Black Seeds of Vengeance

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
User avatar
Meat Engine
Ancient One
Posts: 4451
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
Contact:

Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Meat Engine »

Until recently I had not listened to BSOV in a couple of years. I always took it for granted that Catacombs was my favorite, Shrines was Second, AOTW was third, and BSOV was probably fourth. I listened to BSOV something like four times in the previous three days, and I think it may be my favorite Nile album. now. I listened to "Masturbating the War God", and wondered why it took me this long to appreciate it. It is also my opinion that "To Dream of Ur" is the best of the "epic" Nile songs.



Oh, and "Defile the Gates of Ishtar" is probably the best unintentional euphemism for sex that I can conceive.
User avatar
Anjel
Ancient One
Posts: 1269
Joined: 11 May 2010, 00:30

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Anjel »

BSOV. :xx:



It's my favorite Nile album.
User avatar
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards
Posts: 25209
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 03:05

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Verbal »

i also have begun to appreciate bsov as uch as atconk



the album is pretty much unrelenting excellence from the opening riff of bsov right through to khetti satha shemsu (one of the best and appropriate album closers imo).
User avatar
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness
Posts: 592
Joined: 05 May 2009, 10:19

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Tyreese BIGGUMS »

Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.



Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production :vomit:
User avatar
Meat Engine
Ancient One
Posts: 4451
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
Contact:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Meat Engine »

I would hardly call the production unlistenable. It's pretty much par for the time.
User avatar
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards
Posts: 25209
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 03:05

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Verbal »

I prefer the production on the earlier albums.
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="Verbal"]I prefer the production on the earlier albums.[/quote]



Me too.



Ithyphallic has the worst production ive ever heard.
Image
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 13850
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by shadowalk »

[quote name="Anjel"]BSOV. :xx:



It's my favorite Nile album.[/quote]
User avatar
vO)))id
Metal God
Posts: 12253
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by vO)))id »

I fucking love everything from BSOV!!

And yes these songs fucking slay:



[youtube]ZaZ1-ebA95E[/youtube]



[youtube]49lDTdakCqw[/youtube]
User avatar
Devy
Metal God
Posts: 8634
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 01:04

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Devy »

I'd say the production on BSOV creates the perfect mood for the songs they were writing at the time. It creates a very oppressive atmosphere.
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]He is going to paint with brown colour the name of Morbid Angel. The colour of the shit of course.[/quote]

[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
User avatar
vO)))id
Metal God
Posts: 12253
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by vO)))id »

Indeed! I love the production of it.
User avatar
Meat Engine
Ancient One
Posts: 4451
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
Contact:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Meat Engine »

If BSOV were the point at which death metal would be considered unlistenable, then how could one listen to any of the classics?
User avatar
Haunty
Metal God
Posts: 12225
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Haunty »

[quote name="The Fu Monster"]I listened to "Masturbating the War God", and wondered why it took me this long to appreciate it.[/quote]



Yeah, what the fuck? :redneck:



[quote name="The Fu Monster"]Oh, and "Defile the Gates of Ishtar" is probably the best unintentional euphemism for sex that I can conceive.[/quote]



I'm actually fairly well convinced that it's not unintentional. The entire song is about raping the temple whores or some shit.



[quote name="Devy"]I'd say the production on BSOV creates the perfect mood for the songs they were writing at the time. It creates a very oppressive atmosphere.[/quote]



This.
Image



Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
User avatar
Lavabug
Metal God
Posts: 7799
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 16:15
Location: An ocean of filth.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Lavabug »

Probably my favorite Nile album.



I too share the sentiment that atconk is almost unlistenable because of the production. I'm still only able to get the gist of whats happening on the record, the sound is much too convoluted imo.
User avatar
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One
Posts: 1324
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 17:45

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

I love the catchiness of the first riff in Multitude of Foes
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Hugo. »

The fast riff in The Black Flame is amazing.
Image
User avatar
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One
Posts: 1324
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 17:45

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

[quote name="Zajebiste!"]The fast riff in The Black Flame is amazing.[/quote]



The whole tune is amazing. It's very melodic :idea:
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Hugo. »

Anyone notice how the ochestral part in masterbating is like a 6/8 ripp off of the orchestral bit in Kashmir by Led zep?
Image
User avatar
Haunty
Metal God
Posts: 12225
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Haunty »

I haven't actually. Now I'm going to have to investigate this.
Image



Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
User avatar
Anjel
Ancient One
Posts: 1269
Joined: 11 May 2010, 00:30

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Anjel »

Nile seems to have done a lot of ripping off.

<!-- m -->http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=219192<!-- m -->



To be honest, I don't care, they are still awesome.
User avatar
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards
Posts: 25209
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 03:05

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Verbal »

<!-- m -->http://www.nilechat.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ass#120919<!-- m -->



[quote name="KarlSanders"]I didn't "admit" anything.



I came out of the gate with admiration and respect for Candlemass ,

and very upfront and proud of where the rifff came from.



Yes the riff is from Candlemass . It isn't exact , I changed a few tiny details, but its damn close enough to make its point.



I love Candlemass, And I love the riff. They were an inspiration to me for many years ,

and including the riff In our music was a way of showing respect and influence.



While I am at it, I would love to point out that you completely MISSED

in "Unas" the Judas Priest riff, The Rainbow riff , The Mountain Riff, and even a Kiss riff.



So maybe you aren't impressing me with your musicology one little bit.



Usually, I don't mind talking about this Unas question ,

its usually a great opportunity to talk about Candlemass :pepper: and how much they have meant to me over the years .



But being that I have answered many repectfully framed questions

on this very same topic here at the Nile BB ,



Somehow , this one seems a bit like =

calling me out amongst my friends before you even bothered to find out the whole story.



A nice thankyou to the Nile BBers who jumped in here to clear things up.



BTW, Ophiuchus , I think its bad form to speak of downloading Candlemass , and accuse me of ripping them off in the same sentence.



I would expect this nonsense over on the Relapse Board , not here. :frown:[/quote]
User avatar
Meat Engine
Ancient One
Posts: 4451
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
Contact:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Meat Engine »

Let us not forget the similarity in the closing riff from To Dream of Ur and the opening riff to Metallica's Unforgiven II. If you have a riff idea, someone has probably already had that same idea at some point in history. Borrowing or lifting a riff is forgivable, even understandable. The wholesale plagiarism of a song is not. It seems like most accusations in any music dispute lean to the former, rather than the latter.
User avatar
Anjel
Ancient One
Posts: 1269
Joined: 11 May 2010, 00:30

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Anjel »

I can't read that topic, I need to register and registering doesn't work.
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Hugo. »

I have no problem with it either as long as you make it your own. If I hear a chord progression i like, i'll use it no fucking problem.



The quote i used in that nilechat thread was 'a good artist doesnt borrow, he steals - Pablo Picasso.' And picasso is THE greatest artist of the twentieth century bar none.



My problem is when an artist dips into the stock gene pool of overused faggotry like you hear in a lot of mainstream metal bands these days. It's just a fast track to a guaranteed generic response from the listener and i fucking hate it.
Image
User avatar
zim
Zim(a)
Posts: 26909
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: couch

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by zim »

i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music
the dead vote well wrote: ↑
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="zimberly"]i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music[/quote]





Riffs: no way.



Chord progressions: no prob. Theyre pretty[img]available[/img]as far as i'm concerned.
Image
User avatar
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards
Posts: 25209
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 03:05

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Verbal »

[quote name="Zajebiste!"]
[quote name="zimberly"]i don't think I would ever be okay with using someone's riffs in my own music[/quote]





Riffs: no way.



Chord progressions: no prob. Theyre pretty[img]available[/img]as far as i'm concerned.[/quote]



image doesnt appear to be available

:rshot:
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Hugo. »

I hit the img rather than the i button, i'm a spastic sorry.



I do have worthwhile sentiments, i swear.
Image
User avatar
Haunty
Metal God
Posts: 12225
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Haunty »

[quote name="Zajebiste!"]I have no problem with it either as long as you make it your own. If I hear a chord progression i like, i'll use it no fucking problem.



The quote i used in that nilechat thread was 'a good artist doesnt borrow, he steals - Pablo Picasso.' And picasso is THE greatest artist of the twentieth century bar none.



My problem is when an artist dips into the stock gene pool of overused faggotry like you hear in a lot of mainstream metal bands these days. It's just a fast track to a guaranteed generic response from the listener and i fucking hate it.[/quote]



This. I delegate you to speak for me on these matters in the future.
Image



Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
User avatar
M.Bison
Ancient One
Posts: 2320
Joined: 10 May 2009, 02:46
Location: Scumbria

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by M.Bison »

Karl Sanders used his immense girth to create a massive gravitational anomaly which tore open a hole in the time-space continuum, allowing him to go back in time and compose all of the traditional Egyptian music. It's his music. He isn't ripping anything off (other than the wrapper to his burger).


AHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA! :lol:
Image
User avatar
zim
Zim(a)
Posts: 26909
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: couch

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by zim »

:lol: :lol:
the dead vote well wrote: ↑
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
User avatar
User
Metal God
Posts: 16421
Joined: 09 Apr 2003, 05:39
Location: Unknown

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by User »

i've always been a mighty fan of bsov. the title track was one of their first tunes to twist my nipple. i still think catacombs is a better album, but bsov will always be in second place unless nile manage to reinvent themselves somehow
more metal
User avatar
Lavabug
Metal God
Posts: 7799
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 16:15
Location: An ocean of filth.

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Lavabug »

Karl Sanders used his immense girth to create a massive gravitational anomaly which tore open a hole in the time-space continuum, allowing him to go back in time and compose all of the traditional Egyptian music. It's his music. He isn't ripping anything off (other than the wrapper to his burger).


AHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA! :lol:
:gay:
User avatar
Syysysyd
Ancient One
Posts: 1246
Joined: 19 May 2009, 08:49

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Syysysyd »

my favorite nile album. awesome atmosphere. D:
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Tyreese BIGGUMS"]Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.



Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production :vomit:[/quote]

I don't think I like you anymore.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
Haunty
Metal God
Posts: 12225
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Haunty »

[quote name="desolation"]
[quote name="Tyreese BIGGUMS"]Really not a fan of this, or Amonst the Catacombs. I don't like the production at all.



Don't get me wrong, in a live context the songs are alright. But I can't listen to the albums cos of the production :vomit:[/quote]

I don't think I like you anymore.[/quote]
Image



Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
User avatar
TamPron
Metal God
Posts: 16582
Joined: 24 Apr 2009, 00:50
Location: Rod Stewart
Contact:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by TamPron »

It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Image
User avatar
Meat Engine
Ancient One
Posts: 4451
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 02:55
Contact:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Meat Engine »

Why is it funny? The example is just obvious. It's been discussed to death.
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="The Fu Monster"]Why is it funny? [/quote]



:angela8:
Image
User avatar
Devy
Metal God
Posts: 8634
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 01:04

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Devy »

DUDE I'VE HEARD THAT BAND THEY'RE SUPERBADASS
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]He is going to paint with brown colour the name of Morbid Angel. The colour of the shit of course.[/quote]

[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Hugo. »

I LIKE ME ANDTHATS ALL THAT MATTERS, RIGHT?!!!!!!!
Image
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="TAM TAM"]It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.[/quote]

I was thinking it, but...



[quote name="The Fu Monster"]It's been discussed to death.[/quote]
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
vega
Metal God
Posts: 6028
Joined: 10 Aug 2010, 22:33
Location: spain

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by vega »

this is great album. total fruital. :bang:
Image
User avatar
TamPron
Metal God
Posts: 16582
Joined: 24 Apr 2009, 00:50
Location: Rod Stewart
Contact:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by TamPron »

[quote name="desolation"]
[quote name="TAM TAM"]It's funny that now one mentioned the "Mars/Rameses, Bringer of War" thing.[/quote]

I was thinking it, but...



[quote name="The Fu Monster"]It's been discussed to death.[/quote][/quote]

Please forgive me for bringing it up.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Image
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Hugo. »

No, you havent grovelled enough. MOAH!
Image
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Abzu »

KISS THE HEAD OF MY ATHEIST PENIS AND REDEMPTION SHALL BE YOURS!

:redneck:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
Haunty
Metal God
Posts: 12225
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 01:28
Location: using Thibault to cancel out Capo Ferro

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Haunty »

REDEMPTION DENIED :xx:
Image



Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
User avatar
TamPron
Metal God
Posts: 16582
Joined: 24 Apr 2009, 00:50
Location: Rod Stewart
Contact:

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by TamPron »

[quote name="desolation"]KISS THE HEAD OF MY ATHEIST PENIS AND REDEMPTION SHALL BE YOURS!

:redneck:[/quote]

I CANNOT DO
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Image
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Abzu »

:brushteeth:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
Mutilator
Ancient One
Posts: 1578
Joined: 11 May 2009, 02:44
Location: Utrecht NL

Re: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Post by Mutilator »

HEre s recent interview with Karl and he talks a bit about staying in David Vincents house:



[youtube]UTLVczYbgAg&[/youtube]
Post Reply