Page 1 of 1

Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 17:52
by Those Insane Gods
Anyone else attending this 3 day event?



<!-- m -->http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/criti ... -politics/<!-- m -->


Welcome to Heavy Fundametalism: Music, Metal and Politics project homepage. The project seeks to explore the growing critical interest in the music and culture of heavy metal. The project aims to examine, critique and bang heads on what this long standing movement is about, where it is going and what it has to offer, politically socially and philosophically. Characterised by extremes, it is a music movement that has a range of lifestyles attached to it, comprising of quite disparate and radically different views amongst both fans and its progenitors. Recent publications such as Bill Irwin’s edited Metallica and Philosophy: A Crash Course in Brain Surgery (2007), documentary films and past texts such as Deena Weinstein’s 1991 Sociological study Heavy Metal The Music and its Culture an Keith Kahn Harriss’ Metal Studies indicate a continuous, serious interest in Heavy Metal.



The project will critically engage with a number of core themes relating to heavy metal and



Politics and the Political. The apolitical; Nationalism; Fascism

Imagery and Iconography; Aesthetics

Art: Performance; Design; stage; album

Misogyny, Homo sociality; gender issues; masculinities

Subculture; Underground; Popular Culture

Religion/anti religion/ evil/ satanism

Philosophical themes: Existentialism; Nihilism; Hedonism; Ethics

Literature- horror, gothic

Fashion

Related themes will also be identified for development and exploration. Out of our deliberations it is anticipated that a series of related projects will develop with an open door for other associated manifestations of the relevant themes.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 18:03
by Drum Solo
This sounds about as unnecessary as a 4 year degree in communications.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 18:10
by Those Insane Gods
Then it's right up your alley! :redneck:



I'm going to be in Prague anyway and I'm actually looking forward to it. I have no idea who the people speaking are but I'm sure it'll be fun. Good opportunity to expand my library of Metal related books and articles.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 18:16
by Drum Solo
I'm sure it'll be a fantastic symposium that finally tackles the issue of how and why metal got to be so pointlessly nerdy and self-referential.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 18:31
by Those Insane Gods
[quote name="Drum Solo"]I'm sure it'll be a fantastic symposium that finally tackles the issue of how and why metal got to be so pointlessly nerdy and self-referential.[/quote]



And why so many metal fans in cases like these use irony in an attempt to place themselves above a culture they in reality have the lowest and most insignificant position in. :gay:

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 18:39
by Verbal
what a pile of wank

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 18:41
by Those Insane Gods
[quote name="Verbal"]what a pile of wank[/quote]



9337

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 18:44
by Drum Solo
[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]
[quote name="Drum Solo"]I'm sure it'll be a fantastic symposium that finally tackles the issue of how and why metal got to be so pointlessly nerdy and self-referential.[/quote]



And why so many metal fans in cases like these use irony in an attempt to place themselves above a culture they in reality have the lowest and most insignificant position in. :gay:[/quote]



I actually wouldn't put it past you guys to go that far, as if internet forums and concerts weren't already more than enough to get your fill of the metal community. In fact it's probably even more impractical than it is pointless, which says something.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 19:00
by Those Insane Gods
"you guys"... Since when does the act of attending an event equal being an advocate of it? I might not get anything out of it, but that will be my loss right? No reason for all this bile.



I feel kinda sorry for you to be honest. Don't take this as a personal attack. It's just sad whenever someone succumbs to negativity like that. I hope you find the strength you need to confront whatever personal problems you have.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 19:10
by Drum Solo
Well, for one thing you're posting about it and attending it, so I'm left to assume that you are at least in support of it.



And there's no bile. I just think it's a waste of time.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 19:16
by Those Insane Gods
I'm as I said going to be in Prague at the time of the event and my girlfriend suggested that could check it out. Maybe write a short article on it or something. Just for the fun of it. I always try to keep an open mind and be open to new experiences. No one is forcing us to stay if it proves to be "pointless and insignificant" anyway.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 19:18
by Those Insane Gods
Just like no one is forcing you to waste your time spreading negative remarks in threads on message boards. But that obviously holds some significance for you and I can only wonder why.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 19:20
by Drum Solo
[quote name="Drum Solo"]And there's no bile. I just think it's a waste of time.[/quote]

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 22 May 2011, 21:53
by Mesarthim
this sounds very interesting. :santa:

and Drum Solo, get over yourself.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 23 May 2011, 11:04
by jawn galliano
[quote name="Verbal"]what a pile of wank[/quote]



i bet you just saw 'interdisciplinary' in the web address and immediately posted that :redneck:

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 23 May 2011, 16:51
by RitesOfPossession
The website looks like the work of Christians...



Could be interesting though, make sure you report back afterwards.

Re: Heavy Fundametalisms: Music, Metal and Politics

Posted: 23 May 2011, 17:06
by Verbal
[quote name="Derek Waters"]
[quote name="Verbal"]what a pile of wank[/quote]



i bet you just saw 'interdisciplinary' in the web address and immediately posted that :redneck:[/quote]



am i wrong?