Page 1 of 1

Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 03:00
by LAVAGOD
We all know Pete has claimed himself the founder of the blast, yet many people believe Napalm Death was the first band. I read somewhere that Scum has the first recorded blast's (side B was recorded in 1986). There's many mixed opinions and variations of stories we've all heard. But who actually did it first? I would love to hear the first beat ever blasted that started it all :santa:

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 03:15
by Anjel
It depends on what you consider blastbeats.

IMO Pete was the first one who did it tightly enough, Scum is just really sloppy.



Also:

[youtube]vZimqldbf7w[/youtube]

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 03:17
by Hugo.
Yeah, buddy rich. But its generally a toss up between pete and rat, the original napalm death drummer.

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 03:19
by Devy
[quote name="Skinoperable"]some jazz drummer[/quote]



This is what I always assumed too.

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 03:20
by Hugo.
A more pressing question is: who over-uses the fuck out of it?

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 03:21
by Hugo.
Buddy Rich also invented the gravity roll.

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 03:28
by jawn galliano
buddy rich was far too badass for his own good

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 03:40
by Hugo.
Actually, the worst are that new breed of 'token' blasters. As in "oh people will know we're trying to be N'sync with guitars if we dont have a blasting section here."



*followed by breakdown*

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 03:45
by Hugo.
Ive whittled my tendancy to do that down to about 50% of the time :redneck:



BUT I'M DROP A NOW, SO ITS COOL RIGHT?

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 04:01
by Hugo.
About 80% of my riffs span 3 strings. Its kind of a novelty then when you chug out something simple. I always used to play in standard, I have to say I like the dynamic of the drop low E.

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 04:06
by Devy
[quote name="Hugo"]About 80% of my riffs span 3 strings. Its kind of a novelty then when you chug out something simple. I always used to play in standard, I have to say I like the dynamic of the drop low E.[/quote]



If you're ever feeling saucy, you should try an open tuning. I've got one of my guitars in Open C and it's stupidly fun.

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 04:08
by zim
i had some good jams last night :bang:

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 05:36
by Olden Polynice
Was the Zepplin drummer really the first to use double kicks?

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 10:32
by FUKKET
[quote name="Devy"]
[quote name="Skinoperable"]some jazz drummer[/quote]



This is what I always assumed too.[/quote]





as everyone has said, Buddy Rich.

Elvin Jones also did some on some recordings i've got from the 50s. Mostly in during solos.



But as folks said, it's like asking "who invented tapping?"

some dude in the 16 Century on his 10 string acoustic, wearing a wig.

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 10:33
by FUKKET
[quote name="mabb_"]Was the Zepplin drummer really the first to use double kicks?[/quote]



Ginger Baker maybe.

I'm sure I've seen pics form really early 60s of drummer with 2x kicks.

around the area when the 'power-trio' thing was coming into existence.

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 10:34
by FUKKET
[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="mabb_"]Was the Zepplin drummer really the first to use double kicks?[/quote]



Ginger Baker maybe.

I'm sure I've seen pics form really early 60s of drummer with 2x kicks.

around the area when the 'power-trio' thing was coming into existence.[/quote]



wait, i'm sure i've seen a pic from 50s, of a jazz dude with 2x.

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Posted: 10 Feb 2012, 10:35
by FUKKET
Tony Williams possibly - but maybe that was early 70s (when fusion came along)