Who actually invented the blast?

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Post Reply
User avatar
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness
Posts: 642
Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 05:25
Location: the official city of the chicago cubs

Who actually invented the blast?

Post by LAVAGOD »

We all know Pete has claimed himself the founder of the blast, yet many people believe Napalm Death was the first band. I read somewhere that Scum has the first recorded blast's (side B was recorded in 1986). There's many mixed opinions and variations of stories we've all heard. But who actually did it first? I would love to hear the first beat ever blasted that started it all :santa:
LAVA!!!
User avatar
Anjel
Ancient One
Posts: 1269
Joined: 11 May 2010, 00:30

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Anjel »

It depends on what you consider blastbeats.

IMO Pete was the first one who did it tightly enough, Scum is just really sloppy.



Also:

[youtube]vZimqldbf7w[/youtube]
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Hugo. »

Yeah, buddy rich. But its generally a toss up between pete and rat, the original napalm death drummer.
Image
User avatar
Devy
Metal God
Posts: 8634
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 01:04

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Devy »

[quote name="Skinoperable"]some jazz drummer[/quote]



This is what I always assumed too.
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]He is going to paint with brown colour the name of Morbid Angel. The colour of the shit of course.[/quote]

[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Hugo. »

A more pressing question is: who over-uses the fuck out of it?
Image
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Hugo. »

Buddy Rich also invented the gravity roll.
Image
User avatar
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius
Posts: 24044
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by jawn galliano »

buddy rich was far too badass for his own good
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Hugo. »

Actually, the worst are that new breed of 'token' blasters. As in "oh people will know we're trying to be N'sync with guitars if we dont have a blasting section here."



*followed by breakdown*
Image
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Hugo. »

Ive whittled my tendancy to do that down to about 50% of the time :redneck:



BUT I'M DROP A NOW, SO ITS COOL RIGHT?
Image
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15495
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Hugo. »

About 80% of my riffs span 3 strings. Its kind of a novelty then when you chug out something simple. I always used to play in standard, I have to say I like the dynamic of the drop low E.
Image
User avatar
Devy
Metal God
Posts: 8634
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 01:04

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Devy »

[quote name="Hugo"]About 80% of my riffs span 3 strings. Its kind of a novelty then when you chug out something simple. I always used to play in standard, I have to say I like the dynamic of the drop low E.[/quote]



If you're ever feeling saucy, you should try an open tuning. I've got one of my guitars in Open C and it's stupidly fun.
[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]He is going to paint with brown colour the name of Morbid Angel. The colour of the shit of course.[/quote]

[quote name="Ninny"]There was a whistling fat woman at the bus stop, I had to walk away[/quote]
User avatar
zim
Zim(a)
Posts: 26909
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: couch

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by zim »

i had some good jams last night :bang:
the dead vote well wrote: ↑
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
User avatar
Olden Polynice
Ancient One
Posts: 1313
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 05:46

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by Olden Polynice »

Was the Zepplin drummer really the first to use double kicks?
Image
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Devy"]
[quote name="Skinoperable"]some jazz drummer[/quote]



This is what I always assumed too.[/quote]





as everyone has said, Buddy Rich.

Elvin Jones also did some on some recordings i've got from the 50s. Mostly in during solos.



But as folks said, it's like asking "who invented tapping?"

some dude in the 16 Century on his 10 string acoustic, wearing a wig.
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="mabb_"]Was the Zepplin drummer really the first to use double kicks?[/quote]



Ginger Baker maybe.

I'm sure I've seen pics form really early 60s of drummer with 2x kicks.

around the area when the 'power-trio' thing was coming into existence.
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="mabb_"]Was the Zepplin drummer really the first to use double kicks?[/quote]



Ginger Baker maybe.

I'm sure I've seen pics form really early 60s of drummer with 2x kicks.

around the area when the 'power-trio' thing was coming into existence.[/quote]



wait, i'm sure i've seen a pic from 50s, of a jazz dude with 2x.
User avatar
FUKKET
Metal God
Posts: 8909
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:11
Location: Heranus
Contact:

Re: Who actually invented the blast?

Post by FUKKET »

Tony Williams possibly - but maybe that was early 70s (when fusion came along)
Post Reply