Why should I like Tool?

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Post Reply
User avatar
Devy
Metal God
Posts: 8634
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 01:04

Why should I like Tool?

Post by Devy »

I've never gotten round to really listening to them. Yes I've heard the singles and been confused by the videos, but they're never pulled me in. I'm considering launching another assault on them, but can't be arsed deciding where to start.



You do it for me. :santa:
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]He is going to paint with brown colour the name of Morbid Angel. The colour of the shit of course.[/quote]

[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by Abzu »

It can't hurt to start with Opiate and just move forward chronologically. Opiate is their first ep and a collection of their heaviest songs at the time of recording.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User avatar
rhino
PAWG Hunter
Posts: 51143
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 04:59

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by rhino »

I say start with aenima
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45613
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="rhino"]I say start with aenima[/quote]

But that will make everything else disappointing. :redneck:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by droidspawn »

I also think Opiate is the best place to start. Then Undertown and 10,000 Days. Aenima and Lateralus last, take your pick and have a box of kleenex ready :santa:
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 13850
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by shadowalk »

I agree with beginning on Opiate.
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by FUKKET »

I've never been into them, nor see what the big wow factor is.

I like "Sober" though and the clip is fucking :xx: :xx: :xx: :xx:
User avatar
neckred
Ancient One
Posts: 3659
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 10:43
Location: King George

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by neckred »

Opiate and/or Undertow
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
agony bagony
Postwhore
Posts: 77363
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by agony bagony »

to actually try and answer your question, i would say because there's a lot of tasty riffage and drawn-out atmospheric stuff at work. maynard's lyrics can be a mite heavy-handed (though sometimes that's the point--as in "hooker with a penis"--and done to good effect), and i think a lot of the "mystique" the band cultivates around itself is pretentious to the max, but there's no denying a lot of the very quietly sinister stuff at work
Skinfection wrote: ↑
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
User avatar
Ninny
Metal God
Posts: 16107
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 15:24
Location: Groaningagain

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by Ninny »

[quote name="rhino"]I say start with aenima[/quote]

:idea: <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm38Ojh61lY<!-- m -->
User avatar
supa tuna
Ancient One
Posts: 4496
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 03:40
Location: The compound

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by supa tuna »

opiate is my favorite album, so, you should start there.



and



[quote name="Junkyard God"]Undertown[/quote]



:frown:
Image

Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by droidspawn »

[quote name="Kasper Berton"]opiate is my favorite album, so, you should start there.



and



[quote name="Junkyard God"]Undertown[/quote]



:frown:[/quote]

Are you implying that I didn't know the name of the album was Undertow? Because, if so, I give the :frown: right back



It was a typo. :santa:
User avatar
supa tuna
Ancient One
Posts: 4496
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 03:40
Location: The compound

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by supa tuna »

[quote name="Junkyard God"]
[quote name="Kasper Berton"]opiate is my favorite album, so, you should start there.



and



[quote name="Junkyard God"]Undertown[/quote]



:frown:[/quote]

Are you implying that I didn't know the name of the album was Undertow? Because, if so, I give the :frown: right back



It was a typo. :santa:[/quote]



i figured it was a typo, i guess it should have been a :redneck:
Image

Image
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1
Posts: 49521
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: to the depths, in degradation

Re: Why should I like Tool?

Post by droidspawn »

That would make more sense :santa:
Post Reply