Electronic music?

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Post Reply
User avatar
Tea
God of Emptiness
Posts: 575
Joined: 13 Apr 2011, 17:22
Location: Ireland

Electronic music?

Post by Tea »

So I'm under the impression that most metalheads aren't into electronic, but maybe some people here can prove me wrong :santa: Personally I love electronic as much as metal, it's tied between metal and electronic as my favourite musical genres. My only gripe with electronic is that in a lot of cases, it takes about 30 seconds to 2 minutes for a song to properly start.



I'll showcase some examples of some of my favourite songs from my 3 favourite sub-genres, and hopefully others can do the same :idea:



Psytrance

[youtube]pUsgzOSMsLI[/youtube]



Drum n bass

[youtube]JKD1YEDqU3M[/youtube]



Undefined (way too hard to put this band into one sub-genre, they're all over the place (also you'll probably find this really really annoying :thingy: )

[youtube]IEc3PVCdndg[/youtube]



... :blush:
User avatar
^_____________^
Ancient One
Posts: 3433
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 14:58
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body
Contact:

Re: Electronic music?

Post by ^_____________^ »

[youtube]ZbbUv1hz6mE[/youtube]



The Metroid series has the best music out of any video game series ever made.
User avatar
vega
Metal God
Posts: 6028
Joined: 10 Aug 2010, 22:33
Location: spain

Re: Electronic music?

Post by vega »

[youtube]jElCPYN1fu4[/youtube]
Image
User avatar
Tea
God of Emptiness
Posts: 575
Joined: 13 Apr 2011, 17:22
Location: Ireland

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Tea »

And here's more chilled out stuff (compared to the more energetic stuff I first posted)



[youtube]PdTbgx5ZXSk[/youtube]
User avatar
vega
Metal God
Posts: 6028
Joined: 10 Aug 2010, 22:33
Location: spain

Re: Electronic music?

Post by vega »

[youtube]qbGMMAdxgrI[/youtube]



dont like much the techno stuffs perhaps very few like this...
Image
User avatar
Grudge
Metal God
Posts: 10535
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 10:23

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Grudge »

I just made this thread a short while ago



<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10927">viewto ... t=10927</a><!-- l -->
User avatar
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius
Posts: 24044
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: Electronic music?

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah i enjoy me lots of electronic stuffos. aphex twin, venetian snares, kraftwerk, clark, tim hecker(!!!!), tangerine dream are my favorites, off the top of my head.



[quote name="themicrulah"][youtube]ZbbUv1hz6mE[/youtube]



The Metroid series has the best music out of any video game series ever made.[/quote]



nah, not even close. however, metroid prime did have a phenomenal soundtrack, probably the best in the series.
User avatar
^_____________^
Ancient One
Posts: 3433
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 14:58
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body
Contact:

Re: Electronic music?

Post by ^_____________^ »

:tear:



The music for Super Metroid seriously makes my soul weep.



[youtube]Ha3OZXOs9d0[/youtube]



What's your favorite VGM Derek?
User avatar
Uni777
Ancient One
Posts: 1433
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 02:23
Location: Sumerland

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Uni777 »

Does Massive Attack classify as electronic music?
User avatar
zim
Zim(a)
Posts: 26909
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: couch

Re: Electronic music?

Post by zim »

i like some electronic music, i've even made a few clips



<!-- m -->http://soundcloud.com/cts<!-- m -->

Break & Wip1 are my electronic tracks
the dead vote well wrote: ↑
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
User avatar
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius
Posts: 24044
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: Electronic music?

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="themicrulah"]What's your favorite VGM Derek?[/quote]



well, to begin with the obvious, every entry in the main final fantasy series up through 12 rates from good to great, 13 was quite uneven though; stylistically it seemed like a departure from masashi hamauzu's other soundtracks that i'd heard in the past, and there was too much pop-vocal garbage and fluff to get into it. FF tactics also deserves mention, it's easily one of my all-time favorites as far as VGM goes -- most of the games hitoshi sakimoto composed for (that i've listened to, anyway) had phenomenal soundtracks though, FF12, tactics ogre, vagrant story and so-forth.



yasunori mitsuda's also one of the greats -- he did a large chunk of chrono trigger, all of chrono cross, and xenogears. most importantly though, he also scored xenosaga episode 1, which is probably hands down the best VG soundtrack ever recorded. you'd hardly know it from playing the game though, as most of the really good material was criminally under-used.



michiru yamane's castlevania contributions also range from good to great, symphony of the night being the best, of course. i don't know if the composers for CV1/2/3/4 are credited, but those were all fantastic as well.



akira yamaoka for silent hill 2 alone, that shit is straight up genius.



i could go on for hours on this subject :redneck:



[quote name="uni777"]Does Massive Attack classify as electronic music?[/quote]



yeah i'd probably group them in with electronic, it's a pretty broad term so i think it could easily encapsulate the kind of stuff MA does.
User avatar
baron von blondle
Ancient One
Posts: 3660
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 02:24
Location: In Trouble
Contact:

Re: Electronic music?

Post by baron von blondle »

[quote name="uni777"]Does Massive Attack classify as electronic music?[/quote]



I'd say yes



I love this album....



[youtube]uKTcJqkfzNU[/youtube]



[youtube]ttcwcaALXZw[/youtube]
Image Image
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]Peter Theobalds is a full of win.[/quote]
User avatar
^_____________^
Ancient One
Posts: 3433
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 14:58
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body
Contact:

Re: Electronic music?

Post by ^_____________^ »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]
[quote name="themicrulah"]What's your favorite VGM Derek?[/quote]



well, to begin with the obvious, every entry in the main final fantasy series up through 12 rates from good to great, 13 was quite uneven though; stylistically it seemed like a departure from masashi hamauzu's other soundtracks that i'd heard in the past, and there was too much pop-vocal garbage and fluff to get into it. FF tactics also deserves mention, it's easily one of my all-time favorites as far as VGM goes -- most of the games hitoshi sakimoto composed for (that i've listened to, anyway) had phenomenal soundtracks though, FF12, tactics ogre, vagrant story and so-forth.



yasunori mitsuda's also one of the greats -- he did a large chunk of chrono trigger, all of chrono cross, and xenogears. most importantly though, he also scored xenosaga episode 1, which is probably hands down the best VG soundtrack ever recorded. you'd hardly know it from playing the game though, as most of the really good material was criminally under-used.



michiru yamane's castlevania contributions also range from good to great, symphony of the night being the best, of course. i don't know if the composers for CV1/2/3/4 are credited, but those were all fantastic as well.



akira yamaoka for silent hill 2 alone, that shit is straight up genius.



i could go on for hours on this subject :redneck:[/quote]



I have a SOTN rom on my Xbox, I need to finish that playthrough :bang:



Dawn of Sorrow was really good. I haven't played any of the other Castlevanias all the way through :homework:



I've heard a lot about Xenogears but I've never played it. Same with Chrono Trigger, I tried to get a rom of it on my DSTT cart but it refused to work, and I've never gotten around to playing the SNES version either. I've heard some OC ReMiX tracks of that game though, and I've liked what I've heard. :judge:



Did you like the music in FFVII:AC? I remember when that movie came out I watched it without ever playing FFVII, and I thought it was cool, and the music too, but I'm interested to hear your opinion. :gay:
User avatar
Tea
God of Emptiness
Posts: 575
Joined: 13 Apr 2011, 17:22
Location: Ireland

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Tea »

[quote name="baron von blondle"]
[quote name="uni777"]Does Massive Attack classify as electronic music?[/quote]



I'd say yes



I love this album....



[youtube]uKTcJqkfzNU[/youtube]



[youtube]ttcwcaALXZw[/youtube][/quote]



This I very much so enjoyed :idea:



Some more electronic tunes I really enjoy



Dark psytrance ( :xx:::: )

[youtube]ZAcMm6NDP_s[/youtube]



Some house music (excuse the stupid song title)

[youtube]eo6Y5agGM_4[/youtube]



Techno (female voices in electronic music... :jizz: )

[youtube]5HNtsdtnBfk[/youtube]
User avatar
rhino
PAWG Hunter
Posts: 51143
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 04:59

Re: Electronic music?

Post by rhino »

[quote name="carpet_salesman"][youtube]jElCPYN1fu4[/youtube][/quote]





ha wwhhhaaaaaaaaa?



this is the first time i heard this :oldryan:
User avatar
Those Insane Gods
Member
Posts: 436
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 16:48

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Those Insane Gods »

Big fan and collector of electronic music here. Pretty much every sub-genre. I'm currently listening to early EBM like Front 242 and Skinny Puppy and loads of 2001-04 era Minimal Progressive Trance. Stuff like Auricular, Shiva Chandra, Cujorius One, Tenka, Yumade, Paps etc. Dark and oppressive stuff.



I did two amateur interviews with Peter Candy from Koxbox and Bjørn from Cujorius One/Tenka not too long ago. Check em out:



<!-- m -->http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php ... orius-one/<!-- m -->



<!-- m -->http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php ... of-koxbox/<!-- m -->
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
User avatar
Those Insane Gods
Member
Posts: 436
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 16:48

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Those Insane Gods »

Auricular - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG-7H--Qt7c<!-- m -->



Shiva Chandra - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Atp6SNLOU<!-- m -->



Paps - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WyIlYKr-w<!-- m -->



Krumelur - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWOyHkNSYEw<!-- m -->





:thingy:
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
User avatar
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius
Posts: 24044
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: Electronic music?

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="themicrulah"]I have a SOTN rom on my Xbox, I need to finish that playthrough :bang:



Dawn of Sorrow was really good. I haven't played any of the other Castlevanias all the way through :homework:



I've heard a lot about Xenogears but I've never played it. Same with Chrono Trigger, I tried to get a rom of it on my DSTT cart but it refused to work, and I've never gotten around to playing the SNES version either. I've heard some OC ReMiX tracks of that game though, and I've liked what I've heard. :judge:



Did you like the music in FFVII:AC? I remember when that movie came out I watched it without ever playing FFVII, and I thought it was cool, and the music too, but I'm interested to hear your opinion. :gay:[/quote]



xenogears is great, one of my all-time favorites, although it hasn't aged very well. the graphics are rather hideous by today's standards, and the translation is a bit rough, but despite some iffy execution in that regard the plot was light-years ahead of its peers. CT is pretty good as well but on the whole i think i preferred chrono cross (very few people would agree with that, for whatever that's worth).



yeah i liked a lot of the music in AC, but i really, really dislike the rock/heavy metal treatment of one-winged angel. of course, most of the tracks i can remember from that soundtrack were basically ripped straight from the game OST with better instrumentation/new arrangements and whatnot, but there's certainly a bunch of originals on there that came out quite well.
User avatar
Tea
God of Emptiness
Posts: 575
Joined: 13 Apr 2011, 17:22
Location: Ireland

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Tea »

[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]Auricular - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG-7H--Qt7c<!-- m -->



Shiva Chandra - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Atp6SNLOU<!-- m -->



[/quote]



Are these artists German? I mainly listen to British and Russian psytrance, been meaning to check out the scene in Holland and Germany... these 2 tracks are pretty effin' :xx:
User avatar
vO)))id
Metal God
Posts: 12253
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44

Re: Electronic music?

Post by vO)))id »

I love so much electronic music, I'm not going to post all that stuff.

But Subsurfing - Frozen Ants... :idea:
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: Electronic music?

Post by FUKKET »

Amon Tobin

Venetian Snares

SquarePusher
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Abzu »

Boards of Canada

Amon Tobin

Autechre

Massive Attack

Front 242

Skinny Puppy

Velvet Acid Christ

Leaether Strip

Kraftwerk

SquarePusher

some others I cannot immediately recall
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 13850
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Electronic music?

Post by shadowalk »

A lot of MABBers are big NIN fans (proud to say I'm one of them) so that's one.



Other than that, I like me a lot of gloryhole era Euro-dance/techno/trance stuff including ATB, Paul Van Dyk, Orbital, Underworld, Junkie XL, Gouryella, Mauro Picotto and other stuf like that.
User avatar
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø
Posts: 21723
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49
Location: Birdtown, Minnesota

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Mesarthim »

I like me some electronic music. i'm more of a fan of the more relaxing types though, not so much the extreme hardcore gabber type stuff. Venetian Snares being the exception of course.
rhino wrote: ↑
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
User avatar
Those Insane Gods
Member
Posts: 436
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 16:48

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Those Insane Gods »

[quote name="Flittermice"]
[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]Auricular - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG-7H--Qt7c<!-- m -->



Shiva Chandra - <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Atp6SNLOU<!-- m -->



[/quote]



Are these artists German? I mainly listen to British and Russian psytrance, been meaning to check out the scene in Holland and Germany... these 2 tracks are pretty effin' :xx:[/quote]



From Hamburg yes. It's the same hard-on bearer under two different names.
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
User avatar
Those Insane Gods
Member
Posts: 436
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 16:48

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Those Insane Gods »

Haldolium's first album Deagua is also a Hamburg Psy classic.
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Abzu »

I forgot NIN. While I'm at it, I also forgot VNV Nation, Ministry, Pigface, Orbital and Laibach.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
Gmajnar
Member
Posts: 103
Joined: 19 May 2011, 20:19
Location: Slovenia

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Gmajnar »

WhereTheSlimeLives - that's 4 GREAT artists/songs you've mentioned - Auricular, Paps, Shiva Chandra and Krumelur! I love psytrance :redneck:

And also congrats on the KOXBOX interview - his first two albums Forever After and especially Dragontales are so full of fun and imagination it makes me smile every time I listen to them. Psyhodelic :redneck:



Haldolium are great to! And I totally enjoy another german psy-trance artists, the mighty X-DREAM!
User avatar
Drum Solo
Member
Posts: 303
Joined: 23 Apr 2011, 19:28

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Drum Solo »

I don't know much of anything about the genre, and maybe this is more ambient anyway, but if Tangerine Dream count then why not Klaus Schulze:



[youtube]0vtE7--vetE[/youtube]
User avatar
deckard
Metal God
Posts: 12502
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 03:34
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Electronic music?

Post by deckard »

global communication

fluke

rob dougan

tom middleton

aphex twin

boards of canada

reload

orbital

lamb

massive attack

ulver



fuck yeah :xx:
Redd
Ancient One
Posts: 4821
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 05:52
Location: USA

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Redd »

A lot of this stuff is very different from the kind of electronic I listen to. Gonna have quite a bit of list of new stuff to check out.



Anyway, some of the stuff I like:

[youtube]S6fVhYTRVp8[/youtube]

[youtube]eRafAZ4r6jM[/youtube]
Noyka
Ancient One
Posts: 4935
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:16
Location: California

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Noyka »

[youtube]81WTpKtSUT8[/youtube]



Collide - Euphoria



More electronic/rock but still awesome
User avatar
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness
Posts: 592
Joined: 05 May 2009, 10:19

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Tyreese BIGGUMS »

bt's "this binary universe" is fucking awesome.



not sure how much of this really classifies as "electronic" but...



astral projection

shpongle

hallucinogen

younger brother (yes, I'm a big fan of simon posford's work...)

ott

excision

bassnectar

deadmau5

aphex twin

tangerine dream

the knife



are among some of my favorites.
User avatar
Tea
God of Emptiness
Posts: 575
Joined: 13 Apr 2011, 17:22
Location: Ireland

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Tea »

I'm surprised I'm the only person to have mentioned Crystal Castles :santa:
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 13850
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Electronic music?

Post by shadowalk »

[quote name="Flittermice"][youtube]5HNtsdtnBfk[/youtube][/quote]

Now that we're talking Orbital, it's time to post their best work

[youtube]ioeutEu1_8s[/youtube]
User avatar
deckard
Metal God
Posts: 12502
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 03:34
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Electronic music?

Post by deckard »

this is also a good version of halcyon



[youtube]Ek4ekh_a-wc[/youtube]
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 13850
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Electronic music?

Post by shadowalk »

I actually enjoyed that. That remix made good use of Halcyon's dragging parts at the end. Thanks for posting. :santa:
User avatar
deckard
Metal God
Posts: 12502
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 03:34
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Electronic music?

Post by deckard »

:edits:



tom middleton is one half of global communication, they are excellent.



[youtube]lU8o9AcBkfc[/youtube]
User avatar
Mr. P
Ancient One
Posts: 4211
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 16:25

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Mr. P »

[youtube]3QVrhetXl0s[/youtube]



Who remembers this?
:xx:
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 13850
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Electronic music?

Post by shadowalk »

One of my favorite electronic tunes.

[youtube]eBw4P7o0yuo[/youtube]
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Toozey"]this is also a good version of halcyon



[youtube]Ek4ekh_a-wc[/youtube][/quote]

:xx: I loved that!
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Abzu »

:page00000010:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God
Posts: 11514
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 17:43
Location: banned from the disco

Re: Electronic music?

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

I jammed some KRAFTWERK (ger) , ROCKETS (france) from the 70's :greenie:
Image



<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
User avatar
Grudge
Metal God
Posts: 10535
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 10:23

Re: Electronic music?

Post by Grudge »

[quote name="i am extreme <!-- s][youtube]jElCPYN1fu4[/youtube][/quote]





PROPS BRO
User avatar
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God
Posts: 11514
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 17:43
Location: banned from the disco

Re: Electronic music?

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

TECNHO Morbid angel :oldryan:
Image



<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
Post Reply