Page 1 of 1

Rusty Cooley and George Bellas

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 20:34
by Harry Lime
Both of these guys use a certain technique in a couple songs that I can't recall hearing elsewhere. I don't know how to play guitar so maybe they are using a widely employed technique, but to my ears it sounds unique. The only video I could find was Under the Influence by Rusty Cooley: <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtLUz34iofM<!-- m --> at approximately 5:04 is what I'm talking about. I also think it is used in Airborne by George Bellas. I couldn't find a video of him playing it, but if anyone has his Mind Over Matter album it is at approximately 2:39 in Airborne.

Re: Rusty Cooley and George Bellas

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 23:24
by Shredlord
"stroke me, for i wish to orgasm"...I don't see anything too unique at that point. He's using what we call a "pedal point" where a note (or sometimes a short pattern of notes) is played constantly while a melody is played on top of it--the right hand quickly alternates between the two. It originated in classical music--probably on a harpsichord in the 17th century. Ritchie Blackmore was the first to use it extensively in rock music back in the 70s. If this isn't what you meant, then I've blathered on rather pointlessly.

Re: Rusty Cooley and George Bellas

Posted: 29 Jul 2010, 00:06
by Harry Lime
Thanks for the info. I assumed it was probably just my lack of knowledge that made it seem like a bigger deal.

Re: Rusty Cooley and George Bellas

Posted: 29 Jul 2010, 00:40
by Shredlord
[quote name="Buck Murdock"]Thanks for the info. I assumed it was probably just my lack of knowledge that made it seem like a bigger deal.[/quote]

Unless you've been playing for quite a while, it can be a very tricky technique to master.

Re: Rusty Cooley and George Bellas

Posted: 29 Jul 2010, 05:54
by Haunty
Rusty is an amazing guitarist, but his music is only successful in that it makes me want to pick up a guitar and play an actual riff. :necro:

Re: Rusty Cooley and George Bellas

Posted: 29 Jul 2010, 05:58
by Devy
[quote name="hbw"]Rusty is an amazing guitarist, but his music is only successful in that it makes me want to pick up a guitar and play an actual riff. :necro:[/quote]
[quote name="hbw"]Rusty is an amazing guitarist, but his music is only successful in that it makes me want to pick up a guitar and play an actual riff. :necro:[/quote]
[quote name="hbw"]Rusty is an amazing guitarist, but his music is only successful in that it makes me want to pick up a guitar and play an actual riff. :necro:[/quote]



I quoted this three times to emphasis the truthfulness. He could melt my face with his playing, but somehow I'd still be bored.

Re: Rusty Cooley and George Bellas

Posted: 29 Jul 2010, 09:45
by Haunty
He's like Yngwie Malmsteen v0.3



With Yngwie, I can actually make it through a whole song before I say, "cool dude, do something else."