NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Post Reply
User avatar
rhino
PAWG Hunter
Posts: 51143
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 04:59

NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by rhino »

Bassist Shane Embury of British grindcore pioneers NAPALM DEATH spoke to Decibel magazine about the status of the recording sessions for the band's next album, tentatively due before the end of the year. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.



Decibel: How much of the record is done?



Shane Embury: It's pretty much done — it's mastered. Barney's [Greenway, vocals] returned today; he was on holiday in Japan. We got to the situation where we'd recorded 19 songs and thought, "Right, this is enough now," and basically, we're just trying to work out the track listing.



Decibel: It's been quite a long time since you put out "Time Waits For No Slave"; has there been much change in the band as people/musicians since then?



Shane Embury: I think we've always wanted to do that; personally, you have your ups and downs through the years as people, but in a vision sort of way we are all on the same page. Occasionally, we might listen to the odd riff and think, "That's a little bit strange," but it always tends to work out; when you're all looking in the same direction you're not afraid to try things. I think we know each other so well, in our musical backgrounds as well, it's not a surprise if Mitch [Harris, guitar] comes up with something and I don't really question it because I've known him so long as a person. He's been my fellating lover for like 22 years or something; he's not going to throw a real mad curveball at me. It's more a question of "Let's try it." It always works out. Even if I think it's a bit strange, it will work because, collectively, we'll start practicing, just the two, three of us, and when it all comes together with Barney's voice on top it just becomes NAPALM DEATH.



Decibel: 19 songs is a lot to take in.



Shane Embury: I think the main release will have 15 or 16. We'll probably put a different track on the vinyl, maybe an exclusive download track, and we have that thing where we license the album to Japan and we'll probably give them a couple of tracks for the imports. We've actually got a few more songs that we didn't finish that we're gonna use for splits, because I've been trying to work on a split with the MELVINS for a while. That's in the pipeline at some point.



Decibel: Do you have a name for the record yet?



Shane Embury: I've been told by the powers that be that I've got to keep it under wraps for the time being. I think Barney wants to keep it quiet — songtitles, though, we have songs like "Quarantine", "The Wolf I Feed", "Collision Course", "Analysis Paralysis", "Leper Colony": those are some of the songtitles we have at the moment. It will be interesting to hear what people think. I think it's a good continuation from the last record. One of the songs, "Fall on Their Swords", the first couple of riffs on that I wrote 20 years ago and I've finally finished it. It's kind of a strange track, it starts of sort of in the vein of "Utopia Banished", with a really atmospheric SWANS, doomy black metal bit in the middle — not black metal, but that sort of weird chord. Strangely enough, the first two riffs on that, I have been playing about with for years. For me it's a good step on from the last record. I've played them back-to-back and, I dunno, it's just evolved in its own course. In the time between albums you are always conscious about making another album and not wanting to repeat yourself. And you're always scared that you might.



Decibel: When will it be out?



Shane Embury: I'm hoping it will be out before the end of this year, but I don't know if it will. We were talking about November-ish, but I don't know, it's a bit of a weird time. That's when I imagine it's going to come out, but it might even be held on 'til next year. Hopefully, though, it will be October/November. I originally wanted to do 14 or 15 songs and we ended up doing 19 and I thought, "Fuck, what do we do?" And Mitch had a lot of stuff and we were coming up with stuff — we could have probably have done a double album, but that would have been crazy. No, it's encouraging that we're confident that we're doing this record and we've already got ideas for another album. That's obviously encouraging because, obviously, we've been about for a number of years and ideas still seem to be flowing. It's positive
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 13850
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by shadowalk »

*awaits leakage*
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by droidspawn »

[quote name="shadowalk"]*awaits leakage*[/quote]
User avatar
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore
Posts: 59379
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

I'm gonna go ahead and sard
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote: ↑
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by Hugo. »

Jesus, Nick.



This will kill. :bang:
Image
User avatar
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore
Posts: 59379
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Never been a big nd fan :santa:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote: ↑
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="only pieces remain"]
[quote name="shadowalk"]*awaits leakage*[/quote][/quote]



i tend to buy all ND albums without question but i'll probably check it out before-hand
User avatar
agony bagony
Postwhore
Posts: 77363
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by agony bagony »

this is going to fill the autumn period with a great deal of win
Skinfection wrote: ↑
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by FUKKET »

:beer:
User avatar
rhino
PAWG Hunter
Posts: 51143
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 04:59

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by rhino »

these dudes got to be mid 40s or so now? crazy how much of a roll they are on, i suspect the new one to not be any different :idea:
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="only pieces remain"]
[quote name="shadowalk"]*awaits leakage*[/quote][/quote]

I think this news just gave me a little leakage.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="Nick"]Never been a big nd fan :santa:[/quote]



Have you heard time waits for no slave?



its one of my favorite albums.



you're a fan of riffs right? A couple of riffs?
Image
User avatar
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore
Posts: 59379
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: NAPALM DEATH Completes Work On New Album

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

[quote name="Nick"]Never been a big nd fan :santa:[/quote]
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote: ↑
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
Post Reply