first death metal cds you ever bought?

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Post Reply
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by droidspawn »

When you were getting into death metal, which were the first few you got?



My first two were gateways and crowned in terror out of one of those Columbia house magazines for a penny :xx:



soon after that at a fye I got:



amon amarth - versus the world

decapitated - nihility

vader - litany

nile - black seeds
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

The first one I remember getting that I still enjoy was Covenant, which I traded away an Arch Enemy CD for. That must have been in 2001 or so. I still remember hearing it when it belonged to my fellating lover and being amazed at how warped and twisted the music - especially the solos - sounded. For some reason at the time I didn't want to admit that I liked it.
Image
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

[quote name="jorsh"]When you were getting into death metal, which were the first few you got?



My first two were gateways and crowned in terror out of one of those Columbia house magazines for a penny :xx:



soon after that at a fye I got:



amon amarth - versus the world

decapitated - nihility

vader - litany

nile - black seeds[/quote]



When did all this take place?
Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by droidspawn »

well my first real exposure to any death metal was seeing ma live on the extreme steel tour with pantera and slayer in fargo july 6 2001. I got gateways shortly thereafter and found the crown album in the columbia house magazine and just ordered it because I thought the cover was awesome. The others were mostly likely spring/summer 2002 when i was in PA for my first visit.
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

The fellating lover I got the Covenant CD from originally bought it as a result of seeing Morbid Angel on that very same tour :interessant: I remember when we made the exchange he paused for a second and said something like "Pain Divine is a really, really good song." And buying a metal album because of its awesome cover art takes me back :redneck:
Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by droidspawn »

they played Minneapolis the day before fargo on that tour :tear:



Close to 100 concerts later still the best I've seen
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

I really wish I made an attempt to go. I probably wouldn't have liked the music back then, but it would be nice to be able to think back on it and appreciate it after the fact. The San Jose bootleg from that tour is one of my favorite things ma ever did and it gets played regularly. They were so fucking good back then :eyes:



[youtube]jG1dK9206-I[/youtube]
Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by droidspawn »

my cousin and i were 1/3 of the way back from the stage and the flames from pantera when they opened with hellbound. i'll never forget the feeling of the heat on my skin and the chills i got at the same time. So fucking amazing
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

[quote name="jorsh"]my cousin and i were 1/3 of the way back from the stage and the flames from pantera when they opened with hellbound. i'll never forget the feeling of the heat on my skin and the chills i got at the same time. So fucking amazing[/quote]



Yeah I remember my buddy telling me that there was fire shooting out of the bass drums or something. It was funny because he had just read an interview or something shortly before where Phil talked about how they were going back to the basics with their live act :redneck:



Do you remember if Steve made that weird speech about how Morbid Angel is a death metal band like he does in the San Jose video? I've never been able to tell if that was something they discussed beforehand.
Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by droidspawn »

I don't remember any speech by steve :santa:



I do remember a person falling from the top of the stairs leading to the concrete floor in the middle of slayers set and not many people seeming to give a shit :redneck:
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

:redneck:
Image
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

There's a crazy dude - haven't seen him in a while - who's a regular at Minneapolis metal shows and uses his hands to mimic everything the drummer does, and he pounds on people's backs as he does it. From what I heard he was at the ma/pantera gig, and a giant fight broke out when he pulled that stunt with Pete's drumming.
Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by droidspawn »

it was don decker from anal blast wasnt it? hard to miss him, he was a 400 lbs red head and had awesome vocals!



obviously im joking but i did see him at a few shows in Minneapolis
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

I ran into him at Circuit City about 10 years ago :redneck: He had a Sponge Bob DVD in his hands and noticed that I was buying Testament's debut. He pulled me aside to thank me for supporting quality metal music.



I used to have a giant list of CDs to buy that I kept in my wallet, and a lot of them were out of print albums that were even hard to find on ebay at the time, let alone Best Buy or Circuit City (I didn't understand the concept of out of print at the time). I confounded the staff of Best Buy after asking them if they had Unquestionable Presence in stock back when it sold for $200 online :grin:
Image
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

I just remembered that a fellating lover used to work with Don at a store that sold underground metal. Apparently Don would drink at least a liter of straight vodka throughout the day. I'm pretty sure a Crytopsy/Vader show I went to in 2008 or so doubled as a fundraiser for liver or kidney trouble he was having.
Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by droidspawn »

See even though I don't know you i believe you about don because that's the kind of person he just was, that totally sounds like him.



Dedicated to the underground scene, he was hardcore into it. Every time anal blast played fargo he and i would talk about bands and shit and he had tables stacked with cds he was selling. I spent grips of cash every show i seen him at. He was a good dude :tear:
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

I just looked into it and it must have been him. He was associated with Nightfall records. They had a storefront in Minneapolis but it closed a long time ago; they may have still handled mail orders. I visited the the official city of the chicago cubs location about six years ago and it was very cool. I bought one of Profanity's albums, a worthy Suffocation clone if there ever was one.



[youtube]8D2Bpz-uQos[/youtube]
Image
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 13850
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by shadowalk »

For tape, it was a copy of Blessed Are The Sick that a mate copied for me. But yeah, it was a tape.



CD, that would be Sepultura's Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation album that I bought for myself.
User avatar
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius
Posts: 24044
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by jawn galliano »

pretty sure the first DM disc i ever owned was nile - catacombs, got it as a gift for xmas '98 (along with reign in blood and through silver in blood; i think i just discovered why i love the gloryhole era so very much). first one i actually purchased myself was probably covenant in '99, but nowadays it's kinda hard to remember the order i got into things back in those times.



as an aside, i remember my best fellating lover in the 5th grade bought cannibal corpse's eaten back to life on cassette, after we saw them in ace ventura when it was in the theaters. i hated it at the time, and by the time i'd come around to DM, he'd turned into an unapologetic ICP fan :redneck:
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

I was almost going to bring this up as an aside earlier: one of the weirdest things about death metal is the amount of exposure it got from Ace Ventura :redneck:
Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by droidspawn »

[quote name="Dudley"]as an aside, i remember my best fellating lover in the 5th grade bought cannibal corpse's eaten back to life on cassette, after we saw them in ace ventura when it was in the theaters. i hated it at the time, and by the time i'd come around to DM, he'd turned into an unapologetic ICP fan :redneck:[/quote]





One of the saddest things i've read in quite some time right here. Did you keep up with this friends musical tastes after this? Did he ever dismiss the icp days?
User avatar
Ninny
Metal God
Posts: 16107
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 15:24
Location: Groaningagain

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Ninny »

BATS, Cause of death, Harmony corruption, Morbid visions
User avatar
Mr. P
Ancient One
Posts: 4211
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 16:25

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Mr. P »

I can't remember :(
:xx:
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 6176
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Paste Human »

After some thought this topic provoked I think the first black metal CD I ever got was either Scarlet Evil Witching Black by Necromantia or Emperor's first two.
Image
User avatar
deckard
Metal God
Posts: 12502
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 03:34
Location: THE NORTH

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by deckard »

slipknot - iowa
User avatar
Phantoon
Ancient One
Posts: 1145
Joined: 23 May 2011, 01:47

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Phantoon »

If you can even call it death metal: Arch enemy - doomsday machine, I admit I was obsessed with that album. Then I think the first true death album after that was Zyklon - dissintergrate, followed by Gojira - From mars to sirius, and then Nile - Ithyphalic :xx:



I remember getting Zyklon and was just bowled over with the heavyness because I cranked it up loud on first play :redneck: Similar feeling for Gojira too but also with a more otherworldy spacy feeling. Then Nile came along which totally hit the spot with it's insane speed and complicated songs, topped off with the ancient desert/tomb atmosphere. My god that artwork :jizz:
User avatar
rhino
PAWG Hunter
Posts: 51143
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 04:59

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by rhino »

cc - the bleeding
User avatar
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore
Posts: 59380
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Pretty sure the first one I bought was once upon the cross
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote: ↑
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
User avatar
Bathsalt Zombie
Ancient One
Posts: 2644
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 00:05
Location: The birthplace of death metal
Contact:

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Bathsalt Zombie »

Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated.



I remember it taking a little bit longer for me to get into death metal compared to black metal. And when I got CC, I didn't buy another death metal album until further on. I do remember getting Deicide Insineratehim, and then later hearing Zos Kia Cultus from Behemoth. When the hurricanes were raping Florida back in 04, I finally got off my ass and bought Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines. My memories will always be hanging on my back porch and seeing mother nature fucking pissed off while listening to said album. Best time of my life when it comes to listening to an album. Morbid Angel came a little later for me, even though I've bought Heretic around the same time as Deicide.
Image
-M-
Ancient One
Posts: 2033
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:28

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by -M- »

I don't remember first death metal cd. I also can't remember which of dm tapes that my friends copied for me was the first. I'm almost sure, that the first dm tape I've bought was Obituary - Slowly We Rot in 1992.
User avatar
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius
Posts: 24044
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="jorsh"]
[quote name="Dudley"]as an aside, i remember my best fellating lover in the 5th grade bought cannibal corpse's eaten back to life on cassette, after we saw them in ace ventura when it was in the theaters. i hated it at the time, and by the time i'd come around to DM, he'd turned into an unapologetic ICP fan :redneck:[/quote]





One of the saddest things i've read in quite some time right here. Did you keep up with this friends musical tastes after this? Did he ever dismiss the icp days?[/quote]



no idea. to his credit though, he was never a full-on juggalo or anything, he was just into the music
User avatar
Devy
Metal God
Posts: 8634
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 01:04

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Devy »

That's like saying he didn't have AIDS, just HIV.
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]He is going to paint with brown colour the name of Morbid Angel. The colour of the shit of course.[/quote]

[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
User avatar
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius
Posts: 24044
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by jawn galliano »

i saw that post coming before i even opened the thread :redneck:



no arguing with that though, really
User avatar
Devy
Metal God
Posts: 8634
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 01:04

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Devy »

I've become predictable :frown:
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]He is going to paint with brown colour the name of Morbid Angel. The colour of the shit of course.[/quote]

[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
User avatar
M.Bison
Ancient One
Posts: 2320
Joined: 10 May 2009, 02:46
Location: Scumbria

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by M.Bison »

Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh

Akercocke - Choronzon



and still two of my absolute favourites.
Image
User avatar
agony bagony
Postwhore
Posts: 77363
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by agony bagony »

[quote name="Skinoperable"]cannibal corpse - bloodthirst[/quote]
Skinfection wrote: ↑
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by droidspawn »

[quote name="Devy"]That's like saying he didn't have AIDS, just HIV.[/quote]



:brushteeth:
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by FUKKET »

I got "Covenant" and "Heartwork" at the same time. Heartwork cost me about $42 AUD because of import stuffs at the time.

Then I got Napalm's "Peel sessions" and the "Fear Emptiness Despair"
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="jorsh"]
[quote name="Devy"]That's like saying he didn't have AIDS, just HIV.[/quote]



:brushteeth:[/quote]
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Abzu »

I think Covenant, though I already had it on tape. Or Legion.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius
Posts: 24044
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by jawn galliano »

another weird flashback:



i'd first heard legion at a fellating lover-of-a-fellating lover-of-a-fellating lover's house back in like early '98, along with the fella i bought my first bass guitar from. i took a singular hit of hash in the basement of that house, on the assurance of said fella, who swore it was exactly the same as pot. next thing i knew we materialized in a nearby plaza, hitching a ride with my earliest fellating lover and his parents, two towns over from where we lived. if said parents knew we were just out being massive fuckups, they were real sly about it.



i'm somewhat confident that the name of the dude who owned the copy of legion that we listened to is derek
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by Abzu »

:greenie:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
vO)))id
Metal God
Posts: 12253
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44

Re: first death metal cds you ever bought?

Post by vO)))id »

formulas
Post Reply