Page 1 of 1
swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 00:42
by captainshanks
Old school sludge or melodic?
which do you prefer for me its old school stockholm autopsy worshiping sludge every time.
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 01:21
by Anjel
Neither. I like the American bands more.
If I really have to to pick I would pick the melodic ones. Even though I'm not a huge fan.
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 02:22
by Spirits of the Deep Waters
For the typical "swedish" sound, I say ENTOMBED all the way. Apart from that, this is what Swedish Death Metal is all about:
[youtube]dJmXVzQgpYg[/youtube]
LIERS IN WAIT from gothenburg. They totally avoided the stockholm-sunlight sound and took off in the direction of Morbid Angel and Necrovore with their twisted timings and complex arrangement. The gothenburg bands were always more into the american stuff (I'm talking expecially about Liers in Wait, Grotesque and Luciferion) wich is pretty funny because thats pretty much the case still today.
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 02:40
by Devy
I've said it several times before on this board, but In Flames pretty much got me into death metal. Bands like them, Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquility will always have a place in my happybox
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 02:47
by Meat Engine
The Crown

They don't really fit either description. I say toss both of them out of the gay man's telescope.
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 03:48
by Anjel
In Flames got me into extreme metal as well. I still like their older stuff (even though the new stuff is

).
And the first band I think of when hearing Swedish death metal is Entombed. They have that typical Swedish sound indeed. Dismember is another band that comes to mind.
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 04:18
by rhino
[youtube]4BQGcxtna0M[/youtube]
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 04:23
by captainshanks
I love the new wave of bands doing the old school swedish sound.
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 04:28
by rhino

bloodbath

Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 04:51
by Uni777
You sir are in the know.
Liers in wait is fucking awesome.
I have the EP but there is a unreleased album somewhere.
[quote name="Maze"]For the typical "swedish" sound, I say ENTOMBED all the way. Apart from that, this is what Swedish Death Metal is all about:
[youtube]dJmXVzQgpYg[/youtube]
LIERS IN WAIT from gothenburg. They totally avoided the stockholm-sunlight sound and took off in the direction of Morbid Angel and Necrovore with their twisted timings and complex arrangement. The gothenburg bands were always more into the american stuff (I'm talking expecially about Liers in Wait, Grotesque and Luciferion) wich is pretty funny because thats pretty much the case still today.[/quote]
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 05:55
by djonni greazo
when people say "swedish death metal" it is implied that they mean "swenska dods metal" from stockholm (i.e. the entombed/dismember/sunlight sound) and not the "gothenburg melodeath" scene since that's rarely regarded as being "death metal" at all. and i agree 100% with that even though, like the devster, my introduction to the harsher spectrum of the metal came through the gothenburg melodeath scene (specifically, in flames and dark tranquility)
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 06:07
by Meat Engine
The sound got a bit muddled a few years ago for me. I liked Grave when they sounded like Grave. I don't need them to try to sound like Vomitory, because I still have Vomitory. Some bands exceed expectations. Who would have though Amon Amarth could have released the best albums of their career well into it?

Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 11:16
by Spirits of the Deep Waters
[quote name="uni777"]You sir are in the know.
Liers in wait is fucking awesome.
I have the EP but there is a unreleased album somewhere.
[quote name="Maze"]For the typical "swedish" sound, I say ENTOMBED all the way. Apart from that, this is what Swedish Death Metal is all about:
[youtube]dJmXVzQgpYg[/youtube]
LIERS IN WAIT from gothenburg. They totally avoided the stockholm-sunlight sound and took off in the direction of Morbid Angel and Necrovore with their twisted timings and complex arrangement. The gothenburg bands were always more into the american stuff (I'm talking expecially about Liers in Wait, Grotesque and Luciferion) wich is pretty funny because thats pretty much the case still today.[/quote][/quote]
Yeah, I don't know if the full lenght was ever recorded though. I've only heard 2 songs live on youtube. Too bad they never recorded something else
How could you Gothenburg-Melodeathlovers forget about At the Gates? Not that I am a big fan myself, but they kind of created the whole thing.
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 11:16
by Spirits of the Deep Waters
[quote name="uni777"]You sir are in the know.
Liers in wait is fucking awesome.
I have the EP but there is a unreleased album somewhere.
[quote name="Maze"]For the typical "swedish" sound, I say ENTOMBED all the way. Apart from that, this is what Swedish Death Metal is all about:
[youtube]dJmXVzQgpYg[/youtube]
LIERS IN WAIT from gothenburg. They totally avoided the stockholm-sunlight sound and took off in the direction of Morbid Angel and Necrovore with their twisted timings and complex arrangement. The gothenburg bands were always more into the american stuff (I'm talking expecially about Liers in Wait, Grotesque and Luciferion) wich is pretty funny because thats pretty much the case still today.[/quote][/quote]
Yeah, I don't know if the full lenght was ever recorded though. I've only heard 2 songs live on youtube. Too bad they never recorded something else
How could you Gothenburg-Melodeathlovers forget about At the Gates? Not that I am a big fan myself, but they kind of created the whole thing.
Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 13:18
by painfulloss
[quote name="rhino"][youtube]4BQGcxtna0M[/youtube][/quote]
You, Sir, WIN. Desultory's "Into Eternity" is pretty much perfection. Razor-sharp, vicious, melodic & underrated. It made my day seeing you mention them via Youtube. Great riffing. Almost had a Florida-ish sound to them.
My fave old school Swedish DM band is a tough one to answer. Entombed, Dismember, Edge of Sanity & Unleashed were my initial favorites in the very early 90's. Then along came Meshuggah and things changed.

Re: swedish death metal
Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 18:01
by captainshanks
I am loving death breath at the moment, swedish death fronted by scott carlson whats there not to love?