ordered a fractal FM3

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

ordered a fractal FM3

Post by jawn galliano »

no idea why (aside from substituting food with beer for most of the day yesterday)

i am excited
zim
Zim(a)

Re: ordered a fractal FM3

Post by zim »

MY MAN

welcome to the fractal club. i have a fractal axe fx ii xl+ and have used it almost daily for 3 years. don't get discouraged if at first you don't like it, they have a learning curve. there are lots of videos on youtube that cover how to get the best tones
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah i get the impression that it's probably going to require a major time investment to get the most out of it. i've been very impressed with all of the demos and whatnot i've watched on YT. it will be nice to finally have something good for recording guitar/bass.

i dunno why but i always assumed fractal was from sweden or something, turns out they're based an hour away from me :redneck:

they need to hurry the fuck up and ship my dang unit though :waa:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i remember being upset for like a week because i couldn't get a good death metal distortion sound. had to watch a handful of tutorials but now it's awesome. you can also download other peoples patches. the desktop editing software is nice too.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

which amp models do you gravitate towards? got a few i've got in mind just from dicking around in gear stores over the years, but i am prepared to be completely overwhelemed
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

jawn galliano wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 12:48
which amp models do you gravitate towards? got a few i've got in mind just from dicking around in gear stores over the years, but i am prepared to be completely overwhelemed
the options are incredibly overwhelming, you could spend forever building patches and that's half the fun of these things. i desperately need to get an expression pedal so i can use a bunch of other features. you can do crazy shit like map any setting to an expression pedal. fredrik thordendal used to map the feedback/time setting for his delay effect to an expression pedal and got some bizarre sounds with that.

i'll post the specifics when i get off my ass but i ended up using the equivalent of a mesa boogie rectifier / mesa 4x4 cab with a modded tube screamer. its kind of made me actually want to get the real thing, maybe one day.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

hell yeah, mesas are definitely at the top of my list :xx: that was my dream amp when i was in high school. i used to drive an hour out to natick just to fuck around on the dual rectos at guitar center :redneck:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

basically with modeler, you're safe with any recto/5150/ENGL Powerball-based amp model with a 4x4 cab and some form of boost in front
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

just got my tracking number, hurry up and load this bitch on the truck :hate:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

whoops they dropped it :oldryan:
more metal
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I'm getting a JCM 800 2203 instead that will melt your face off. :grin:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

jawn galliano wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 13:52
hell yeah, mesas are definitely at the top of my list :xx: that was my dream amp when i was in high school. i used to drive an hour out to natick just to fuck around on the dual rectos at guitar center :redneck:
The mesa boogie that I really like is the Mark 4.
Unfortunately, fucking expensive.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

delivery day today :thingy: scamazon better come through with my XLR dealies
Ostx wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:44
yeah ive always wanted a real tube amp, just never lived in a place where i could actually own one and its increasingly unlikely that will ever happen. this is the only viable alternative, and the fact that i can use it as a DI for recording is a huge bonus
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

jawn galliano wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 18:48
delivery day today :thingy: scamazon better come through with my XLR dealies
Ostx wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:44
yeah ive always wanted a real tube amp, just never lived in a place where i could actually own one and its increasingly unlikely that will ever happen. this is the only viable alternative, and the fact that i can use it as a DI for recording is a huge bonus
this is more or less why bit the bullet and bought an axe fx. great for apartment jamming and recording. also great for playing live (you know for people who do that 🥲)
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I love the sound of real amps and don't like the sound of the axe fx etc.

Getting a Suhr loadbox for the JCM that solves the volume thing and cab+mic thing.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

got it just before my lunch break :ba:

still waiting on my XLR cables to show up so i can plug this into something that isn't headphones :homework:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

ok, finally got all the extra cabling i needed in and i've been dialing stuff in on FM3edit this afternoon. been using a mesa mkIIc as my base and holy shit what a difference tweaking stuff off the factory presets makes. thing sounds absolutely incredible, i am seriously blown away
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Ostx wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 23:46
I love the sound of real amps and don't like the sound of the axe fx etc.

Getting a Suhr loadbox for the JCM that solves the volume thing and cab+mic thing.
Try the Marshall DSL1HR head - it's a 1-watt all-valve head that just sounds fantastic, and does so at reasonably sensible volumes (although it's surprising just how loud even 1 watt of valve power is). It really has that articulate, expressive midrange snarl that - to my ears - only Marshalls get quite right (purely IMHO, obviously). To me it's an absolute gem of an amp.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

not quite the same, but i did futz around with one of those blackstar low-watt tube amps years ago, and i was thoroughly impressed with the tone/volume given the meager-sounding paper specs. that form factor seemed to proliferate quite a bit in the early/mid-2010s, i dunno if the fad has passed or not but it's probably the one class of real deal tube amp i could realistically wind up buying. i had actually been toying with the idea of one of the mini orange amps for years.

the question for me was basically, do i want one killer small tube amp, or something like the FM3 that has several dozen good-enough amp sims + solid multifx + recording connectivity. i'm missing basically all three of those things where guitar is concerned so it was kind of a no-brainer.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Fair enough; I have a huge rack of multi-FX and dedicated reverbs etc (and a Marshall JMP-1 valve preamp) so I figured I had that side of things covered. I've assembled a PC for recording and have a 4-input Tascam interface; it's got Studio One 3 Artist installed and at some point I really need to sit down and work out how to use that software (all my previous work had been tape-based so I'm a total noob at PC recording).
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i honestly really dislike the DAW approach for recording, but it's pretty much the only game in town these days. i've been using reaper which is extremely powerful, but i wind up investing so much energy into trying to learn how to do stuff in it that it just saps away any energy i have for doing the actual recording part :redneck:
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

fractal :xx:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

god damn right :xx:

current main patch i'm playing with is a mesa mkIV. i plugged a drive pedal in before the amp block and cranked the gain into the stratosphere on both, it is obscenely oversaturated and excessive and it sustains forever which is not something my rg570 ordinarily excels at. just need to figure out how to make it sound like a continent-sized mountain landing on your house forever and i'll be fucking golden.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

not sure if it's still accessible but i believe i uploaded a bunch of ownhammer IRs in some thread here before
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

fractals are those things that get smaller and are the same or something
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

when did you become a math major
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards