I Burned My Guitar

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
M.Bison
Ancient One

I Burned My Guitar

Post by M.Bison »

Had this Korean RG body for years, in various configurations as a Frankenstein project. It was a RG320qs with a really crappy quilted sapele veneer and a brown paint job. Took the veneer off, sanded it all down and then used a blow torch to char the wood, wire brushed and oiled it.

'Shou Sugi Ban' style apparently. For a piece of crappy basswood, the grain really pops out. I bet this method looks great with mahogany or ash or something.

What y'all think?

Gotoh Trem, EMG's and a Korean RG470 maple board neck going on. I debated dyeing the board and or charring the neck, but I quite like the contrast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: I Burned My Guitar

Post by vO)))id »

That is actually pretty damn cool :idea:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Ostx wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 03:44
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

well if he's going for that look and he's putting in EMGs, it seems like it will be used for a purpose where things like tone wood wouldn't really matter...looks like an straightforward metal axe in the making, eh bison?
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Yeah it's a lower end body made out of 3 pieces of basswood, I can't quite justify some expensive boutique passive pickups to accentuate any tonal quality of the wood, though going EMGs mainly because I already had an 81 laying about, 85 for neck on the way. I originally was gonna put a pickguard over the neck pup hole, but it spoils the rustic look having a big pit of plastic covering 50% of it.

Makes me wanna get a single piece ash body or something now. If you paint it after charring and then use the wire brush, you remove all the top material and leave the paint that's stuck within the raised grain. This can create some cool finishes.
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

zim wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 04:00
Ostx wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 03:44
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

The more I look at the maple, the more I think to leave it alone. Contrast looks gooooood.

All I've done to the neck is sand down the back of it, very sleek feeling now.

The trem is chrome, just because I already have it, at some point I'll get a black one I think. Same with the chrome tuners.

Anyone else got modded guitars or Frankenstein's?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Yeah black hardware will look great.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

:xx:
more metal
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

All wired up. Need to make a backplate to cover electrics. Waiting on some strap locks and black metal knobs. I'll get a black Gotoh Trem for it at some point in the future and move the chrome one onto next project.

Pretty happy with how it turned out looks wise :xx:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Awesome !!
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

:xx:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

metal AF
more metal
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

yeah that looks awesome, the body contrasts really well with the neck. a black bridge would kick it up a notch too
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

:santa: thanks guys, this was fun to do. Deffo something I'd try again, maybe add some paint next time too
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Looking nice :)
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Picked up this cheap Squier for £130, the hard-on bearer had put in SD Distortion and Jazz pickups, so essentially I bought some pickups and got a free guitar to mess around with.

Before and after. Blowtorched, painted white and sanded back. Body has a thin lacquer to protect the paint. Neck awaiting a decal and then will get the same. Also missing a string tree for now as I only had one.

Upgraded the bridge, installed locking tuners, sanded the back of the neck down, wired it up with a SDPT acting as a killswitch. Very raw. Setup for Drop B.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

head dirt wrote:
03 May 2021, 06:28
Nice :xx:

How does it sound?
Yeah the SD distortion pickup is quite good. With the upgraded hardware, it's not a bad guitar at all. Dunno what kind of wood it's made out of, but it's quite resonant. Sounds raw and woody. The trem is clamped right down and blocked off with some coins right now. Maybe I will cut some wood and shove it in the gap at some point, I'm sure the placebo of that will make it sound even better ha.

Again, I had to watch out when blowtorching it, with it being a cheaper guitar and a 4-piece body glued together. It definitely wanted to separate itself. You can see the join lines, but the paint and lacquer helps disguise that.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Built a pedalboard from kids old bed slats

...burned that too :redneck:

Second coat of oil drying. Waiting on some pedal tape (which will cover the holes)
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Creative :xx:
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

#Daddy, why did you burn my bed
I was in it at the time
And so I fled#

vO)))id