Nocturnus - "Ethereal Tomb" thoughts?

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Post Reply
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Nocturnus - "Ethereal Tomb" thoughts?

Post by FUKKET »

Image



What are your thoughts on Nocturnus's last album?

It's OK.

I don't dig the death growl vocals (I prefer the raspy ones of "Thresholds" etc..).

The keys are too low in the mix too.



:santa:
-M-
Ancient One
Posts: 2033
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:28

Re: Nocturnus - "Ethereal Tomb" thoughts?

Post by -M- »

I haven't listened to this album for ages. I remember I liked it a lot.
User avatar
Desoppus
Member
Posts: 199
Joined: 27 Jun 2010, 13:46

Re: Nocturnus - "Ethereal Tomb" thoughts?

Post by Desoppus »

Drum tracks :ra:

Growls :zzz:

Davis :xx:
User avatar
Mutilator
Ancient One
Posts: 1578
Joined: 11 May 2009, 02:44
Location: Utrecht NL

Re: Nocturnus - "Ethereal Tomb" thoughts?

Post by Mutilator »

I'd rather have the Mike Browning albums (or the EP):



[youtube]DDNy6MuqrMQ[/youtube]
User avatar
zim
Zim(a)
Posts: 26909
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: couch

Re: Nocturnus - "Ethereal Tomb" thoughts?

Post by zim »

i always thought mike browning was the weak point in nocturnus. his vocals and drumming has always been :oldryan: to me
the dead vote well wrote: ↑
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
User avatar
Mutilator
Ancient One
Posts: 1578
Joined: 11 May 2009, 02:44
Location: Utrecht NL

Re: Nocturnus - "Ethereal Tomb" thoughts?

Post by Mutilator »

Well, he played on the best Nocturnus albums and in my ears he did a fine job and played very creatively along with the music instead just hitting beats.



In that sense he is comparable to Pete Sandoval, who is also far from having an top notch technique but gets where he needs to be on devotion and persistence.



And, nothing wrong with his vocals. They fitted better than Emo Mowery's 13-in-a-dozen grunting.



And remember that Mike did both at the same time. Not an easy task I reckon.
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: Nocturnus - "Ethereal Tomb" thoughts?

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="zim"] his vocals have always been :oldryan: to me[/quote]
User avatar
Mutilator
Ancient One
Posts: 1578
Joined: 11 May 2009, 02:44
Location: Utrecht NL

Re: Nocturnus - "Ethereal Tomb" thoughts?

Post by Mutilator »

Season of mist is selling the Nocturnus - A farewell to planet earth dvd for 5 euros now:



<!-- m -->http://e-shop.season-of-mist.com/en/ite ... h/dvd/9792<!-- m -->
Post Reply