Page 1 of 1

Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 17:38
by Haunty
When it comes to music in the grand or beautiful sense, or in the emotional sense, Arvo Pärt absolutely flattens the competition. Maybe he's not your thing, but still, I defy any of you to deny how amazing this music is.



[youtube]rmafNVimRbI[/youtube]

[youtube]QtFPdBUl7XQ[/youtube]

[youtube]9DebCLdf_c0[/youtube]

[youtube]TqeDTUEBJCA[/youtube]

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 18:24
by vO)))id
this is simply amazing... didn't know Arvo yet so thank you very much!

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 05:05
by Haunty
You're welcome. I sorta discovered him by accident when my music composition professor compared a piece I wrote to Arvo.

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 19:23
by Hugo.
Beautiful. I take it you like some Jann Tiersen?

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 21:11
by Shredlord
I prefer some of his earlier, thornier music. He even used 12-tone techniques for a while.

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 21:24
by zim
i've listened to the first two and i love it



thanks for sharing :interessant:

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 23:33
by Abzu
:thingy:

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 05:46
by Haunty
[quote name="Shredlord"]I prefer some of his earlier, thornier music. He even used 12-tone techniques for a while.[/quote]



I know. Some of it is pretty cool. I can intellectually appreciate 12-tone, and I honestly think he made a good run of it, but it's not something I can listen to for an extended period of time. Hell, my grandfather was big into that scene and composed with 12-tone, and I don't see him giving a shit anymore.



Part has a gift, and his 12 tone stuff is actually pretty listenable, I'll give you that. He really went from one extreme to another though, eh? :hard-on bearer:

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 06:06
by Shredlord
[quote name="hbw"]
[quote name="Shredlord"]I prefer some of his earlier, thornier music. He even used 12-tone techniques for a while.[/quote]



I know. Some of it is pretty cool. I can intellectually appreciate 12-tone, and I honestly think he made a good run of it, but it's not something I can listen to for an extended period of time. Hell, my grandfather was big into that scene and composed with 12-tone, and I don't see him giving a shit anymore.



Part has a gift, and his 12 tone stuff is actually pretty listenable, I'll give you that. He really went from one extreme to another though, eh? :hard-on bearer:[/quote]

Yeah, maybe a middle ground would be nice! I'm curious to hear his new 4th Symphony.

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 07:07
by FUKKET
* adds to get list *

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 08:18
by Abzu
[quote name="FUKKET"]* adds to get list *[/quote]

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 03:04
by vO)))id
In my second year at school I wrote a 12 tone composition (dodecaphony), pretty hard if you write it according to the rules. :homework:

Re: Arvo Pärt>>>>>>whatever you're listening to

Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 04:40
by Shredlord
[quote name="Void"]In my second year at school I wrote a 12 tone composition (dodecaphony), pretty hard if you write it according to the rules. :homework:[/quote]

Yeah, very few composers write in a strict serial form anymore. Just plain atonality or at least extremely chromatic harmony seems to be the preference now. Actually, a few composers, such as Penderecki, are writing almost tonal works these days!