Former KYUSS Members File Suit Against KYUSS! LIVES
- rhino
- PAWG Hunter
- Posts: 51143
- Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 04:59
Former KYUSS Members File Suit Against KYUSS! LIVES
SHITS GETTING REAL
Former KYUSS guitarist jorsh Homme and bassist Scott Reeder have filed a federal lawsuit against fellow ex-KYUSS members John Garcia (vocals) and Brant Bjork (drums) alleging "trademark infringement and consumer fraud" over the use of the KYUSS name.
Garcia, Bjork and ex-KYUSS bassist Nick Oliveri reunited for shows last year under the KYUSS LIVES! banner, in which they were joined by guitarist Bruno Fevery. The band has since toured on both sides of the Atlantic and is said to be currently working on a live album for a late 2012 release. There are also tentative plans for the group to record a brand new studio CD.
Homme and Reeder released a statement today via public relations firm Nasty Little Man:
"It sucks. To think we went to a meeting in January solely to help them with their request to continue KYUSS LIVES! With open arms, we made every attempt to help them continue KYUSS LIVES! respectfully. Only to discover while they looked us in the eye, KYUSS LIVES! management and band had filed federal documents in 2011 in an attempt to steal the name KYUSS. This is desperately what we were trying to avoid. It's a sad day for us and for John — but most of all for the fans. What a needless mess."
Regarding why Homme is not involved in the KYUSS reunion, Garcia previously told Rock Sound magazine, "I have nothing bad to say about jorsh — he's extremely intelligent, very smart, a great guitar player, great songwriter, a great vocalist — he is a bad-ass, there is no question, and I love him dearly but he is busy with his own thing. He has THEM CROOKED VULTURES, QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE, he's a father, a businessman and even if we asked him to do it, I don't think he'd say yes, so I don't want to set myself up for a big fat no which is 99.9 percent what he would say."
Reeder played a handful of European live dates with KYUSS LIVES! last year as a fill-in for Oliveri. He was also a "special guest" at KYUSS LIVES!'s homecoming show on November 18, 2011 at The Wiltern in Los Angeles.
Reeder played bass on KYUSS' classic LPs "Welcome to Sky Valley" and "...And the Circus Leaves Town" and was also a member of doom legends THE OBSESSED.
In a 2010 interview, Homme explained his hesitation to participate in a KYUSS reformation.
"The offers come in all the time," he said. "They're getting more and more expensive, and more and more elaborate. The money is crazy, but I've never been tempted — I don't really care about the money, I never have. That's not what KYUSS was about, so to punctuate the end of our sentence with that would be blasphemy… KYUSS has such a great history that it would be a total error. I like that nobody saw KYUSS, and that it was largely misunderstood. That sounds like a legend forming to me. I'm too proud of it to rub my dick on it."
[youtube]ROCDGwKAXtc[/youtube]
Former KYUSS guitarist jorsh Homme and bassist Scott Reeder have filed a federal lawsuit against fellow ex-KYUSS members John Garcia (vocals) and Brant Bjork (drums) alleging "trademark infringement and consumer fraud" over the use of the KYUSS name.
Garcia, Bjork and ex-KYUSS bassist Nick Oliveri reunited for shows last year under the KYUSS LIVES! banner, in which they were joined by guitarist Bruno Fevery. The band has since toured on both sides of the Atlantic and is said to be currently working on a live album for a late 2012 release. There are also tentative plans for the group to record a brand new studio CD.
Homme and Reeder released a statement today via public relations firm Nasty Little Man:
"It sucks. To think we went to a meeting in January solely to help them with their request to continue KYUSS LIVES! With open arms, we made every attempt to help them continue KYUSS LIVES! respectfully. Only to discover while they looked us in the eye, KYUSS LIVES! management and band had filed federal documents in 2011 in an attempt to steal the name KYUSS. This is desperately what we were trying to avoid. It's a sad day for us and for John — but most of all for the fans. What a needless mess."
Regarding why Homme is not involved in the KYUSS reunion, Garcia previously told Rock Sound magazine, "I have nothing bad to say about jorsh — he's extremely intelligent, very smart, a great guitar player, great songwriter, a great vocalist — he is a bad-ass, there is no question, and I love him dearly but he is busy with his own thing. He has THEM CROOKED VULTURES, QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE, he's a father, a businessman and even if we asked him to do it, I don't think he'd say yes, so I don't want to set myself up for a big fat no which is 99.9 percent what he would say."
Reeder played a handful of European live dates with KYUSS LIVES! last year as a fill-in for Oliveri. He was also a "special guest" at KYUSS LIVES!'s homecoming show on November 18, 2011 at The Wiltern in Los Angeles.
Reeder played bass on KYUSS' classic LPs "Welcome to Sky Valley" and "...And the Circus Leaves Town" and was also a member of doom legends THE OBSESSED.
In a 2010 interview, Homme explained his hesitation to participate in a KYUSS reformation.
"The offers come in all the time," he said. "They're getting more and more expensive, and more and more elaborate. The money is crazy, but I've never been tempted — I don't really care about the money, I never have. That's not what KYUSS was about, so to punctuate the end of our sentence with that would be blasphemy… KYUSS has such a great history that it would be a total error. I like that nobody saw KYUSS, and that it was largely misunderstood. That sounds like a legend forming to me. I'm too proud of it to rub my dick on it."
[youtube]ROCDGwKAXtc[/youtube]
- Ninny
- Metal God
- Posts: 16107
- Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 15:24
- Location: Groaningagain
-
droidspawn
- I'd Rank That For $1
- Posts: 49521
- Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
- Location: to the depths, in degradation
Re: Former KYUSS Members File Suit Against KYUSS! LIVES
it's like that fear factory bullshit all over again 
- agony bagony
- Postwhore
- Posts: 77363
- Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36
- Grudge
- Metal God
- Posts: 10535
- Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 10:23
Re: Former KYUSS Members File Suit Against KYUSS! LIVES
oh fucking come on
- rhino
- PAWG Hunter
- Posts: 51143
- Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 04:59
- baron von blondle
- Ancient One
- Posts: 3660
- Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 02:24
- Location: In Trouble
- Contact:
Re: Former KYUSS Members File Suit Against KYUSS! LIVES
[quote name="rhino"]"I'm too proud of it to rub my dick on it."[/quote]


[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]Peter Theobalds is a full of win.[/quote]
- agony bagony
- Postwhore
- Posts: 77363
- Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36
- rhino
- PAWG Hunter
- Posts: 51143
- Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 04:59
Re: Former KYUSS Members File Suit Against KYUSS! LIVES
Bassist Nick Oliveri has left KYUSS LIVES!, the project featuring members of KYUSS — the influential American stoner rock/metal band, originally from Palm Desert, California.
Oliveri and fellow ex-KYUSS members John Garcia (vocals) and Brant Bjork (drums) reunited for shows last year under the KYUSS LIVES! banner, in which they were joined by guitarist Bruno Fevery. The band has since toured on both sides of the Atlantic and was said to be working on a live album for a late 2012 release.
Speaking to Antiquiet in an exclusive video interview, Oliveri stated about his decision to leave KYUSS LIVES!, "John's idea, when I was [first] asked to [be a part of KYUSS LIVES!], was we were going to do a tour and promote our solo bands. Seeing John do it already with GARCIA PLAYS KYUSS at such a big level, [we thought], 'Wow, man, we could actually reach some people with our solo stuff in a very honest way and play the tunes that we have mad respect for and love as well. Basically, at the end of the day, that's what I'm doing. I'm gonna bow out and do MONDO GENERATOR, because that's what we were supposed to be doing originally."
He added, "To me, you can make money doing whatever you wanna do, but it isn't about that at the end of the day. To be in KYUSS, if I'm not having a good time, it's like… When I was a kid, I had a great time doing it. It sucked being out of it. I don't wanna be fired from any band… again. I figure to walk away with my head up high and do my own thing is a respectable thing, and I think I need to do that."
Commenting on former KYUSS guitarist jorsh Homme's decision to file a federal lawsuit against Garcia and Bjork alleging "trademark infringement and consumer fraud" over the use of the KYUSS name, Oliveri said, "When people sue each other, it guarantees that a band will never be together. It just guarantees that those people will never play in the same room together again." He added, "I am friends with both sides, and I also disagree with both sides at the same time, so it's a real weird place I'm in."
Oliveri, who recently plead not guilty to all five charges stemming from his arrest last July in Hollywood after a five-hour standoff with vice squad, has a pre-trial date scheduled for April 13. If convicted, Nick faces up to 15 years behind bars.
The vice squad was called to the scene by Oliveri's neighbor who reported a "disturbance" between the now-40-year-old rocker and his girlfriend. A standoff between a SWAT team and Nick ensued before Oliveri finally agreed to let his girlfriend exit the duplex.
Oliveri tells Antiquiet, "I have a really good lawyer and he's taking great care of me. The thing is that I screwed up because I didn't … When the vice squad came to my house, which nobody in my house called, a fellating lover of ours came over and we didn't open the door for her. And she called the vice squad — which is absurd." He added, "So it's a bad scene right now, it's a bad scene, and I don't even know how I'm supposed to say that … But basically at the end of the day I screwed up 'cause I didn't open the door. I was like, 'I'm not going to open, I don't have to open the door.' I didn't think you have to open the door… [laughs] You
<!-- m -->http://www.antiquiet.com/interviews/201 ... its-kyuss/<!-- m -->
Oliveri and fellow ex-KYUSS members John Garcia (vocals) and Brant Bjork (drums) reunited for shows last year under the KYUSS LIVES! banner, in which they were joined by guitarist Bruno Fevery. The band has since toured on both sides of the Atlantic and was said to be working on a live album for a late 2012 release.
Speaking to Antiquiet in an exclusive video interview, Oliveri stated about his decision to leave KYUSS LIVES!, "John's idea, when I was [first] asked to [be a part of KYUSS LIVES!], was we were going to do a tour and promote our solo bands. Seeing John do it already with GARCIA PLAYS KYUSS at such a big level, [we thought], 'Wow, man, we could actually reach some people with our solo stuff in a very honest way and play the tunes that we have mad respect for and love as well. Basically, at the end of the day, that's what I'm doing. I'm gonna bow out and do MONDO GENERATOR, because that's what we were supposed to be doing originally."
He added, "To me, you can make money doing whatever you wanna do, but it isn't about that at the end of the day. To be in KYUSS, if I'm not having a good time, it's like… When I was a kid, I had a great time doing it. It sucked being out of it. I don't wanna be fired from any band… again. I figure to walk away with my head up high and do my own thing is a respectable thing, and I think I need to do that."
Commenting on former KYUSS guitarist jorsh Homme's decision to file a federal lawsuit against Garcia and Bjork alleging "trademark infringement and consumer fraud" over the use of the KYUSS name, Oliveri said, "When people sue each other, it guarantees that a band will never be together. It just guarantees that those people will never play in the same room together again." He added, "I am friends with both sides, and I also disagree with both sides at the same time, so it's a real weird place I'm in."
Oliveri, who recently plead not guilty to all five charges stemming from his arrest last July in Hollywood after a five-hour standoff with vice squad, has a pre-trial date scheduled for April 13. If convicted, Nick faces up to 15 years behind bars.
The vice squad was called to the scene by Oliveri's neighbor who reported a "disturbance" between the now-40-year-old rocker and his girlfriend. A standoff between a SWAT team and Nick ensued before Oliveri finally agreed to let his girlfriend exit the duplex.
Oliveri tells Antiquiet, "I have a really good lawyer and he's taking great care of me. The thing is that I screwed up because I didn't … When the vice squad came to my house, which nobody in my house called, a fellating lover of ours came over and we didn't open the door for her. And she called the vice squad — which is absurd." He added, "So it's a bad scene right now, it's a bad scene, and I don't even know how I'm supposed to say that … But basically at the end of the day I screwed up 'cause I didn't open the door. I was like, 'I'm not going to open, I don't have to open the door.' I didn't think you have to open the door… [laughs] You
<!-- m -->http://www.antiquiet.com/interviews/201 ... its-kyuss/<!-- m -->
- baron von blondle
- Ancient One
- Posts: 3660
- Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 02:24
- Location: In Trouble
- Contact:
Re: Former KYUSS Members File Suit Against KYUSS! LIVES
:internationalredneck:

[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]Peter Theobalds is a full of win.[/quote]