Page 1 of 1

Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 01:47
by Tea
So I'm under the impression that most metalheads aren't into electronic, but maybe some people here can prove me wrong :santa: Personally I love electronic as much as metal, it's tied between metal and electronic as my favourite musical genres. My only gripe with electronic is that in a lot of cases, it takes about 30 seconds to 2 minutes for a song to properly start.



I'll showcase some examples of some of my favourite songs from my 3 favourite sub-genres, and hopefully others can do the same :idea:



Psytrance

[youtube]pUsgzOSMsLI[/youtube]



Drum n bass

[youtube]JKD1YEDqU3M[/youtube]



Undefined (way too hard to put this band into one sub-genre, they're all over the place (also you'll probably find this really really annoying :thingy: )

[youtube]IEc3PVCdndg[/youtube]



... :blush:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 01:49
by ^_____________^
[youtube]ZbbUv1hz6mE[/youtube]



The Metroid series has the best music out of any video game series ever made.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 01:54
by vega
[youtube]jElCPYN1fu4[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 01:55
by Tea
And here's more chilled out stuff (compared to the more energetic stuff I first posted)



[youtube]PdTbgx5ZXSk[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 01:58
by vega
[youtube]qbGMMAdxgrI[/youtube]



dont like much the techno stuffs perhaps very few like this...

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 02:05
by Grudge
I just made this thread a short while ago



<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10927">viewto ... t=10927</a><!-- l -->

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 02:11
by jawn galliano
yeah i enjoy me lots of electronic stuffos. aphex twin, venetian snares, kraftwerk, clark, tim hecker(!!!!), tangerine dream are my favorites, off the top of my head.



[quote name="themicrulah"][youtube]ZbbUv1hz6mE[/youtube]



The Metroid series has the best music out of any video game series ever made.[/quote]



nah, not even close. however, metroid prime did have a phenomenal soundtrack, probably the best in the series.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 02:44
by ^_____________^
:tear:



The music for Super Metroid seriously makes my soul weep.



[youtube]Ha3OZXOs9d0[/youtube]



What's your favorite VGM Derek?

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 02:49
by Uni777
Does Massive Attack classify as electronic music?

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 02:52
by zim
i like some electronic music, i've even made a few clips



<!-- m -->http://soundcloud.com/cts<!-- m -->

Break & Wip1 are my electronic tracks

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 03:04
by jawn galliano
[quote name="themicrulah"]What's your favorite VGM Derek?[/quote]



well, to begin with the obvious, every entry in the main final fantasy series up through 12 rates from good to great, 13 was quite uneven though; stylistically it seemed like a departure from masashi hamauzu's other soundtracks that i'd heard in the past, and there was too much pop-vocal garbage and fluff to get into it. FF tactics also deserves mention, it's easily one of my all-time favorites as far as VGM goes -- most of the games hitoshi sakimoto composed for (that i've listened to, anyway) had phenomenal soundtracks though, FF12, tactics ogre, vagrant story and so-forth.



yasunori mitsuda's also one of the greats -- he did a large chunk of chrono trigger, all of chrono cross, and xenogears. most importantly though, he also scored xenosaga episode 1, which is probably hands down the best VG soundtrack ever recorded. you'd hardly know it from playing the game though, as most of the really good material was criminally under-used.



michiru yamane's castlevania contributions also range from good to great, symphony of the night being the best, of course. i don't know if the composers for CV1/2/3/4 are credited, but those were all fantastic as well.



akira yamaoka for silent hill 2 alone, that shit is straight up genius.



i could go on for hours on this subject :redneck:



[quote name="uni777"]Does Massive Attack classify as electronic music?[/quote]



yeah i'd probably group them in with electronic, it's a pretty broad term so i think it could easily encapsulate the kind of stuff MA does.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 03:10
by baron von blondle
[quote name="uni777"]Does Massive Attack classify as electronic music?[/quote]



I'd say yes



I love this album....



[youtube]uKTcJqkfzNU[/youtube]



[youtube]ttcwcaALXZw[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 03:39
by ^_____________^
[quote name="Derek Waters"]
[quote name="themicrulah"]What's your favorite VGM Derek?[/quote]



well, to begin with the obvious, every entry in the main final fantasy series up through 12 rates from good to great, 13 was quite uneven though; stylistically it seemed like a departure from masashi hamauzu's other soundtracks that i'd heard in the past, and there was too much pop-vocal garbage and fluff to get into it. FF tactics also deserves mention, it's easily one of my all-time favorites as far as VGM goes -- most of the games hitoshi sakimoto composed for (that i've listened to, anyway) had phenomenal soundtracks though, FF12, tactics ogre, vagrant story and so-forth.



yasunori mitsuda's also one of the greats -- he did a large chunk of chrono trigger, all of chrono cross, and xenogears. most importantly though, he also scored xenosaga episode 1, which is probably hands down the best VG soundtrack ever recorded. you'd hardly know it from playing the game though, as most of the really good material was criminally under-used.



michiru yamane's castlevania contributions also range from good to great, symphony of the night being the best, of course. i don't know if the composers for CV1/2/3/4 are credited, but those were all fantastic as well.



akira yamaoka for silent hill 2 alone, that shit is straight up genius.



i could go on for hours on this subject :redneck:[/quote]



I have a SOTN rom on my Xbox, I need to finish that playthrough :bang:



Dawn of Sorrow was really good. I haven't played any of the other Castlevanias all the way through :homework:



I've heard a lot about Xenogears but I've never played it. Same with Chrono Trigger, I tried to get a rom of it on my DSTT cart but it refused to work, and I've never gotten around to playing the SNES version either. I've heard some OC ReMiX tracks of that game though, and I've liked what I've heard. :judge:



Did you like the music in FFVII:AC? I remember when that movie came out I watched it without ever playing FFVII, and I thought it was cool, and the music too, but I'm interested to hear your opinion. :gay:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 03:54
by Tea
[quote name="baron von blondle"]
[quote name="uni777"]Does Massive Attack classify as electronic music?[/quote]



I'd say yes



I love this album....



[youtube]uKTcJqkfzNU[/youtube]



[youtube]ttcwcaALXZw[/youtube][/quote]



This I very much so enjoyed :idea:



Some more electronic tunes I really enjoy



Dark psytrance ( :xx:::: )

[youtube]ZAcMm6NDP_s[/youtube]



Some house music (excuse the stupid song title)

[youtube]eo6Y5agGM_4[/youtube]



Techno (female voices in electronic music... :jizz: )

[youtube]5HNtsdtnBfk[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 04:06
by rhino
[quote name="carpet_salesman"][youtube]jElCPYN1fu4[/youtube][/quote]





ha wwhhhaaaaaaaaa?



this is the first time i heard this :oldryan:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 04:10
by Those Insane Gods
Big fan and collector of electronic music here. Pretty much every sub-genre. I'm currently listening to early EBM like Front 242 and Skinny Puppy and loads of 2001-04 era Minimal Progressive Trance. Stuff like Auricular, Shiva Chandra, Cujorius One, Tenka, Yumade, Paps etc. Dark and oppressive stuff.



I did two amateur interviews with Peter Candy from Koxbox and Bjørn from Cujorius One/Tenka not too long ago. Check em out:



<!-- m -->http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php ... orius-one/<!-- m -->



<!-- m -->http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php ... of-koxbox/<!-- m -->

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 04:12
by Those Insane Gods
Auricular - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG-7H--Qt7c<!-- m -->



Shiva Chandra - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Atp6SNLOU<!-- m -->



Paps - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WyIlYKr-w<!-- m -->



Krumelur - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWOyHkNSYEw<!-- m -->





:thingy:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 04:13
by jawn galliano
[quote name="themicrulah"]I have a SOTN rom on my Xbox, I need to finish that playthrough :bang:



Dawn of Sorrow was really good. I haven't played any of the other Castlevanias all the way through :homework:



I've heard a lot about Xenogears but I've never played it. Same with Chrono Trigger, I tried to get a rom of it on my DSTT cart but it refused to work, and I've never gotten around to playing the SNES version either. I've heard some OC ReMiX tracks of that game though, and I've liked what I've heard. :judge:



Did you like the music in FFVII:AC? I remember when that movie came out I watched it without ever playing FFVII, and I thought it was cool, and the music too, but I'm interested to hear your opinion. :gay:[/quote]



xenogears is great, one of my all-time favorites, although it hasn't aged very well. the graphics are rather hideous by today's standards, and the translation is a bit rough, but despite some iffy execution in that regard the plot was light-years ahead of its peers. CT is pretty good as well but on the whole i think i preferred chrono cross (very few people would agree with that, for whatever that's worth).



yeah i liked a lot of the music in AC, but i really, really dislike the rock/heavy metal treatment of one-winged angel. of course, most of the tracks i can remember from that soundtrack were basically ripped straight from the game OST with better instrumentation/new arrangements and whatnot, but there's certainly a bunch of originals on there that came out quite well.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 04:37
by Tea
[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]Auricular - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG-7H--Qt7c<!-- m -->



Shiva Chandra - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Atp6SNLOU<!-- m -->



[/quote]



Are these artists German? I mainly listen to British and Russian psytrance, been meaning to check out the scene in Holland and Germany... these 2 tracks are pretty effin' :xx:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 05:21
by vO)))id
I love so much electronic music, I'm not going to post all that stuff.

But Subsurfing - Frozen Ants... :idea:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 08:05
by FUKKET
Amon Tobin

Venetian Snares

SquarePusher

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 10:38
by Abzu
Boards of Canada

Amon Tobin

Autechre

Massive Attack

Front 242

Skinny Puppy

Velvet Acid Christ

Leaether Strip

Kraftwerk

SquarePusher

some others I cannot immediately recall

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 11:32
by shadowalk
A lot of MABBers are big NIN fans (proud to say I'm one of them) so that's one.



Other than that, I like me a lot of gloryhole era Euro-dance/techno/trance stuff including ATB, Paul Van Dyk, Orbital, Underworld, Junkie XL, Gouryella, Mauro Picotto and other stuf like that.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 13:25
by Mesarthim
I like me some electronic music. i'm more of a fan of the more relaxing types though, not so much the extreme hardcore gabber type stuff. Venetian Snares being the exception of course.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 14:53
by Those Insane Gods
[quote name="Flittermice"]
[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]Auricular - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG-7H--Qt7c<!-- m -->



Shiva Chandra - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Atp6SNLOU<!-- m -->



[/quote]



Are these artists German? I mainly listen to British and Russian psytrance, been meaning to check out the scene in Holland and Germany... these 2 tracks are pretty effin' :xx:[/quote]



From Hamburg yes. It's the same hard-on bearer under two different names.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 14:56
by Those Insane Gods
Haldolium's first album Deagua is also a Hamburg Psy classic.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 19:35
by Abzu
I forgot NIN. While I'm at it, I also forgot VNV Nation, Ministry, Pigface, Orbital and Laibach.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 20:52
by Gmajnar
WhereTheSlimeLives - that's 4 GREAT artists/songs you've mentioned - Auricular, Paps, Shiva Chandra and Krumelur! I love psytrance :redneck:

And also congrats on the KOXBOX interview - his first two albums Forever After and especially Dragontales are so full of fun and imagination it makes me smile every time I listen to them. Psyhodelic :redneck:



Haldolium are great to! And I totally enjoy another german psy-trance artists, the mighty X-DREAM!

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 26 May 2011, 21:02
by Drum Solo
I don't know much of anything about the genre, and maybe this is more ambient anyway, but if Tangerine Dream count then why not Klaus Schulze:



[youtube]0vtE7--vetE[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 03:43
by deckard
global communication

fluke

rob dougan

tom middleton

aphex twin

boards of canada

reload

orbital

lamb

massive attack

ulver



fuck yeah :xx:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 10:12
by Redd
A lot of this stuff is very different from the kind of electronic I listen to. Gonna have quite a bit of list of new stuff to check out.



Anyway, some of the stuff I like:

[youtube]S6fVhYTRVp8[/youtube]

[youtube]eRafAZ4r6jM[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 10:22
by Noyka
[youtube]81WTpKtSUT8[/youtube]



Collide - Euphoria



More electronic/rock but still awesome

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 13:51
by Tyreese BIGGUMS
bt's "this binary universe" is fucking awesome.



not sure how much of this really classifies as "electronic" but...



astral projection

shpongle

hallucinogen

younger brother (yes, I'm a big fan of simon posford's work...)

ott

excision

bassnectar

deadmau5

aphex twin

tangerine dream

the knife



are among some of my favorites.

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 13:59
by Tea
I'm surprised I'm the only person to have mentioned Crystal Castles :santa:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 15:14
by shadowalk
[quote name="Flittermice"][youtube]5HNtsdtnBfk[/youtube][/quote]

Now that we're talking Orbital, it's time to post their best work

[youtube]ioeutEu1_8s[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 22:52
by deckard
this is also a good version of halcyon



[youtube]Ek4ekh_a-wc[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 23:04
by shadowalk
I actually enjoyed that. That remix made good use of Halcyon's dragging parts at the end. Thanks for posting. :santa:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 23:06
by deckard
:edits:



tom middleton is one half of global communication, they are excellent.



[youtube]lU8o9AcBkfc[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 23:13
by Mr. P
[youtube]3QVrhetXl0s[/youtube]



Who remembers this?

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 30 May 2011, 23:17
by shadowalk
One of my favorite electronic tunes.

[youtube]eBw4P7o0yuo[/youtube]

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 31 May 2011, 01:07
by Abzu
[quote name="Toozey"]this is also a good version of halcyon



[youtube]Ek4ekh_a-wc[/youtube][/quote]

:xx: I loved that!

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 31 May 2011, 01:08
by Abzu
:page00000010:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 31 May 2011, 01:34
by ANGEL OF DESEASE
I jammed some KRAFTWERK (ger) , ROCKETS (france) from the 70's :greenie:

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 31 May 2011, 02:41
by Grudge
[quote name="i am extreme <!-- s][youtube]jElCPYN1fu4[/youtube][/quote]





PROPS BRO

Re: Electronic music?

Posted: 31 May 2011, 03:08
by ANGEL OF DESEASE
TECNHO Morbid angel :oldryan: