Black Seeds of Vengeance
- Meat Engine
- Ancient One
- Posts: 4451
- Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
- Contact:
Black Seeds of Vengeance
Until recently I had not listened to BSOV in a couple of years. I always took it for granted that Catacombs was my favorite, Shrines was Second, AOTW was third, and BSOV was probably fourth. I listened to BSOV something like four times in the previous three days, and I think it may be my favorite Nile album. now. I listened to "Masturbating the War God", and wondered why it took me this long to appreciate it. It is also my opinion that "To Dream of Ur" is the best of the "epic" Nile songs.
Oh, and "Defile the Gates of Ishtar" is probably the best unintentional euphemism for sex that I can conceive.
Oh, and "Defile the Gates of Ishtar" is probably the best unintentional euphemism for sex that I can conceive.
- Anjel
- Ancient One
- Posts: 1269
- Joined: 11 May 2010, 00:30
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
BSOV.
It's my favorite Nile album.
It's my favorite Nile album.
- Verbal
- The Melancholy Wizards
- Posts: 25209
- Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 03:05
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
i also have begun to appreciate bsov as uch as atconk
the album is pretty much unrelenting excellence from the opening riff of bsov right through to khetti satha shemsu (one of the best and appropriate album closers imo).
the album is pretty much unrelenting excellence from the opening riff of bsov right through to khetti satha shemsu (one of the best and appropriate album closers imo).
- Tyreese BIGGUMS
- God of Emptiness
- Posts: 592
- Joined: 05 May 2009, 10:19
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.
Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production
Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production
- Meat Engine
- Ancient One
- Posts: 4451
- Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
- Contact:
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
I would hardly call the production unlistenable. It's pretty much par for the time.
- Verbal
- The Melancholy Wizards
- Posts: 25209
- Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 03:05
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
I prefer the production on the earlier albums.
- Hugo.
- Metal God
- Posts: 15495
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
- Location: Ireland
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="Verbal"]I prefer the production on the earlier albums.[/quote]
Me too.
Ithyphallic has the worst production ive ever heard.
Me too.
Ithyphallic has the worst production ive ever heard.

- shadowalk
- Metal God
- Posts: 13850
- Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
- Location: Manila, Philippines
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="Anjel"]BSOV.
It's my favorite Nile album.[/quote]
It's my favorite Nile album.[/quote]
- vO)))id
- Metal God
- Posts: 12253
- Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
I fucking love everything from BSOV!!
And yes these songs fucking slay:
[youtube]ZaZ1-ebA95E[/youtube]
[youtube]49lDTdakCqw[/youtube]
And yes these songs fucking slay:
[youtube]ZaZ1-ebA95E[/youtube]
[youtube]49lDTdakCqw[/youtube]
- Devy
- Metal God
- Posts: 8634
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 01:04
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
I'd say the production on BSOV creates the perfect mood for the songs they were writing at the time. It creates a very oppressive atmosphere.
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]He is going to paint with brown colour the name of Morbid Angel. The colour of the shit of course.[/quote]
[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
- vO)))id
- Metal God
- Posts: 12253
- Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
Indeed! I love the production of it.
- Meat Engine
- Ancient One
- Posts: 4451
- Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
- Contact:
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
If BSOV were the point at which death metal would be considered unlistenable, then how could one listen to any of the classics?
- Haunty
- Metal God
- Posts: 12225
- Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
- Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="The Fu Monster"]I listened to "Masturbating the War God", and wondered why it took me this long to appreciate it.[/quote]
Yeah, what the fuck?
[quote name="The Fu Monster"]Oh, and "Defile the Gates of Ishtar" is probably the best unintentional euphemism for sex that I can conceive.[/quote]
I'm actually fairly well convinced that it's not unintentional. The entire song is about raping the temple whores or some shit.
[quote name="Devy"]I'd say the production on BSOV creates the perfect mood for the songs they were writing at the time. It creates a very oppressive atmosphere.[/quote]
This.
Yeah, what the fuck?
[quote name="The Fu Monster"]Oh, and "Defile the Gates of Ishtar" is probably the best unintentional euphemism for sex that I can conceive.[/quote]
I'm actually fairly well convinced that it's not unintentional. The entire song is about raping the temple whores or some shit.
[quote name="Devy"]I'd say the production on BSOV creates the perfect mood for the songs they were writing at the time. It creates a very oppressive atmosphere.[/quote]
This.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
- Lavabug
- Metal God
- Posts: 7799
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 16:15
- Location: An ocean of filth.
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
Probably my favorite Nile album.
I too share the sentiment that atconk is almost unlistenable because of the production. I'm still only able to get the gist of whats happening on the record, the sound is much too convoluted imo.
I too share the sentiment that atconk is almost unlistenable because of the production. I'm still only able to get the gist of whats happening on the record, the sound is much too convoluted imo.
- Spirits of the Deep Waters
- Ancient One
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 17:45
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
I love the catchiness of the first riff in Multitude of Foes
- Hugo.
- Metal God
- Posts: 15495
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
- Location: Ireland
- Spirits of the Deep Waters
- Ancient One
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 17:45
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="Zajebiste!"]The fast riff in The Black Flame is amazing.[/quote]
The whole tune is amazing. It's very melodic
The whole tune is amazing. It's very melodic
- Hugo.
- Metal God
- Posts: 15495
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
- Location: Ireland
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
Anyone notice how the ochestral part in masterbating is like a 6/8 ripp off of the orchestral bit in Kashmir by Led zep?

- Haunty
- Metal God
- Posts: 12225
- Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
- Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
I haven't actually. Now I'm going to have to investigate this.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
- Anjel
- Ancient One
- Posts: 1269
- Joined: 11 May 2010, 00:30
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
Nile seems to have done a lot of ripping off.
<!-- m -->http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=219192<!-- m -->
To be honest, I don't care, they are still awesome.
<!-- m -->http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=219192<!-- m -->
To be honest, I don't care, they are still awesome.
- Verbal
- The Melancholy Wizards
- Posts: 25209
- Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 03:05
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
<!-- m -->http://www.nilechat.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ass#120919<!-- m -->
[quote name="KarlSanders"]I didn't "admit" anything.
I came out of the gate with admiration and respect for Candlemass ,
and very upfront and proud of where the rifff came from.
Yes the riff is from Candlemass . It isn't exact , I changed a few tiny details, but its damn close enough to make its point.
I love Candlemass, And I love the riff. They were an inspiration to me for many years ,
and including the riff In our music was a way of showing respect and influence.
While I am at it, I would love to point out that you completely MISSED
in "Unas" the Judas Priest riff, The Rainbow riff , The Mountain Riff, and even a Kiss riff.
So maybe you aren't impressing me with your musicology one little bit.
Usually, I don't mind talking about this Unas question ,
its usually a great opportunity to talk about Candlemass
and how much they have meant to me over the years .
But being that I have answered many repectfully framed questions
on this very same topic here at the Nile BB ,
Somehow , this one seems a bit like =
calling me out amongst my friends before you even bothered to find out the whole story.
A nice thankyou to the Nile BBers who jumped in here to clear things up.
BTW, Ophiuchus , I think its bad form to speak of downloading Candlemass , and accuse me of ripping them off in the same sentence.
I would expect this nonsense over on the Relapse Board , not here.
[/quote]
[quote name="KarlSanders"]I didn't "admit" anything.
I came out of the gate with admiration and respect for Candlemass ,
and very upfront and proud of where the rifff came from.
Yes the riff is from Candlemass . It isn't exact , I changed a few tiny details, but its damn close enough to make its point.
I love Candlemass, And I love the riff. They were an inspiration to me for many years ,
and including the riff In our music was a way of showing respect and influence.
While I am at it, I would love to point out that you completely MISSED
in "Unas" the Judas Priest riff, The Rainbow riff , The Mountain Riff, and even a Kiss riff.
So maybe you aren't impressing me with your musicology one little bit.
Usually, I don't mind talking about this Unas question ,
its usually a great opportunity to talk about Candlemass
But being that I have answered many repectfully framed questions
on this very same topic here at the Nile BB ,
Somehow , this one seems a bit like =
calling me out amongst my friends before you even bothered to find out the whole story.
A nice thankyou to the Nile BBers who jumped in here to clear things up.
BTW, Ophiuchus , I think its bad form to speak of downloading Candlemass , and accuse me of ripping them off in the same sentence.
I would expect this nonsense over on the Relapse Board , not here.
- Meat Engine
- Ancient One
- Posts: 4451
- Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
- Contact:
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
Let us not forget the similarity in the closing riff from To Dream of Ur and the opening riff to Metallica's Unforgiven II. If you have a riff idea, someone has probably already had that same idea at some point in history. Borrowing or lifting a riff is forgivable, even understandable. The wholesale plagiarism of a song is not. It seems like most accusations in any music dispute lean to the former, rather than the latter.
- Anjel
- Ancient One
- Posts: 1269
- Joined: 11 May 2010, 00:30
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
I can't read that topic, I need to register and registering doesn't work.
- Hugo.
- Metal God
- Posts: 15495
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
- Location: Ireland
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
I have no problem with it either as long as you make it your own. If I hear a chord progression i like, i'll use it no fucking problem.
The quote i used in that nilechat thread was 'a good artist doesnt borrow, he steals - Pablo Picasso.' And picasso is THE greatest artist of the twentieth century bar none.
My problem is when an artist dips into the stock gene pool of overused faggotry like you hear in a lot of mainstream metal bands these days. It's just a fast track to a guaranteed generic response from the listener and i fucking hate it.
The quote i used in that nilechat thread was 'a good artist doesnt borrow, he steals - Pablo Picasso.' And picasso is THE greatest artist of the twentieth century bar none.
My problem is when an artist dips into the stock gene pool of overused faggotry like you hear in a lot of mainstream metal bands these days. It's just a fast track to a guaranteed generic response from the listener and i fucking hate it.

- zim
- Zim(a)
- Posts: 26909
- Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
- Location: couch
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music
the dead vote well wrote: ↑18 Jun 2021, 04:22moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
- Hugo.
- Metal God
- Posts: 15495
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
- Location: Ireland
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="zimberly"]i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music[/quote]
Riffs: no way.
Chord progressions: no prob. Theyre pretty[img]available[/img]as far as i'm concerned.
Riffs: no way.
Chord progressions: no prob. Theyre pretty[img]available[/img]as far as i'm concerned.

- Verbal
- The Melancholy Wizards
- Posts: 25209
- Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 03:05
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="Zajebiste!"]
[quote name="zimberly"]i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music[/quote]
Riffs: no way.
Chord progressions: no prob. Theyre pretty[img]available[/img]as far as i'm concerned.[/quote]
image doesnt appear to be available

[quote name="zimberly"]i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music[/quote]
Riffs: no way.
Chord progressions: no prob. Theyre pretty[img]available[/img]as far as i'm concerned.[/quote]
image doesnt appear to be available
- Hugo.
- Metal God
- Posts: 15495
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
- Location: Ireland
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
I hit the img rather than the i button, i'm a spastic sorry.
I do have worthwhile sentiments, i swear.
I do have worthwhile sentiments, i swear.

- Haunty
- Metal God
- Posts: 12225
- Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
- Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="Zajebiste!"]I have no problem with it either as long as you make it your own. If I hear a chord progression i like, i'll use it no fucking problem.
The quote i used in that nilechat thread was 'a good artist doesnt borrow, he steals - Pablo Picasso.' And picasso is THE greatest artist of the twentieth century bar none.
My problem is when an artist dips into the stock gene pool of overused faggotry like you hear in a lot of mainstream metal bands these days. It's just a fast track to a guaranteed generic response from the listener and i fucking hate it.[/quote]
This. I delegate you to speak for me on these matters in the future.
The quote i used in that nilechat thread was 'a good artist doesnt borrow, he steals - Pablo Picasso.' And picasso is THE greatest artist of the twentieth century bar none.
My problem is when an artist dips into the stock gene pool of overused faggotry like you hear in a lot of mainstream metal bands these days. It's just a fast track to a guaranteed generic response from the listener and i fucking hate it.[/quote]
This. I delegate you to speak for me on these matters in the future.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
- M.Bison
- Ancient One
- Posts: 2320
- Joined: 10 May 2009, 02:46
- Location: Scumbria
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
Karl Sanders used his immense girth to create a massive gravitational anomaly which tore open a hole in the time-space continuum, allowing him to go back in time and compose all of the traditional Egyptian music. It's his music. He isn't ripping anything off (other than the wrapper to his burger).
AHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA!

- zim
- Zim(a)
- Posts: 26909
- Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
- Location: couch
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
the dead vote well wrote: ↑18 Jun 2021, 04:22moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
- User
- Metal God
- Posts: 16421
- Joined: 09 Apr 2003, 05:39
- Location: Unknown
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
i've always been a mighty fan of bsov. the title track was one of their first tunes to twist my nipple. i still think catacombs is a better album, but bsov will always be in second place unless nile manage to reinvent themselves somehow
more metal
- Lavabug
- Metal God
- Posts: 7799
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 16:15
- Location: An ocean of filth.
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
Karl Sanders used his immense girth to create a massive gravitational anomaly which tore open a hole in the time-space continuum, allowing him to go back in time and compose all of the traditional Egyptian music. It's his music. He isn't ripping anything off (other than the wrapper to his burger).
AHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA!
- Syysysyd
- Ancient One
- Posts: 1246
- Joined: 19 May 2009, 08:49
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
my favorite nile album. awesome atmosphere. D:
- Abzu
- Postwhore
- Posts: 45613
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
- Location: next door
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="Tyreese BIGGUMS"]Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.
Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production
[/quote]
I don't think I like you anymore.
Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production
I don't think I like you anymore.
;,,;ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
- Haunty
- Metal God
- Posts: 12225
- Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
- Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="desolation"]
[quote name="Tyreese BIGGUMS"]Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.
Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production
[/quote]
I don't think I like you anymore.[/quote]
[quote name="Tyreese BIGGUMS"]Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.
Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production
I don't think I like you anymore.[/quote]

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
- TamPron
- Metal God
- Posts: 16582
- Joined: 24 Apr 2009, 00:50
- Location: Rod Stewart
- Contact:
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]


- Meat Engine
- Ancient One
- Posts: 4451
- Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
- Contact:
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
Why is it funny? The example is just obvious. It's been discussed to death.
- Hugo.
- Metal God
- Posts: 15495
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
- Location: Ireland
- Devy
- Metal God
- Posts: 8634
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 01:04
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
DUDE I'VE HEARD THAT BAND THEY'RE SUPERBADASS
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]He is going to paint with brown colour the name of Morbid Angel. The colour of the shit of course.[/quote]
[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
- Hugo.
- Metal God
- Posts: 15495
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
- Location: Ireland
- Abzu
- Postwhore
- Posts: 45613
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
- Location: next door
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="TAM TAM"]It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.[/quote]
I was thinking it, but...
[quote name="The Fu Monster"]It's been discussed to death.[/quote]
I was thinking it, but...
[quote name="The Fu Monster"]It's been discussed to death.[/quote]
;,,;ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
- vega
- Metal God
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: 10 Aug 2010, 22:33
- Location: spain
- TamPron
- Metal God
- Posts: 16582
- Joined: 24 Apr 2009, 00:50
- Location: Rod Stewart
- Contact:
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="desolation"]
[quote name="TAM TAM"]It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.[/quote]
I was thinking it, but...
[quote name="The Fu Monster"]It's been discussed to death.[/quote][/quote]
Please forgive me for bringing it up.
[quote name="TAM TAM"]It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.[/quote]
I was thinking it, but...
[quote name="The Fu Monster"]It's been discussed to death.[/quote][/quote]
Please forgive me for bringing it up.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]


- Hugo.
- Metal God
- Posts: 15495
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
- Location: Ireland
- Abzu
- Postwhore
- Posts: 45613
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
- Location: next door
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
KISS THE HEAD OF MY ATHEIST PENIS AND REDEMPTION SHALL BE YOURS!

;,,;ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
- Haunty
- Metal God
- Posts: 12225
- Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
- Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
REDEMPTION DENIED 

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
- TamPron
- Metal God
- Posts: 16582
- Joined: 24 Apr 2009, 00:50
- Location: Rod Stewart
- Contact:
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
[quote name="desolation"]KISS THE HEAD OF MY ATHEIST PENIS AND REDEMPTION SHALL BE YOURS!
[/quote]
I CANNOT DO
I CANNOT DO
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]


- Abzu
- Postwhore
- Posts: 45613
- Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
- Location: next door
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
;,,;ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
- Mutilator
- Ancient One
- Posts: 1578
- Joined: 11 May 2009, 02:44
- Location: Utrecht NL
Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance
HEre s recent interview with Karl and he talks a bit about staying in David Vincents house:
[youtube]UTLVczYbgAg&[/youtube]
[youtube]UTLVczYbgAg&[/youtube]
