I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Post Reply
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by Paste Human »

I just found out about him a few hours ago. So far so good, although I can't imagine listening to this kind of music for long periods of time, or even frequently. Also until I saw a photo I assumed he was black :huh:



[youtube]jm3LEmFFj2g[/youtube]
Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by droidspawn »

mule variations, bone machine and swordfishtrombones are some of the favorite albums of all time. Welcome to the win that is Tom Waits :santa:



[youtube]1wfamPW3Eaw[/youtube]

[youtube]49tTzEifY6M[/youtube]

[youtube]yod51lr3F0U[/youtube]
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by Paste Human »

Cool, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for this hard-on bearer next time I hit up the record store.
Image
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by Paste Human »

Oh and I also love that he attached strings to a dumpster to create an instrument (according to a Letterman interview). :redneck:
Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by droidspawn »

he has 20+ albums but the most important to pick are:



Small Change

Nighthawks at the Diner

Swordfishtrombones (where the change started)

Rain Dogs

Bone Machne

Mule Variations (my personal favorite)

Bad as Me (just came out last year)
User avatar
Holocaust
Metal God
Posts: 10733
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 07:03
Location: Your mom

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by Holocaust »

His acting roles are badass



Dracula :xx:



Wristcutters :xx:
Image
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by Paste Human »

I'm listening to the older stuff now. Very nice.



I wonder if Mark Wahlberg has ever been offered to play this hard-on bearer on screen?
Image
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Holocaust"]His acting roles are badass



Dracula :xx:



Wristcutters :xx:[/quote]
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by FUKKET »

If you're into Primus, you should be aware he does lots with thems
User avatar
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø
Posts: 21723
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49
Location: Birdtown, Minnesota

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by Mesarthim »

tom waits :xx:
rhino wrote: ↑
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by Abzu »

This is like zim never having eaten ham.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius
Posts: 24044
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by jawn galliano »

also get rain dogs. and orphans has lots of good tunage on it as well :santa:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by droidspawn »

tom waits :xx:



the wire :xx:



it is a glorious combination.
User avatar
Boss Primigenius
Ancient One
Posts: 1668
Joined: 17 Dec 2011, 04:15

Re: I Can't believe I had never heard of Tom Waits

Post by Boss Primigenius »

[quote name="Derek Waters?"]also get rain dogs[/quote]



:idea:



Another one I don't have on my phone for the drive home :tear:
Post Reply