New piece: Devoid - 'The Black Chamber'

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Svartmetall

New piece: Devoid - 'The Black Chamber'

Post by Svartmetall »

A new slab of dark soundscape for you...as always with me, everything you hear is guitar and bass.

Svartmetall

Re: New piece: Devoid - 'The Black Chamber'

Post by Svartmetall »

I'm curious to hear any reactions, by the way, since I'm really starting to get back into recording music now...especially since I understand this isn't exactly normal music :alien:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I think it's great that you are only using guitar and bass and trying to push their limits.

I have Cryo Chamber playing on the background almost every day and the artists on their label are amazing, so definitely a fan of such atmospheric pieces.

This could fit right in there. It builds up extremely slowly over time, which is fine with this style but perhaps you gave away a little too much in the beginning, instrumentation-wise and arrangement-wise. Starting off with even less and building up to more or vice versa might be nice to experiment with.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Thanks for the feedback :) My synaesthesia means I see all pieces of music as a shape, with texture; this just seemed to be the appropriate shape for the atmosphere I wanted in this case (I know that probably sounds very vague, but I don't know any other way to express it I'm afraid); it was also as close to an actual bell sound as I could get a guitar to produce.

More horrible noises will be appearing in due course...
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Sounds great. I love messing around with stuff like that. What kind of effects and techniques are you using to do this?

A fun patch I have on rack FX is a 100% wet reverb pitch shifted down a ton, you pretty much lose the 'note' and you can't play normally of course, but it gives you some very atmospheric rumbling and cool swells with vol knob or pedal. I've got an OBNE Dark Star pedal that is quite crazy for this thing too.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

I love Frankensteining rack gear together to create sounds, so I've been a collector of rack stuff for a while...the bell sound, for example, came from putting a prepared guitar (in this case, an IBanez RG7421) through a Digitech GSP2101 preamp into a DIgitech Studio 400 multi-effects (a criminally underrated unit, IMO) for most of the sonic fuckery and then the result going through a TC Electronic M3000 reverb (which is just a fantastic sounding reverb unit).

I recently got a TC Electronic Fireworx multi-effects, so at some ppoint I need to sit down with that and really work out what it can do as it has some very interesting stuff on there.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

very cool :grim:
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Thank you :)
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Make some videos exploring your signal chains and patches? That would be interesting.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

I've just picked up two cool old rack units.
Yamaha SPX900 and a Lexicon MPX1 :xx: it's cool how cheap you can find this stuff compared to modern gear, like Axe-FX for example, even 2nd hand older models are commanding big prices.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Cool - how's the MPX1's reverb, and - technical Q - what's the longest reverb decay time you can get out of it?

I picked up an absolutely mint Digitech GSP7 last week...I love early DIgitech stuff, their gear always had a nice organic sound to my ears unlike a lot of early gloryhole era rack stuff which was clinical as hell. Currently from DIgitech I have a GSP7 preamp/multi FX, a GFX1 'Twin Tube' preamp/FX (rare as hell over here), a DSP 256XL reverb, a TSR-24S multi FX, a GSP 2101 preamp/multi FX and the mighty Studio 400 mutli FX.
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

I like it
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

deckard wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 04:56
I like it
Thanks - two new ones up on the channel now :)