who this ironbird belonged to but it's cool https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... -recommend

and this is an erik rutan signature copy
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 3af5Rc3SFp
I actually know who that first one belongs to ha. Search on Instagram for nameless king. The guitar is an Aunger apparently; a British small time builder. I guess someone cloned it?
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

It arrived. The hardware is indeed absolute garbage, but I didn't expect anything less. Looks wise, it's bang on, doesn't scream Chinese too bad at all. A few sloppy bits, but you have to study to find them. The neck is a bit of a baseball, so I'll see about getting that slimmed down to more of a D shape. Probably give the board some dye. Got the Dimarzio PAF Pro and a rail neck pup already. Need to measure to see if a proper Schaller fits. Overall, I am happy with my AliExpress adventure; for what it is and the money.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Pictures?
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

At work right now, only one I have so far
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

that's kind of awesome. how was the fretwork? sharp on the edges, any high frets, etc?
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

zim wrote:
10 May 2022, 06:27
that's kind of awesome. how was the fretwork? sharp on the edges, any high frets, etc?
The frets are indeed quite sharp on the ends. Playing is kinda scratchy feeling, like if you've ever played a cheap Squier, there is a certain scrapey resistance on bends. The neck is an absolute baseball. My bad for not specifically stating what kind of shape I guess.

I've got around to start giving it some upgrades. New hardware, locking tuners, Dimarzio pickups and Schaller bridge, shaving the neck down, giving the frets some work, oiling the board, rolling the edges Etc. Making it an actual playable and decent guitar, rather than just a gimmick.

(pic is before work)
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

thanks for the update :xx:

i've considered ordering one of their les paul copies and upgrading it
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

M.Bison wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 18:01
New hardware, locking tuners, Dimarzio pickups and Schaller bridge, shaving the neck down, giving the frets some work, oiling the board, rolling the edges Etc.
Not to be snarky, but at that point is it not perhaps cheaper to find a local luthier to build you one with decent fretting, the right bits etc from the ground up rather than have to wrestle this thing into shape...?
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

probably not. a handbuilt guitar is probably going to start north of $1200 to $1500 if you're lucky
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Svartmetall wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 08:19
M.Bison wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 18:01
New hardware, locking tuners, Dimarzio pickups and Schaller bridge, shaving the neck down, giving the frets some work, oiling the board, rolling the edges Etc.
Not to be snarky, but at that point is it not perhaps cheaper to find a local luthier to build you one with decent fretting, the right bits etc from the ground up rather than have to wrestle this thing into shape...?
There's no chance anyone local or national to me could or would want to build this for less than £2-3k minimum. Infact the whole 'local luthier' thing doesn't really exist in the UK or certainly where I am. I'd have to find one of the handfuls of established custom builders in the UK who would be capable. The ONE bloke locally (within my county) I know that's a good luthier is mainly interested in working with folk and classical instruments, doing a handful of like Gibson repairs and stuff. Like I said, the plan was to find an Ironbird to do up, but the prices of them these days are stupid and the 'real deal' BC Rich's are probably just as poor instruments (without work) as this Chinese one. The cost of pickups and bridge etc is way less than any alternative. Plus I can do 95% of the work myself and it's a fun project.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Fair enough then :)
User
Metal God

Post by User »

this is the world we live in :santa:

soon all guitars will be obsolete
more metal
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

User wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 23:15
soon all guitars will be obsolete
Blasphemy! BURN THE HERETIC!
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Just finished this project guitar I've had for a while. It's an RG421 that was super cheap locally. Took the finish off, stained it black and then a light coat of Danish oil. Experimented dyeing the board. It worked okay, a few patchy bits and it stained some of the inlays. Matte black pickguard,
Gotoh bridge, locking tuners, Lundgren Black Heaven pup. Just needs a setup now.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

That looks really nice. The 421s and 7421s are very underrated guitars IMHO - I'm literally sat in my studio as I type this between takes, using my 7421 to record some of my M87 space music...
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Yes, they are good workhorse guitars and fun mod platforms for sure. My first proper guitar was a Korean 7321 and I hacked it up to put an EMG 707 pickup in it. God awful job.