Page 1 of 1

hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 09 Aug 2010, 21:46
by ANGEL OF DESEASE
what are ur favourites guitar players from the old school??



I have to say Ritchie Blackmore and Y.j. Malmsteen for solos, Tony Iommi for riffing.

I appreciate Jimmy Page too, but I don't feel his style so "mine" as for Iommi or Blackmore for example.





yours??

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 09 Aug 2010, 23:22
by Shredlord
If I may be allowed to respond: The GOD himself, Mr. Blackmore!



Image

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 09 Aug 2010, 23:35
by Meat Engine
Iommi's solos and his ability to improvise improved greatly in the Dio-era of Black Sabbath. Have a listen. Blackmore was front and center with the stuff he did in Rainbow. The live album, On Stage, is a perfect example. Iommi killed in the 80's, though.

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 10 Aug 2010, 00:59
by shadowalk
What "old school" is the 'old school' in this thread denoting? 70s-80s kintarists?

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 10 Aug 2010, 01:08
by ANGEL OF DESEASE
[quote name="shadowalk"]What "old school" is the 'old school' in this thread denoting? 70s-80s kintarists?[/quote]





yeah :idea:



__________



shredlord has taste. Fuck yes.

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 10 Aug 2010, 01:33
by Shredlord
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]shredlord has taste. Fuck yes.[/quote]



Thank you. Did I mention I met him after the concert? And Dio and Cozy Powell?

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 10 Aug 2010, 01:43
by ANGEL OF DESEASE
WOW really!!



do you have a picture with Mr. Blackmore?? tell us more man! :xx:

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 10 Aug 2010, 02:02
by shadowalk
In that case, I'd say Hetfield overall for riffing. Probably Hanneman/King or Cavalera as runner-ups.



Solos...hmm, that's a tough one. It varies from time to time. Right now, I'd say Skolnick or Murray/Smith.

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 10 Aug 2010, 02:10
by Shredlord
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]WOW really!!



do you have a picture with Mr. Blackmore?? tell us more man! :xx:[/quote]

No, I used up all of my film during the concert! I did get his autograph, but it has faded too much to read. Dio's and Powell's are still legible, though. I just asked him for his autograph and said. "You are the guitar god!" He just smiled and said "thank you." He seemed friendly enough--not the asshole that he's portrayed to be. I met Dio first, and the the first words out of his mouth were, "Wasn't Ritchie fucking incredible tonight?" (Indeed he was!!) Another cool thing about the concert is that they played "Stargazer" and "A Light in the Black" back to back just like on the "Rising" record. One thing that was not so cool was the crushing volume! I sat in the front row and was dizzy when it was over! (My inner ear had been compressed by the volume!) I had to wait at least an hour before I felt like I could drive. All in all, one hell of night! :bang:



Here's another pic:



Image

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 10 Aug 2010, 07:30
by djonni greazo
[quote name="shadowalk"]In that case, I'd say Hetfield overall for riffing. Probably Hanneman/King or Cavalera as runner-ups.

[/quote]



yeah for thrash-riffing, hetfield and mustaine are unmatchable, but for soli, there are thousands of competent guitarists

Re: hey devy (guitarists thread)

Posted: 10 Aug 2010, 17:43
by Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ritchie Blackmore

Paul Gilbert

Vinnie Moore

Macalpine

Yngwie Malmsteen

Eddie Van Halen

Jimi Hendrix

Trey Azagthoth

Mike Davis



My favourites :greenie: