Page 1 of 2

Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 21:24
by Meat Engine
Until recently I had not listened to BSOV in a couple of years. I always took it for granted that Catacombs was my favorite, Shrines was Second, AOTW was third, and BSOV was probably fourth. I listened to BSOV something like four times in the previous three days, and I think it may be my favorite Nile album. now. I listened to "Masturbating the War God", and wondered why it took me this long to appreciate it. It is also my opinion that "To Dream of Ur" is the best of the "epic" Nile songs.



Oh, and "Defile the Gates of Ishtar" is probably the best unintentional euphemism for sex that I can conceive.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 21:29
by Anjel
BSOV. :xx:



It's my favorite Nile album.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 21:40
by Verbal
i also have begun to appreciate bsov as uch as atconk



the album is pretty much unrelenting excellence from the opening riff of bsov right through to khetti satha shemsu (one of the best and appropriate album closers imo).

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 21:43
by Tyreese BIGGUMS
Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.



Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production :vomit:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 21:54
by Meat Engine
I would hardly call the production unlistenable. It's pretty much par for the time.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 21:56
by Verbal
I prefer the production on the earlier albums.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 22:31
by Hugo.
[quote name="Verbal"]I prefer the production on the earlier albums.[/quote]



Me too.



Ithyphallic has the worst production ive ever heard.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 02 Aug 2010, 22:41
by shadowalk
[quote name="Anjel"]BSOV. :xx:



It's my favorite Nile album.[/quote]

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 03 Aug 2010, 00:40
by vO)))id
I fucking love everything from BSOV!!

And yes these songs fucking slay:



[youtube]ZaZ1-ebA95E[/youtube]



[youtube]49lDTdakCqw[/youtube]

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 03 Aug 2010, 01:08
by Devy
I'd say the production on BSOV creates the perfect mood for the songs they were writing at the time. It creates a very oppressive atmosphere.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 03 Aug 2010, 01:19
by vO)))id
Indeed! I love the production of it.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 03 Aug 2010, 01:33
by Meat Engine
If BSOV were the point at which death metal would be considered unlistenable, then how could one listen to any of the classics?

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 09:22
by Haunty
[quote name="The Fu Monster"]I listened to "Masturbating the War God", and wondered why it took me this long to appreciate it.[/quote]



Yeah, what the fuck? :redneck:



[quote name="The Fu Monster"]Oh, and "Defile the Gates of Ishtar" is probably the best unintentional euphemism for sex that I can conceive.[/quote]



I'm actually fairly well convinced that it's not unintentional. The entire song is about raping the temple whores or some shit.



[quote name="Devy"]I'd say the production on BSOV creates the perfect mood for the songs they were writing at the time. It creates a very oppressive atmosphere.[/quote]



This.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 12:19
by Lavabug
Probably my favorite Nile album.



I too share the sentiment that atconk is almost unlistenable because of the production. I'm still only able to get the gist of whats happening on the record, the sound is much too convoluted imo.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 16:39
by Spirits of the Deep Waters
I love the catchiness of the first riff in Multitude of Foes

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 17:07
by Hugo.
The fast riff in The Black Flame is amazing.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 19:07
by Spirits of the Deep Waters
[quote name="Zajebiste!"]The fast riff in The Black Flame is amazing.[/quote]



The whole tune is amazing. It's very melodic :idea:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 20:28
by Hugo.
Anyone notice how the ochestral part in masterbating is like a 6/8 ripp off of the orchestral bit in Kashmir by Led zep?

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 20:47
by Haunty
I haven't actually. Now I'm going to have to investigate this.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 21:09
by Anjel
Nile seems to have done a lot of ripping off.

<!-- m -->http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=219192<!-- m -->



To be honest, I don't care, they are still awesome.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 22:05
by Verbal
<!-- m -->http://www.nilechat.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ass#120919<!-- m -->



[quote name="KarlSanders"]I didn't "admit" anything.



I came out of the gate with admiration and respect for Candlemass ,

and very upfront and proud of where the rifff came from.



Yes the riff is from Candlemass . It isn't exact , I changed a few tiny details, but its damn close enough to make its point.



I love Candlemass, And I love the riff. They were an inspiration to me for many years ,

and including the riff In our music was a way of showing respect and influence.



While I am at it, I would love to point out that you completely MISSED

in "Unas" the Judas Priest riff, The Rainbow riff , The Mountain Riff, and even a Kiss riff.



So maybe you aren't impressing me with your musicology one little bit.



Usually, I don't mind talking about this Unas question ,

its usually a great opportunity to talk about Candlemass :pepper: and how much they have meant to me over the years .



But being that I have answered many repectfully framed questions

on this very same topic here at the Nile BB ,



Somehow , this one seems a bit like =

calling me out amongst my friends before you even bothered to find out the whole story.



A nice thankyou to the Nile BBers who jumped in here to clear things up.



BTW, Ophiuchus , I think its bad form to speak of downloading Candlemass , and accuse me of ripping them off in the same sentence.



I would expect this nonsense over on the Relapse Board , not here. :frown:[/quote]

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 22:15
by Meat Engine
Let us not forget the similarity in the closing riff from To Dream of Ur and the opening riff to Metallica's Unforgiven II. If you have a riff idea, someone has probably already had that same idea at some point in history. Borrowing or lifting a riff is forgivable, even understandable. The wholesale plagiarism of a song is not. It seems like most accusations in any music dispute lean to the former, rather than the latter.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 22:16
by Anjel
I can't read that topic, I need to register and registering doesn't work.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 06 Aug 2010, 18:04
by Hugo.
I have no problem with it either as long as you make it your own. If I hear a chord progression i like, i'll use it no fucking problem.



The quote i used in that nilechat thread was 'a good artist doesnt borrow, he steals - Pablo Picasso.' And picasso is THE greatest artist of the twentieth century bar none.



My problem is when an artist dips into the stock gene pool of overused faggotry like you hear in a lot of mainstream metal bands these days. It's just a fast track to a guaranteed generic response from the listener and i fucking hate it.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 06 Aug 2010, 18:18
by zim
i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 07 Aug 2010, 06:18
by Hugo.
[quote name="zimberly"]i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music[/quote]





Riffs: no way.



Chord progressions: no prob. Theyre pretty[img]available[/img]as far as i'm concerned.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 07 Aug 2010, 06:21
by Verbal
[quote name="Zajebiste!"]
[quote name="zimberly"]i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music[/quote]





Riffs: no way.



Chord progressions: no prob. Theyre pretty[img]available[/img]as far as i'm concerned.[/quote]



image doesnt appear to be available

:rshot:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 07 Aug 2010, 07:50
by Hugo.
I hit the img rather than the i button, i'm a spastic sorry.



I do have worthwhile sentiments, i swear.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 07 Aug 2010, 17:43
by Haunty
[quote name="Zajebiste!"]I have no problem with it either as long as you make it your own. If I hear a chord progression i like, i'll use it no fucking problem.



The quote i used in that nilechat thread was 'a good artist doesnt borrow, he steals - Pablo Picasso.' And picasso is THE greatest artist of the twentieth century bar none.



My problem is when an artist dips into the stock gene pool of overused faggotry like you hear in a lot of mainstream metal bands these days. It's just a fast track to a guaranteed generic response from the listener and i fucking hate it.[/quote]



This. I delegate you to speak for me on these matters in the future.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 07 Aug 2010, 19:25
by M.Bison
Karl Sanders used his immense girth to create a massive gravitational anomaly which tore open a hole in the time-space continuum, allowing him to go back in time and compose all of the traditional Egyptian music. It's his music. He isn't ripping anything off (other than the wrapper to his burger).


AHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA! :lol:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 07 Aug 2010, 20:30
by zim
:lol: :lol:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 08 Aug 2010, 19:48
by User
i've always been a mighty fan of bsov. the title track was one of their first tunes to twist my nipple. i still think catacombs is a better album, but bsov will always be in second place unless nile manage to reinvent themselves somehow

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 09 Aug 2010, 01:13
by Lavabug
Karl Sanders used his immense girth to create a massive gravitational anomaly which tore open a hole in the time-space continuum, allowing him to go back in time and compose all of the traditional Egyptian music. It's his music. He isn't ripping anything off (other than the wrapper to his burger).


AHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA! :lol:
:gay:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 12 Aug 2010, 03:58
by Syysysyd
my favorite nile album. awesome atmosphere. D:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 12 Aug 2010, 04:02
by Abzu
[quote name="Tyreese BIGGUMS"]Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.



Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production :vomit:[/quote]

I don't think I like you anymore.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 12 Aug 2010, 04:32
by Haunty
[quote name="desolation"]
[quote name="Tyreese BIGGUMS"]Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.



Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production :vomit:[/quote]

I don't think I like you anymore.[/quote]

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 12 Aug 2010, 15:40
by TamPron
It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 12 Aug 2010, 18:58
by Meat Engine
Why is it funny? The example is just obvious. It's been discussed to death.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 12 Aug 2010, 20:15
by Hugo.
[quote name="The Fu Monster"]Why is it funny? [/quote]



:angela8:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 12 Aug 2010, 20:20
by Devy
DUDE I'VE HEARD THAT BAND THEY'RE SUPERBADASS

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 12 Aug 2010, 20:21
by Hugo.
I LIKE ME ANDTHATS ALL THAT MATTERS, RIGHT?!!!!!!!

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 13 Aug 2010, 03:21
by Abzu
[quote name="TAM TAM"]It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.[/quote]

I was thinking it, but...



[quote name="The Fu Monster"]It's been discussed to death.[/quote]

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 13 Aug 2010, 10:23
by vega
this is great album. total fruital. :bang:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 13 Aug 2010, 10:44
by TamPron
[quote name="desolation"]
[quote name="TAM TAM"]It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.[/quote]

I was thinking it, but...



[quote name="The Fu Monster"]It's been discussed to death.[/quote][/quote]

Please forgive me for bringing it up.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 13 Aug 2010, 15:18
by Hugo.
No, you havent grovelled enough. MOAH!

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 14 Aug 2010, 04:14
by Abzu
KISS THE HEAD OF MY ATHEIST PENIS AND REDEMPTION SHALL BE YOURS!

:redneck:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 14 Aug 2010, 04:51
by Haunty
REDEMPTION DENIED :xx:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 14 Aug 2010, 11:09
by TamPron
[quote name="desolation"]KISS THE HEAD OF MY ATHEIST PENIS AND REDEMPTION SHALL BE YOURS!

:redneck:[/quote]

I CANNOT DO

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 07:28
by Abzu
:brushteeth:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Posted: 16 Aug 2010, 02:46
by Mutilator
HEre s recent interview with Karl and he talks a bit about staying in David Vincents house:



[youtube]UTLVczYbgAg&[/youtube]